The Tin Star - Another good western

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent Avery, May 11, 2004.

1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Feb 19, 2002
    Well, checked out this 1957 film from Paramount and glad to say I thought it had a good storyline that made considerable use of Henry Fonda's great acting skills. Fonda came across in what I consider his best characterization - that of a wisened and thoughtful individual. In this case as a bounty hunter who ends up helping Anthony Perkins as a young sheriff who is unsure but at the same time too eager. They play well together and the phtography was quite good. Filmed in B&W and VistaVision. Sound track is in Dolby 5.1 or restored Mono - which I used as I cannot use my HT system at the moment. Dialog was very good and the film itself seems to be in excellent condtion. Worth a purchase and the price is very good - no liner notes though.
  2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Aug 23, 2003
    Let's see. With this one coming to DVD that leaves the following Westerns that hopefully will see the light of day that star Henry Fonda.

Fort Apache
    Jesse James
    Return of Frank James
    Big Hand for the Little Lady
    Cheyenne Social Club

Quite a ways to go I would say. But The Tin Star is certainly one I was looking forward to. I'm actually a little surprised that it was even considered. That gives me hope for the others.
  3. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

Apr 14, 2003
    A superb Anthony Mann western with some delightful mono cinematography. I think Paramount have done a great job with the transfer and the disappointment at the lack of extras is offset by the bargain price - go get it!

So many films, so little time...