What's new

the "Too Attractive for Jail Defence" (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051122/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

Now, notwithstanding the merits or lack thereof regarding this case, I found the defense attorney's argument unique and peculiar. You have to read nearly to the bottom to find it;

Apparently attractive people don't have to serve jail time for the same crimes as the 'aesthetically challenged'.

What are your thoughts, should jail time be waived for attractive people?

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I agree. She is too attractive for jail. Unless of course it's my jail. :D

This case fascinates me. How come when I was a 14 year old kid, there were no teachers who looked like this, let alone teachers who looked like this who were willing to perform "two counts of lewd and lascivious battery" upon me?

This is a Van Halen video come to life, and I for one am jealous of the 14 year old kid!

:angry:

MC

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
she looks alright in the picture, but i bet she wouldnt look good in an orange jumpsuit and no makeup.

CJ

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The problem with this case is the P.C. fiction that there are no differences between male and female sexuality and therefore what she did is no different than a male teacher of a similar age seducing a female student. Granted this is a crime and does merit punishment. The mere fact that she was in a position of trust and authority makes what she did ethically unacceptable (it would be equally unacceptable were she a college professor and the young man a student) and also a criminal offense because he was under the age of consent. But were it not for the arrest and the noteriety engendered by the public airing of the charges themselves, I seriously doubt the "victim" here would suffer any long term or even short term emotional or psychological harm. Which would not be the case with an adolecesnt girl, for whom the effects would be far more harmful. (And the crime consequently more heinous whether the offending teacher was male or female.) This kind of unacceptable sexual contact between extremely young authority figures just out of college (and clearly not very mature themselves) and teenagers in the process of sexually maturing themselves is properly condemned, but it really should be distinguished between genuine pedophillia, which is a sexual attraction to pre-pubescent children and where the perpetrator often has no particular preference for one sex or the other, since it is precisely the androgynous quality of children that appeals to them.

In this case I think the plea deal was approprate, especially since the victim's family agreed to it.

Regards,

Joe

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
She looks SMOKING HOT in those pictures!! Cmon let's be honest here.

The fact that she is getting off becasue of that is about one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. There is no way that a man would get off jail time because he was "too good looking". WTH?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
We never had teachers who looked that hot, let alone would provide this kind of extracurricular activities for their students.

As for being too attractive for jail, I can see the intent of the defense, but I couldn't support it in all cases or for all crimes. The fact is that it would be near impossible for a woman who looks like her to rape a 14 year-old boy in anything other than the legal sense.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The thread title makes it sound like Lafave avoided prison because she's attractive which is not the case.
Her trial was scheduled to begin Dec. 5 in Hillsborough County.

Lafave's attorney, John Fitzgibbons, had suggested his client's defense would prove she was not guilty by reason of insanity.

Previously, Fitzgibbons told news reporters Debra Lafave was, essentially, too pretty for prison.

The judge let her off light because the relationship was 100% consensual, the teacher took full responsibility for her actions, and the girl's family didn't want to go to trial.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
You mean the boy's family, correct? Or, the teacher's family didn't want a trial? Who can make heads or tails of this stuff when she's so hot? Not me. I'm blinded by the mere idea of ever having a teacher who looks like this... I wonder what the boy looks like? Football hero, black-eyeliner punk or egghead geek? (I just want to know if I'd have ever had a chance with her :wink: )

MC

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I heard that the victim's family agreed to it so that their son wouldn't have to go to court, but I don't think that is the point here. I feel it is like this judge has said that there wasn't a crime here at all.

If there wasn't any crime, then why did she even get arrested? Oh wait, there was a crime. Is it up to the judge to decide that this crime wasn't severe enough to send her to jail? How many more teachers (especially the ones living in that district) are going to 'select' students for additional instructions now?

via Star Wars - I hear the cries of a thousand men crying out, Me! Me! :)

I had a teacher hotter than her in school. It was the only class that I ever flunked.

There was another case mentioned today about 3 boys that got a teacher drunk, and then , well, you know. This teacher is also getting off easy.

I can see this one coming up in a year or too. A teacher seduces a female student, and then gets loaded and says that he didn't know what he was doing at the time, because he was drunk, therefor he wasn't responsible.

Glenn

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Quote from the mother: "My prayer is that he can leave this behind him and go on and be a happy, healthy young man."

She makes it sound like he was traumatized. Hell, he hit the jackpot and is the envy of all his friends.

-paul

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Joe hits the nail on the head, as evidenced by all the comments from the guys here -- I'll echo that, why didn't I have some hot teacher seduce me when I was 14? :D

Unfortunately, this sort of thing isn't going to go away, not when you have randy 14-16 year-old boys and 22/23 year-old fresh-out-of-college teachers. Reminds me of when I was 16, some of the newer teachers ("fortunately" assigned to teach the younger kids) were quite attractive.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
The point everyone here is overlooking is that had she been a hag (or a man) then she'd be in jail - consentual or not. The question is not weather or not she's too attractive to be found guilty of THIS crime - it is that she is too attractive to GO TO JAIL. Do you think that would hold water had she robbed a bank? Killed a cop? Had a DUI? Why should it have any bearing?

As far as teenage girls being more negatively affected by an event like this than boys; I have to say the claim is dubious at best. http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/trave.../dpquince.html

There was a time not long ago when fifteen year old girls MARRYING older men was considered mundane. Teenage boys marrying older women was considerably less common...

Was it a crime? I think that is best left to the parents and the judge. Should her appearance have any bearing on the case or the punishment? THAT is open for specuation and discussion.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

The justice system is secure enough in its sexuality not too lose any sleep over this case of a double-standard.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
True but the reasons for this had absolutely nothing to do with sex, and therefore irrelevant as well.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread