The Today Show on NBC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how celebrity oriented the show seems to be. They seem to spend more time coddling up to celebrities these days than they do presenting the news. The entire show this morning for example is all about the Emmy Awards. It seems that unless there is something catastrophic going on in the nation, Matt Lauer and Katie Couric are trying to squeeze as many celebrities into the time frame as they possibly can. If there is an Entertaiment Tonight, the Today Show must be Entertainment This Morning.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I was never under the impression that Today was anything but an infotainment program... Although generally their first hour (7-8am here) seems to be more news oriented than the other two hours...
    All of the morning programs are similar, to me...
    Katie...mmmmmm..... [​IMG]

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I would have to agree that the Today show format has been the same for decades. It has never been strictly a hard news program.

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

In the mornings I'm usually working out and keep an eye on all the morning shows that are on the big screens and I noticed the same thing you did Kevin.

I always assumed that the first hour of a morning news program was designated for hard news stories, but this morning right from the get go, they had Katie do a interview the cast of "Friends".

Was that really important for the first hour of the news program?

It could of waited till the last hour for fluff time.

Paul

5. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

I think you'd enjoy NPR's "All Things Considered" or a BBC news program (if one airs in the morning) much more than any of that crap on TV in the morning.