What's new

The Tool Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Let's all stop and think about, the greatest prog band right now TooL......It doesn't get any better than Maynards singing, Dannys Drumming, Adams and Justins awesome, creative, guitar, and bass playing.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I can sit here an talk all day about how great Tool is. Tool is a band that has not gotten the airplay, yet they are able to sell out large venuesand sell an assload of albums. Tool is one of those bands that I listen to and think that great music is still alive during these mediocre times.

I can listen to songs like Pushit, Intolerance, Opiate, Stinkfist, Bottom, Crawl Away, Parabola, Aenima, Lateralus, Flood, The Grudge, Third Eye, Hooker With a Penis all day long. Take Third Eye for example. There is enough musical information in it to make a few different songs, yet Tool is able to masterfully mold them together into a 11+ minute masterpiece.

Tool has my favorite singer (Maynard) and my favorite drummer (Danny). I can't wait to see them again this summer (my 5th time).

-Dean-

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Tool is a band that has not gotten the airplay, yet they are able to sell out large venuesand sell an assload of albums.
That's not fair. I hear them on the radio all the time, which is quite amazing as their material doesn't lend itself to the "single" format easily- yet three songs from Lateralus are played all the time.

This just goes to show you that even in this desolate pop music environment, the demand for some quality material can be overwhelming.

I didn't want to like Tool. My musical snobbery fought it. But dagnabbit, I just couldn't stop playing Aenima repeatedly.

When it comes to manipulating their sonic vocabulary to create tension, they are the best band since King Crimson. Other bands pretend to be angry, but they really are. It's not just in lyrics or the singing, but in the rhythm section and the variations on the riffs.

The best rhythm section in metal out there today.

I will be seeing them on August 16th- it will be my first time. I can't wait.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Mike and others....

I love Tool's music as much as the next guy. They are easily the best hard rock/prog/metal band on the planet right now and have been a breath of fresh air ever since they came on the scene about 10 years ago. They are one incredible band.

However...I think they lack something live. They sound incredible in a live setting, however they don't give you a "show"...they just play. While some people think this is all well and good, others feel slightly cheated. If I wanted to hear perfect reproductions of the songs on the albums, I'd listen to the albums.

For instance, when I saw them at the Hartford Civic Center about 9 months ago, you would have thought all 4 band members had magnets in the bottom of their shoes as they were stuck in place for about 2 hours. I'm dead serious when I say not one of the guys moved more than 2 feet in diameter off their spot on stage all night. What is worse is that I had front row seats off the side of the stage, but because Maynard decided he wanted to stay in the recesses of the stage all night, he was completely blocked off from my viewpoint by the stage riser.

Great band, great sounding live band, but if you are looking for a "show"...catch KISS the next time they are in town if they haven't hung it up yet.

The only cool part of the Tool show visually were the naked man and woman in full body paint hanging from the ceiling and freaking out at every guitar crunchy riff. That was cool. Other than that, not much eye candy there. Very little emotion shown by the band either. They looked like robots.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Yes, a great band that took me awhile to get into, now I am hooked.

I am eagerly awaiting tickets to go on sale for the Continental Airlines Arena show for August 15th.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Tool is in town with Ozzfest tomorrow. But, tomorrow is my wife's birthday.

Tool is a great band and I like them a lot. But I love my wife.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Tool is a great band and I like them a lot. But I love my wife.
I think someone needs to get their priorities straightened out. :)
As far as their live show goes, Tool is not a "jam band" like the Dead , Phish, or Dave Matthews. They play their songs note for note or they play different vesions to spice things up, like the last time I saw them at Deer Creek. They played a whacked out version of Stinkfist and it was killer. You will not see metal bands do jam sessions. As far as them not moving, this is not uncommon for them, but I am bummed you didn't get to see Maynard, because he is a freak. His body moves unlike anything I have ever seen. A lot of the time I will catch the band watching him. Plus, they don't need to move much, their music does the talking. :)
I like "jam bands" live and I like "note for note bands" live as well. It impresses the hell out of me when I hear a Tool song live. There is so much going on in thse songs, I think it would be hard to move all over the place and play those songs.
-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I forgot to add that the reason Maynard is back in the corner for this tour is becase he has a screen behind him playing the footage that is on the big screen. It wouldn't be good for the band to have that screen blocking them. Seeing Maynard in front of those images was disturbing sometimes. :)
-Dean-

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Evan, that suits me just fine. I generally am not looking for a "show," I want to hear musical performances. Bands like Kiss and Alice Cooper are silly fun, but not my thing. To me, there is something truly magical about hearing excellent musicians perform interesting music that is heads above any makeup or theatrics.

Besides, I have heard that Maynard is an interesting performer.

But, if they just stand there and play, I will be more than happy.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Mike,

It sounds like you are really going to enjoy the show, but then again, I don't know how one wouldn't enjoy a Tool show.

-Dean-

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and Dean is right...they are technically perfect. Note for note it sounds like you are listening to the album. It's truly amazing. But eye candy it is not. I get off more on the interaction with the fans in the crowd as they get really into it more than actually watching the band.

StevenW

Second Unit
For instance, when I saw them at the Hartford Civic Center about 9 months ago, you would have thought all 4 band members had magnets in the bottom of their shoes as they were stuck in place for about 2 hours. I'm dead serious when I say not one of the guys moved more than 2 feet in diameter off their spot on stage all night. What is worse is that I had front row seats off the side of the stage, but because Maynard decided he wanted to stay in the recesses of the stage all night, he was completely blocked off from my viewpoint by the stage riser.
Maynard for some reason has really toned down his body movement for this past record. Download some of their concert boots from previous years and you will see Maynard used to move around on stage like I've never seen anyone else do. Either he is making the audience concentrate on their freaked out screens or he is just getting up there in age and cant move around like a demon anymore. For me seeing Tool live is just an experience I always never forget. There is nothing better than sitting their taking in their perfect live performances with all the freaked out images around you. Im seeing them live 2 times next month....I absolutely cannot wait!!!

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Speaking of Maynard freaking out. I remember seeing them at The Riviera on the Undertow tour, and during "Bottom", the lyric "I'm fearless and naked, and my.....Fear is Naked", he pulled down his drawers, tucked his yoo-hoo between his legs and stood their with his arms out like he was crucified. Needless to say I was doing this:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

-Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks