The Toshiba 50H81, 2 hours in Best Buy and me

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Beacom, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I know there are some other brave souls on this board braving B&M's and show rooms to find a new HD RPTV so here's a report of my evening at Best Buy.
    I went in at lunch and they had the 50H81 which I have been waiting to seen in person for a while. I returned after work armed with VE and "What Women Want". I was able to convince an employee to hook up a DVD player. To my surprise he grabbed a JVC progressive model and a monster component cable and hooked it up for me. Sweet!
    So I went straight to Chapter 15 and set colors,contrast etc. Contrast came down from 100% to about 35. Brightness was left a little high to compensate for the lighting conditions. The set had different readings for the 2 pluge patterns. The 1st one was easier to set than the second one. This is the same as my Panny and I think this means it doesn't hold black?
    After fighting with the DVD player to set it to a 16x9 ratio I was able to view the VE demo material. It looks pretty good. I hesitate to say excellent because I think some of the material has different quality film material (varying amounts of grain). I have not noticed this on my 32". I did notice it on the 50". Several of the scenes that seemed of better source were great. (I was sat 8 ft away as this will be my viewing distance).
    I then threw in "What Women Want" and sat back. The picture was very good once I did a 9 point conversion (I really needed a 64 point conversion). Blacks were good and the picture was smooth. There didn't appear to be a huge red push to my naked eye. I did notice that at 8ft I could see some grain at times. Not that this was a bad thing. I think my Panny Rp91 and a good component cable will give better results.
    To the negatives. No real sinking of the connections on the back for those of us with large cables. Thats pretty standard from what I've seen recently. The screen has a bad geometry issue: bottom left. It bows down towards the edge. BB employee said he thought the screen looked warped. If thats not the case menus would need to be explored for geometry controls.
    I left the biggest for last. SVM was highly noticeable on this set. Highly annoying as I don't notice it too much on my 32". I really hope there is an alternative to disconnecting the wires from the board.
    Once I was satisfied I flicked back to the digital BB loop and the set looked better than the rest. Different but better.
    Overall I was impressed with everything I saw. Good picture, good menu system and solid looking chasis. The only negative that sticks out for me is SVM. I'm close to buying this set and will be going back tomorrow with my wife for another look.
    Anyone who wants me too check out anything let me know. I'll update the thread after my second viewing.

2. Lawrence Samoyloff

Lawrence Samoyloff Auditioning

When you go back, try putting the set in "Movie mode" which apparently disables SVM on Tosh sets. Let us know how it looks with DBS as well please.

3. Ryan_D

Ryan_D Agent

The screen has a bad geometry issue: bottom left. It bows down towards the edge. BB employee said he thought the screen looked warped. If thats not the case menus would need to be explored for geometry controls.
    That's interesting. My 65H80 had the exact same problem. It was easy enough to fix with the service menu convergence.

4. Michael St. Clair

How do smooth-scrolling end credits look on this set? That is an acid test for 540p upconversion...

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. Andrew Beacom

Phil,
    I got the impression last night that the Toshiba menu wasn't going to let me change the settings on the screen modes. I could change values in Preference but if you change values in Movie it wants you to save them as preference.
    Does this mean that only the preference settings for each input can be changed and saved?

7. Phil Iturralde

quote: . . . if you change values in Movie it wants you to save them as preference.[/quote]
    That's correct. I did that for each input as follows:
    ANT1:............ Outside Antenna
    VIDEO 1:......... Panasonic Hi-Fi VHS
    VIDEO 2:......... Pioneer LD
    VIDEO 3:......... Sony Playstation 2 (my son's)
    ColorStream HD1:. Panasonic DVD player
    For each input except HD1;
    1) Selected "Movie" mode
    2) Changed the values to match my DVD Video Calibration on HD1
    3) Made any minor adjustment based on Source (Video #1 & #2)
    4) Press Saved = "Preference"
    When you enter any mode, the saved modifications are there.
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 03, 2001 at 01:35 PM]

8. Andrew Beacom

Phil,
    SO that means that the manual is correct in that Sports, Movie and Normal (?) are factory presets that cannot be changed as such.
    But like you said all the input sources can be changed and saved all under Preference.

9. Phil Iturralde

10. Andrew Beacom

Phil,
    I had read the post by marks over at the spot but I am still hoping that someone will discover a way to disable SVM without climbing inside my set.
    Now on the previous models SVM was disabled in Film mode. Is this still the case? And if is is, how useful is this if you can only change the front panel controls on preference?
    Maybe I am missing something simple with the menu's?

11. Phil Iturralde

Well, if you select the "Movie" mode (= Film Mode?), that should disable SVM - Lawrence Samoyloff (2nd post above) mentions that and I've read that @ other Toshiba threads.
    That's why I select "Movie" prior to changing/saving the settings.
    Phil
    ------------------
    http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on August 03, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

12. Andrew Beacom

Phil,
    >>That's why I select "Movie" prior to changing/saving the settings.

13. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

The easy way to tell if SVM is on/off is to get the AVIA disc and run a needle+pulse pattern. On the bottom half of the screen, where there is a black line/white background, there will be ringing around the line (appearing like a light-gray border between the truly black line and the white background.
    SVM off will produce the solid black line and then go straight to the white background, with no gray border or haze around the line.

14. Andrew Beacom

Carlo,
    I have VE and it has a pattern similar to the one you described. It's the one used to set contrast. I don't remember noticing any ringing when I calibrated last night.

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Haven't used VE but it sounds like the same pattern. You should be set, then!

16. Phil Iturralde

17. Andrew Beacom

Phil,
    Erm, did you mean 'Yes' SVM is On or 'Yes' SVM is Off?

18. Phil Iturralde

19. Andrew Beacom

Just a quick update.
    I checked out the set again last night and was equally impressed. I didn't have VE or AVIA with me to do the pulse needle check for SVM but I am pretty sure it can be turned off via the user settings.
    Basically it seems if you go to Movie/Film(?) mode and make a change it transfers those settings to preference where they can be saved for each input when your done. Film mode still seems, to my naked eye, to disable SVM and making changes there and then saving under preference seems to transfer the non-visable option of SVM=NO to your preference setting.
    My wife has given the go ahead so I am now going internet price shopping for the lowest price I can find. Then my friendly neighbourhood Sears salesman is going to price match for me.
    With SVM seemingly disabled in the same way as previous models it looks like this sets biggest problem is the glare screen. There seems to be a little Red push but not as much as Mits.

20. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I've heard from a number of sources that SVM remains off so long as you start your calibration in Movie mode. You might want to not only select Movie but also save it as the current setting then go from there.
    I would also like to point out that geometry and convergence errors are to be expected with a stock TV. They might have been perfect at the factory but travel and weather changes will have taken their toll. Expect to roll up your sleeves and implement some of the tweaks identified here and at Errol's HDTV for the best performance.
    Do the new sets have completely separate picture memories? Last years had the ridiculous limitation of one setting for all Video inputs - would the extra two memory slots have killed Toshiba to implement?!! At least the HD1 and HD2 inputs are unique, but still...
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."