What's new

The Today Show on NBC (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how celebrity oriented the show seems to be. They seem to spend more time coddling up to celebrities these days than they do presenting the news. The entire show this morning for example is all about the Emmy Awards. It seems that unless there is something catastrophic going on in the nation, Matt Lauer and Katie Couric are trying to squeeze as many celebrities into the time frame as they possibly can. If there is an Entertaiment Tonight, the Today Show must be Entertainment This Morning.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I was never under the impression that Today was anything but an infotainment program... Although generally their first hour (7-8am here) seems to be more news oriented than the other two hours...
All of the morning programs are similar, to me...
Katie...mmmmmm.....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I would have to agree that the Today show format has been the same for decades. It has never been strictly a hard news program.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
In the mornings I'm usually working out and keep an eye on all the morning shows that are on the big screens and I noticed the same thing you did Kevin.

I always assumed that the first hour of a morning news program was designated for hard news stories, but this morning right from the get go, they had Katie do a interview the cast of "Friends".

Was that really important for the first hour of the news program?

It could of waited till the last hour for fluff time.

Paul

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
I think you'd enjoy NPR's "All Things Considered" or a BBC news program (if one airs in the morning) much more than any of that crap on TV in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks