What's new

The TNG boxsets: How do you feel about the transfers? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I agree the show looks better than it ever has.

Another issue might be all the disc space taken up by the fancy-dan menus.

One other thing I would like to have seen included in these sets: the next-episode trailers (which are included on the TOS discs).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jack, they're on the bonus disc with the first season (Best Buy)
Yes, but as that is a CD-ROM the non-PC-blessed households cannot use it (nor the same trailers available at STARTREK.COM). Plus, it's a pain in the ass to go somewhere else to view them; it's a non-feature if you have to go to your PC to see them. They ought to have been on the same DVDs as the shows. :frowning:
This ticks me off more than anyone imagines. Not that I count or anything.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The Last two Sets have definately been softer than 1-4. Season 5 for me is completely unwatchable on my WS Mits. It looks acceptable on my 32" Direct View. Look at the Deep Blacks in Seasons 1-3 and look at them now. Maybe Season 5 and All were filmed with Vasaling smearing the lenses.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much the inclusion of four episodes per disc might have to do with the sometimes less-than-stellar picture quality?

Many complained about there only being two episodes per TOS disc, but no one complained about their picture quality.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Part of it may have to do with wear and tear on the Masters. They showed seasons 4-6 a heck of a lot more in syndication than they did the other seasons, which means that there was a lot more tape wear on the masters.

TOS was remastered from the original 35mm film, these were mastered from 10-15 year old analog tape masters from 16mm source. There's your difference right there.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
David,

You're not the only one that was disappointed that the trailers were not included as past of the regular packaging. I already had them on CDRom and lets face it... the quality is rather weak.

Plus I have not seen the very first preview trailer anywhere... the one that ran seconds before the premiere that started... "Tonight, the 24th century begins..."

I still have that on a very old VHS tape and although the quality is pretty bad... I gotta keep it for sentimental reasons!

Ric

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I have a problem with the chapter stops...

When I watch, I have to do it quickly. There just isn't enough time to cram it all in, considering the quantity of TV on DVD releases these days... So I skip the song. There isn't much to look at with TNG anyway. But sometimes when I skip, I don't end up at the "episode name" segment at all, it just goes a few minutes ahead. It's a pain having to fast-backwards up to the point where Gene's name graces the screen.

Why o why do they do this?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how much the inclusion of four episodes per disc might have to do with the sometimes less-than-stellar picture quality?

Many complained about there only being two episodes per TOS disc, but no one complained about their picture quality.
Jack,

A single-layered TOS disc is 4.3GB. A dual-layered TNG disc is 7.75GB. Yeah, the TNG disc got the short end of the stick, but the episodes are only 44 minutes (compared to what, 50 or 52 minutes for TOS)?

Based on other series, 4 x 44min is not terribly bad for a dual-layered disc. However, cable shows like 'The Sopranos' at 1-hour per episode sure seem a lot better off limiting the episodes to three.

TNG probably is a little overcompressed. It is becoming the norm for TV. While 'Sports Night' DVDs look better than a bad cable or satellite broadcast, they make the show notably worse than the original OTA or good cable broadcasts. But since so few people ever see a quality television broadcast, I think the studios are largely shooting for 'better than VHS' for their DVD releases.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's just because they rushed them through QC, or the people on the other end didn't care enough to ask them if that's where they REALLY wanted the chapter stops (chapters are done in authoring by looking at a list of timecodes given to the authors by the client)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks