What's new

"The Tonight Show" w/ Johnny Carson Coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

jjames

Auditioning
I just ordered the Ultimate Carson Collection 3 DVD set for $45.60 from www.deepdiscountdvd.com
Free shipping too!!
That's almost half off what Carson's web site wants.
Now, is the monthly club worth it? It's $24 a month plus shipping. You get to shows per month. But the shipping will probably make the total close to $35.
Jeff

jjames

Auditioning
No, I ordered from Deepdiscountdvd. The shipping is free on that site.

I didn't order from the club or the Carson web site.

The shipping I'm talking about is the shipping for the monthly club they offer (which I didn't join). I'm assuming they will charge what Columbia does. Which is too much.

Jeff

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
The Carson $45 deal at DeepDiscountDVD was posted over at the "Coupon,Discount,..." section not that long ago (may be a month??), I was tempted but haven't got it yet, but I've done (and still doing) a lot of business with DeepDiscount and certainly have no complaints. With their free shipping, they really have some killer deals, I think at one time they have the complete Emma Peel Advengers set for something like $80, less than half of list and if I did not already have some of them, I would have jumped on it.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the set from DDD but have not received it. According to an e-mail from DDD, demand was very high and they ran out of stock but they should have it back within 20 days (meaning a couple weeks from now).

DDD sold, and is still selling, The Complete Emma Peel for $95 and change, shipped. An incredible deal.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
For those you have purchased the DVD from DDD (or planning on to), I received my DVDs Xmas Eve.

For pure die-hard fans this is a treat. The third disc has the second last show with Robin Williams and Bette Midler, and the final show is also included.

The set is a 3-disc foldout.

Now for things I don't appreciate. According to the TV ad for the VHS set, if you order you also get a 4 tape - the Animal shows. You do not get this with the 3 disc DVD set.

There are animal shows - but they are not separated as is the VHS tape. So I cannot say if they are all there compared to the VHS tapes.

Also, the quality is sub-par in some areas (which should be expected since the shows go back to the 60's), but there seems to be problems in overscanning(?). When guest/dates names appear at the bottom of the screen, most of the left part of the text is off the screen.

There are no subtitles OR closed captioning, which is a pity since the earlier shows the audio is very poor and the dialogue is very difficult to understand. Since the later shows (80's/90's) would have some closed-captioned, it does not make sense that the close captioned stream is not provided (at least for some).

The content IS edited (at least for the last two shows). I remember watching the show with Robin Williams and Bette Midler, and some dialogue was censored for the showing (bleeps, ...). Others was not.

This set has some dialogue looped with previous spoken dialogue that was not bleeped or looped in the original showings.

In my opinion, unless you are a die-hard fan, $79.95 is a lot for this set in this condition (although I only paid $46.50 from DDD).

This is really a tough call to make on whether or not you feel the price justifies the DVD (since I also owned the LD, I basically the content).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If this deal is still available after I pay down the Christmas bills, I will probably take DDD up on it. Everyone sings DDD's praises, so I guess I can give them a shot (I'm basically paranoid when it comes to ordering via online sources...I've had better luck with most eBay-ers!!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks