What's new

The Tonight Show w/Conan O'Brien (2 Viewers)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
"The Tonight Show with Co Co Christopher!" That would have made for a great April Fool's joke two months ago!

Also, on the subject of old farts, remember that they'll most likely follow Leno to the 10 PM time slot. Conan's younger generation has already followed him to the new show. Everyone is aging at the same speed, and each generation can't stay up as late as they could some ten years ago. So the late night time shift will most likely be suitable for everyone.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Is there some reason I keep reading this? I know of no evidence that indicates that the older you get, the earlier you go to sleep, or even that someone in their 40/50/60's needs more sleep than someone in their 20/30's.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
We don't need more sleep, we just get up at o-dark thirty in the morning.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, in another 17 years, Jay Leno gets the 9 p.m. slot, Conan gets the 10 p.m. slot, and Jimmy Fallon gets the 11:30 spot, and then Carson gets the 12:30 a.m. spot.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
He showed it last night! They even animated it and added the music!

The part with all the kids conceived during Late Night was hilarious! Red hair as far as the eye can see!

Now that he's survived the first week and has demonstrated that he's still at the top of his game, it's time to create some new skits and get the band more involved in the daily banter. Pender hasn't screamed his head to a beet-red color yet.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
one thing that bugs me so far is the high pitched screeching horn during
the opening while Conan is coming out from the curtain.

Alex-C

Screenwriter

Who gives a rip about the old fogies...and Conan doesn't need to stoop/pander/change to satisfy them ! although, the reality is...he has to make some concessions to an earlier/different crowd, its all a matter of how much.

I agree with you Scott, I am loving the new show, and I always loved the old show...which begs the question...when are we going to see Triumph !?!?!

The set/band kicks ass over that lame yuk-yuk Kevin and his group. I liked Jay, been to the show a few times, laughed my butt off (once with Jim Carrey), but I always like Conan's irreverence...you just can't go wrong with someone who wrote for the Simpsons !

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
^ the only thing that doesn't matter is this reporter's opinion....

The Late Shows are just a vehicle to unwind at the end of the day and forget about your daily troubles before crashing for the night.. different hosts appeal to different tastes, that's all, no need to over analize to death all the details, especially with whom and where the host had dinner last night..who cares.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Mr. Simon's classism is kind of pathetic. I have my own biases about the wealthy, but that's taking it to a whole other level.

He must have popped a vein when Conan spoofed Leno's final gesture.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Different strokes. I think Conan is probably the funniest person on television today. Why you're surprised so many people like him is beyond me, but whatever floats your boat.

Oh, and that reporter sounds like a total d-bag.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All I can say is that -- well I can't think of anything to say about that load of garbage. How many times did he mention Harvard in that article with the insinuation that it was something to be avoided -- wouldn't any parent in the US be thrilled if their child was able to attend such a University? Just wow.

It's not like Conan is pulling a Wm F Buckley and intimidating his guests or even his audience. As far as I'm aware I've never heard him mention that fact in well over a decade. As far as having dinner at Hanks' house so what, it's not like Hanks is known for throwing Cocaine and Hooker parties. e Carson was well known for hitting the Hollywood Party Circuit with some less than pleasant results during his days and it was well reported in the Gossip Rags and Tabloids back in those days.

I'm not a big Leno fan though I respect him for his Off Hours work tremendously, but I;ve not watched the Tonight Show more than occasionally since he began hosting since I never liked his style humor or his interview skills at all. Carson mentored Letterman who essentially mentored Conan. I'm far from Conan's standard audience, but I find him far more entertaining than Leno and I enjoy he guest interaction so NBC at least has a chance to regain at least one viewer.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
while i agree that that particular reporter's slant against harvard-esque circles is ridiculous i find the heart of his argument to hold some merit.

if leno was past his expiration date why did nbc do all it could to keep him on nbc.

the tonight show is toast regardless who the host is starting in the fall when leno premieres. and the fact that o'brien appeals to a limited demo will make it only worse for him.

the best thing about o'brien's version of the tonight show is the opening title sequence. i really like it. but is also shows o'brien's biggest weakness. he doesn't have as broad a base as leno does. if you watch both opening sequences back to back you will understand what i mean. jay is about the people and it shows in his opener. while o'brien's opener is nice, slick and art deco (and i love art deco) it is at the same time alienating. what does it mean? what does it demonstrate/show? i dunno. it is pretty and slick. but empty.

when i found out that o'brien was taking over and jay would stay on nbc i felt bad for him. if nbc wanted to move on it should have done just that. they castrated o'brien before he could even get started.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm just not sure that Conan's demographic is more limited than Leno's -- different, but certainly not necessarily more limited. If people are tuning in to a talk show after their local news then Leno's pre-show should have minimal affect at all. A lot of folks who watch 11:30 TV are still going to watch 11:30 TV and aren't staying up to specifically watch Leno.

A few people will defect to Letterman, much less to Kimmel, many of the Tonight Show regulars are going to stay just out of habit. I'm guessing a number of Letterman/Kimmel folks will join Conan. The Nightline people will likely stay with Nightline. Maybe a few folks will even turn on the set earlier to catch Conan who used to play Video Games or surf the Computer until the 12:30 show.

Leno was supposed to be the death of the Tonight Show after they dissed Letterman. His ratings dropped substantially for awhile, but recovered and have held steady for several years relatively to his competition. I suspect Conan will do the same thing, but if he brings lower overall ratings but with a much younger demographic in the Advertisers Happy Zone, then NBC will be happy. How many added 20-40yo;s vs. lost 50+yo will make NBC and it's advertisers happy?

Diallo B

Screenwriter

and, imo this is where time will tell. the problem once again is what will happen this fall.

i don't understand why so many people think that leno's demo is old people. most of the old people i know watch letterman......

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The deal made back in 2004 was about Conan than Leno. NBC didn't really want to lose either of them. They didn't think about Leno not wanting to give up his job. They didn't want Conan to get impatient about getting the Tonight Show spot and jumping to another network so he could be on at 11:30, so they struck a deal with both parties so Conan was guaranteed the Tonight Show spot. But, they didn't think Leno's part through until they realized last year or this year that he didn't want to really give up his job, and they didn't want him to be competing with Conan on another network.

Make sense? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks