the Tony Awards 2009 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So I just tuned into the Tony awards show to see Neil Patrick harris and
I'm sorry I missed the beginning monologue.
Anyway as I turn it on I see Shrek, the musical, and my first thought was
wth is that?
It must be successful or I guess it wouldn't be on the show but wow what
an odd thing to see.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just wait till next year, when it's Spider-man, the Musical! (I'm not making that up.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I thought it was interesting how both Shrek and Farquad were played by Nathan Lane!?!?! Hello. Shrek had a scottish accent, people. Not an effeminate New York accent.

But the highlight was seeing Bret Michaels bite it after his lip sync.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm not sure if that was meant as a joke, but Nathan Lane isn't in Shrek. He's starring in the current production of Waiting for Godot (in which he's great, BTW).

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Aquarius-Let the Sun Shine In was marvelous. The lead singer was very good, and the one of the other young women in the group was amazing -- it seemed as if she were almost bursting with the intensity of her happiness. I previously noticed her when the cast performed on The Late Show with David Letterman. She's the one with red or reddish-brown hair, wearing a short light blue dress with horizontal stripes over jeans. I did some searching and learned that she is Allison Case, who was previously in Mamma Mia on Broadway. Others in the theater industry have noted her infectiousness.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sigh. . .I had no idea this was on until I saw it on the news the next day. :frowning:

What the heck was Bret Michaels doing performing at the Tonys? Is he in a show or something?

I saw Sebastian Bach in Jekyll & Hyde several years back. Afterwards, I heard someone say "that was like Hyde & Hyde!"
Then Bas came out to sign autographs for us '80s metalheads. He was very nice.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
No, but the show Rock of Ages celebrates the bands, the era and the music; so the show's producers thought it would be cool to have Poison perform on the awards show.

I merely report. I do not endorse.

BTW, shows that did not see a post-Tony surge in ticket sales are already posting their closing notices. Guys and Dolls is closing this weekend, as is Neil Labute's Reasons to Be Pretty. A shame about the latter, because it's a great play, but it got crowded out.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That's probably because Nathan Lane draws heavily on a musical-hall style of performing that, since The Producers, is now closely identified with him (although it's not all he can do). People performed in that style long before Nathan Lane, and they'll probably still be performing that way after he retires. (For my taste, that style is all wrong for Shrek, but we're dealing with a corporate-produced confection here.)

The actor playing Shrek under all that rubber, Brian D'Arcy James, is a versatile guy with leading man looks. He played the Tony Curtis part in the musical version of Sweet Smell of Success a few years ago (not great, but not a disaster), which required a completely different approach. He was genuinely moving.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The gods of Broadway seemed to really come down on Bret Michael's head for the blasphemy of lip-syncing.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm sure they do. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the target audience.

It was bad luck for Dreamworks that so expensive a show had to open smack in the middle of an economic crisis. Taking the family is a pricey proposition. They're currently offering a deal where, with every full-price ticket to Shrek, you can buy up to three additional tickets at half-price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks