The Time on HTF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, May 15, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Hi --

I was wondering why the Time is never correct on HTF. for instance, now it says

"It is now 05:01 PM your time."

but in reailty it is 12:03 PM EST.

This makes it difficult to tell when threads have been created or updated. Thanks.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Patrick:

You need to go to the User Control Panel > Edit Options and set the timezone to your area. This is something that you should have set up when you first registered. The time that you see displayed will be your local time after that.

Parker

3. Patrick Larkin

Thanks.

Wierd that it defaults to GMT.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Weird???? Would it be better if it defaulted to EST? [​IMG] GMT is the standard for any setting, including Microsoft Windows, which is why you set the default to EST (GMT - 5 hours) in your timezone settings..
    Jay

5. Patrick Larkin

Wierd in that the majority of users are probably in EST or PST. eBay uses Pacific time as the standard.

I don't recall Windows using GMT. I could be wrong. My Mac was set to Pacific Time, I believe.

Anyhow, all is well now.

6. Angsty

Angsty Stunt Coordinator

I've checked the time zone for my region, and can confirm I have selected the correct zone (GMT + 10 hours). However, the time shown for this zone is still incorrect by 1 hour - showing 1 hour ahead.

It seems the time zone is still showing 'summer-time', although daylight saving ended on 30 March for me.

Angela

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I agree, the default should be EST or give us the ability to set the time even if we are not registered members. I for one, cannot use my computer at work due to company policy to change the time. It would be nice to have the ability to change the time as a lurker.

8. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Patrick, sorry, I think my choice of words is misleading, my saying that GMT is the "default" is not really correct. What I meant to say is that GMT is the reference point to which you set your preferences too. Which means everybody not at GMT would have to set their default time to their delta time with respect to GMT. I was under the impression that you were thinking that we should make EST as the reference point, and not GMT which would indeed be weird, but now I see what you're saying. [​IMG]
    In WinNT, one sets their timezone by Control->Panel->Date/Time and selecting the Timezone tag (and there's a checkbox to have the PC adjust for EDT versus EST) so mine is set to
    "(GMT - 5) Eastern Time (US & Candada)"
    Jay

10. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Patrick:

As this the standard that vBulletin uses I would take this up with the authors of the software. They are located in Great Britian and that is why they chose the time frame they did.

Reginald:

Sorry. It's not written into the code that way.

Angela:

Yeah, I noticed that this doesn't keep up with DST in other parts of the world very well. The only thing that I can suggest is to reset it to one hour less or +9 instead.

Parker