What's new

The Time Machine (1960) coming to blu-ray next year (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I have so many films, but never bought this one on DVD... I'd certainly like to get the blu-ray. Haven't seen it in years.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
It would be great if TIME MACHINE, WAR OF THE WORLDS and WORLD COLLIDE were all released.....super sci-fi.....and I do wish the Universal would do a lot of work on THIS ISLAND EARTH and release it on Blu....what a double bill (x2) that would make.

Reactions: cb1

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
?
Ejanss said:
No, correct that, only a "couple" people are interested in the remake (the one with the Jeremy Irons Morlock and the Navajo Eloi)--
The rest of us want the CLASSIC.
I want the classic too - more than the remake. And gladly we'll get it next year. :)
But the remake would be nice, too. Nothing wrong about that.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
As bad as the remake is overall, I actually liked some of it. The machine itself was really awesome, the CG effects were damn nice, I liked the Eloi, and the traveler's conclusion to his dilemma was touching, even if I put things together WAY before him and he's suppose to be a smart scientist. Though to be far, I'm sure I've seen FAR more time travel movies than he has. ;) I think I'd pick it up if it came out on blu at a cheap enough price.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the Pal film, my early youth also has memories of something called Classics Illustrated comics and I had a copy of The Time Machine. I always liked that and recently discovered seeing the great cover art on the web. I'm on a quest now to find a good copy as my copy from my youth is surely lost. I love the Pal version of the Time Machine itself, but I also loved the 1956 version in that comic. It will be great to have that. And one can't help but wonder if the artwork there influenced the film.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
If you can, try to find the British edition of that (or any other) Classics Illustrated comic Nelson. As I recall from my own comic collecting days, those U.K. C.I. comics were printed on better quality paper with richer inks...the U.S. runs literally paled by comparison.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
When teaching my Political Science courses at the University, i often equate the electorate to the Eloi. None of my students seem to know the reference and i remind them to read Well's 1895 novel, The Time Machine, and to
take time out to watch the 1960 film on which it is based!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Tommy R said:
As bad as the remake is overall, I actually liked some of it. The machine itself was really awesome, the CG effects were damn nice, I liked the Eloi, and the traveler's conclusion to his dilemma was touching,
I felt like the remake was so studio-appointed 00's-PC, that now we can't even show Eloi in a socially unflattering depiction anymore. :lol:

(Apparently, real 85th-century activists might complain about Wells' "outdated Victorian attitudes" and "negative stereotypes" about being lazy, helpless and childlike extensions of the upper-class...Look, Simon, they'rre NOT the friggin Na'vi!)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
All that's needed now, is a release of The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (1962), odd this classic isn't even out yet on DVD...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
ROclockCK said:
If you can, try to find the British edition of that (or any other) Classics Illustrated comic Nelson. As I recall from my own comic collecting days, those U.K. C.I. comics were printed on better quality paper with richer inks...the U.S. runs literally paled by comparison.
Thanks for that insight! I never collected comics and I didn't know that about the UK versions! I'm searching around. I was amazed to see that the CI are available as digital versions too! That might be a good way to go. But I need a real printed copy of The Time Machine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I always thought I should read the Wells novel too as the social political side and human evolutionary aspects are not depicted in the 1960 film. I only saw the remake once and while it was a shock, I get the impression it's closer to the novel then Pal's version. But the Pal version is a favorite!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Nelson Au said:
I always thought I should read the Wells novel too as the social political side and human evolutionary aspects are not depicted in the 1960 film. I only saw the remake once and while it was a shock, I get the impression it's closer to the novel then Pal's version. But the Pal version is a favorite!
Pal's version is...while clos-er than the remake, it's already pretty close.
George Pal keeps the idle-vs-working evolution, but throws in an anti-war subplot about WWIII being one of the great triggers of division (the Eloi are still summoned to the underground tunnels by sirens that sound oddly like air-raids), which probably didn't occur to HG when he was writing the book, but feels like it's straight out of it.
Especially when you watch it right next to HG's own Blitz-era script for "Things to Come", where he thought WWII would wipe out civilization.

(One of the things that bugs me about people who gush over Orson Welles' radio "War of the Worlds" is when they don't even notice Wells' own theme about the smug Victorian empire facing their own superior threat, and Welles using that to poke at US prewar isolationism--I never did buy his "Halloween prank" alibi.
Every time you hear people talk about it, they gush "Everybody got scared because it was so cool and REAL!"...Err, uh-uh.
The Time Machine remake pretty much completely ignores the whole social-division theme of the book, thinks Wells' theme was "Man and his technology!", and thinks it's neato that there are monsters and gadgets in the future, but maybe we'll all go back to nature someday....Err, uh-uh. :rolleyes: )

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
In addition to the Pal film, my early youth also has memories of something called Classics Illustrated comics and I had a copy of The Time Machine. I always liked that and recently discovered seeing the great cover art on the web. I'm on a quest now to find a good copy as my copy from my youth is surely lost. I love the Pal version of the Time Machine itself, but I also loved the 1956 version in that comic. It will be great to have that. And one can't help but wonder if the artwork there influenced the film.
Classics Illustrated comics are available on eBay, some of them at great prices. I once owned about a hundred of them. The Time Machine is excellent, and I'd also recommend War Of the Worlds.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Ejanss said:
Pal's version is...while clos-er than the remake, it's already pretty close.
George Pal keeps the idle-vs-working evolution, but throws in an anti-war subplot about WWIII being one of the great triggers of division (the Eloi are still summoned to the underground tunnels by sirens that sound oddly like air-raids), which probably didn't occur to HG when he was writing the book, but feels like it's straight out of it.
Especially when you watch it right next to HG's own Blitz-era script for "Things to Come", where he thought WWII would wipe out civilization.

(One of the things that bugs me about people who gush over Orson Welles' radio "War of the Worlds" is when they don't even notice Wells' own theme about the smug Victorian empire facing their own superior threat, and Welles using that to poke at US prewar isolationism--I never did buy his "Halloween prank" alibi.
Every time you hear people talk about it, they gush "Everybody got scared because it was so cool and REAL!"...Err, uh-uh.
The Time Machine remake pretty much completely ignores the whole social-division theme of the book, thinks Wells' theme was "Man and his technology!", and thinks it's neato that there are monsters and gadgets in the future, but maybe we'll all go back to nature someday....Err, uh-uh. :rolleyes: )
In the 70's, my fifth grade class got to hear from someone who was around for the original broadcast talk about what the reaction was like. We heard the recording of WOTW as well. (This was in New Jersey, not very far from Grover's Mill.) People were scared out of their minds regardless of what Orson's intentions were. By the time a commerical break came on, people were running for the hills from Martians.

The shadow cast by WOTW was so long, the 1983 tv movie Special Bulletin, which looked like real network news coverage of nuclear terrorism, aired with eight tons of disclaimers to avoid a panic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks