The Tool Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Satriani, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Ryan Satriani

Let's all stop and think about, the greatest prog band right now TooL......It doesn't get any better than Maynards singing, Dannys Drumming, Adams and Justins awesome, creative, guitar, and bass playing.[​IMG]

2. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Greatest Prog band right now? How about best band PERIOD right now!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ryan Satriani

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I can sit here an talk all day about how great Tool is. Tool is a band that has not gotten the airplay, yet they are able to sell out large venuesand sell an assload of albums. Tool is one of those bands that I listen to and think that great music is still alive during these mediocre times.

I can listen to songs like Pushit, Intolerance, Opiate, Stinkfist, Bottom, Crawl Away, Parabola, Aenima, Lateralus, Flood, The Grudge, Third Eye, Hooker With a Penis all day long. Take Third Eye for example. There is enough musical information in it to make a few different songs, yet Tool is able to masterfully mold them together into a 11+ minute masterpiece.

Tool has my favorite singer (Maynard) and my favorite drummer (Danny). I can't wait to see them again this summer (my 5th time).

-Dean-

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Mike and others....

I love Tool's music as much as the next guy. They are easily the best hard rock/prog/metal band on the planet right now and have been a breath of fresh air ever since they came on the scene about 10 years ago. They are one incredible band.

However...I think they lack something live. They sound incredible in a live setting, however they don't give you a "show"...they just play. While some people think this is all well and good, others feel slightly cheated. If I wanted to hear perfect reproductions of the songs on the albums, I'd listen to the albums.

For instance, when I saw them at the Hartford Civic Center about 9 months ago, you would have thought all 4 band members had magnets in the bottom of their shoes as they were stuck in place for about 2 hours. I'm dead serious when I say not one of the guys moved more than 2 feet in diameter off their spot on stage all night. What is worse is that I had front row seats off the side of the stage, but because Maynard decided he wanted to stay in the recesses of the stage all night, he was completely blocked off from my viewpoint by the stage riser.

Great band, great sounding live band, but if you are looking for a "show"...catch KISS the next time they are in town if they haven't hung it up yet.

The only cool part of the Tool show visually were the naked man and woman in full body paint hanging from the ceiling and freaking out at every guitar crunchy riff. That was cool. Other than that, not much eye candy there. Very little emotion shown by the band either. They looked like robots.

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Yes, a great band that took me awhile to get into, now I am hooked.

I am eagerly awaiting tickets to go on sale for the Continental Airlines Arena show for August 15th.

8. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Tool is in town with Ozzfest tomorrow. But, tomorrow is my wife's birthday.

Tool is a great band and I like them a lot. But I love my wife.

9. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

10. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I forgot to add that the reason Maynard is back in the corner for this tour is becase he has a screen behind him playing the footage that is on the big screen. It wouldn't be good for the band to have that screen blocking them. Seeing Maynard in front of those images was disturbing sometimes. [​IMG]
    -Dean-

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Evan, that suits me just fine. I generally am not looking for a "show," I want to hear musical performances. Bands like Kiss and Alice Cooper are silly fun, but not my thing. To me, there is something truly magical about hearing excellent musicians perform interesting music that is heads above any makeup or theatrics.

Besides, I have heard that Maynard is an interesting performer.

But, if they just stand there and play, I will be more than happy.

12. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Mike,

It sounds like you are really going to enjoy the show, but then again, I don't know how one wouldn't enjoy a Tool show.

-Dean-

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and Dean is right...they are technically perfect. Note for note it sounds like you are listening to the album. It's truly amazing. But eye candy it is not. I get off more on the interaction with the fans in the crowd as they get really into it more than actually watching the band.

14. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

15. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Speaking of Maynard freaking out. I remember seeing them at The Riviera on the Undertow tour, and during "Bottom", the lyric "I'm fearless and naked, and my.....Fear is Naked", he pulled down his drawers, tucked his yoo-hoo between his legs and stood their with his arms out like he was crucified. Needless to say I was doing this:
    [​IMG]
    -Dean

16. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit