The Time Has Come..The P&S War has Begun

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    And it's test the resolve of the Home Theater Community. We all knew that this day might arrive. That the Six Packers might cause us untold HT Grief. Well Boys and Girls, the day is here. With Warner deciding to P&S "Family" films they'll force copies into Family friendly stores like Costco, Sam's , Walmart, etc. Of course it'll look like sales numbers bear out their "Research". Are we enough of a dent in Sales to curb this? I fear the answer. But as a WIdescreen TV owner and a follower of OAR, I say hold fast. DO NOT BUY P&S. Spread the word to whoever will listen. Write Video Periodicals. Make a scene in your local video Store. Do what it takes.
    This Faction defeated DIVX. We can make a difference.
    "And So it begins...."

2. Tom Landers

Tom Landers Extra

"I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war!"
    We must be patient and help people understand.
    When given all the information most people will see things our way. We cannot be seen as fanatics, however, this will only slow down our cause.
    Make it your goal to inform one person per day the evils of pan & Scam then soon everyone will see things our way.
    Then an age of Pure movie viewing will ensue. Spreading joy and love everywhere.

3. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    The problem is not that pan and scan versions are being made, but that they are being made INSTEAD of anamophic widescreen. If Joe six-pack wants pan and scan, let him have them. When his 4.3 TV bites the dust and all he can get is 16.9 then the lightbulb will go off in his head. My concern is that BOTH versions should be made available either on the other side, or as a seperate release so that EVERYONE can enjoy the product.

4. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Well this post results in obvious answers here. The real question is, how do we get our views and facts out to the public? The petition is a start if we can get all the members to sign them and send them to all the major studios and the major retailers (ie WalMart Best Buy). I think it would be a good idea if Ron could provide a space on the main page for the petition against Pan and Scan only releases and suggest all members sign it with maybe an address. Then distribute it to the previously mentioned people.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "Why did I get mixed up with that Bi$%?" "Cause shes got a GREAT ASS! And you got your head...ALL THE WAY UP IT. Ferocious aren't I?"

5. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I say that since Warner should know better the only way to deal with it correctly is not a boycott of Wonka and Cats and Dogs...
    I say we hit them hard no lightweigth tiddly BS. I say we withold any purchases from Warner until they announce that they will do all future titles in OAR and if they deem it needed then they can do a P&S/Full Frame version for the idiots that know no better.
    But I promise that if everyone here simply stopped by ALL Warner Titles and asked everyone they know to do the same and it went on for a month then Warner would be begging our us to forgive them.
    StoP Buyin Warner DVD Product until....
    As it stands I seriously doubt that we could get the whole forum together on this one.
    They used us ealry addopters and OAR supporters to build the format and for them to just toss us aside now is pretty scuzzy.
    See two titles won't make a dent in their pockets but if we boycott all their Titles they will feel it!!
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here

6. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Darren,
    I'd go along with that! OAR all the way!!
    ------------------
    Ed Vandeweerd
    [email protected]
    my collection

7. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Max, there's just one little fly in your ointment...
    Warner owns the patent on DVD. Warner gets a few cents from every DVD sold...regardless of who makes it.

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

To paraphrase a quote from a film from a great DVD company:
    They release tv in best of sets, and we fall back. They release Willy Wonka and Cats and Dogs without OAR, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn HERE. This far NO farther. And I will make them pay for what they've done.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection
    [Edited last by John Berggren on August 20, 2001 at 11:46 AM]

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor.....
    [​IMG]
    Well I gues Warner will just had to settle for the pennies they make off other's DVDs then reaping bigger proffits from their Own.
    Unless we get everyone on board it is meaningless.
    NOW is where the line must be drawn. Otherwise we will be watching 4X3 cuts of all new movies on our widescreen sets. [​IMG]
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything
    [Edited last by MaxY on August 20, 2001 at 11:56 AM]

10. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

"Germans ?" "Forget it he's on a roll"
    I bought into this format in March of '97. Who would have thought that the day would come when we appluad Fox, Paramount, and Disney but shame Warners. Back in the early days it didnt seem that way. But time has changed and thank god for those lovely studios I mentioned.
    -- Matt

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Where was all the outcrying 3 years ago when Warner put Vacation, Spies Like Us, and Frantic out in Pan and Scan only versions??? MGM and even Paramount have Pan and Scan only releases as well but I don't hear people bitching about them all the time.
    This is nothing new to the world of DVD and home video (People seem to forget alot of Laserdiscs were P&S as well) so I really am not sure why all of a sudden there is such a hatred for Warner. Have they yet to say a major non family film such as Superman, Ben-Hur, North by Northwest, etc. would be coming out in Pan and Scan only? (I don't want to hear the argument the full frame versions on current family titles mean they could plan this down the road, because their track record clearly shows otherwise with DVD)
    On any title, the one doing the purchasing needs to make an evaluation based on what that titles holds. IF they do two versons or have both OAR and P&S available on one disc then everyone wins. On the other hand, if only one version is available one group is going to be disappointed. We here are the minority, and therefore our wishes will be catered to less than before. I don't think this means Warner or any other studio will abandon OAR, but I do think it means we will begin to see more P&S releases on non-main stream films, or films that will not sell enough units to warrant brand new transfers. It's just a fact of home video that will probably never go away as long as 4:3 sets are common (which they probably will be for a very long time, HDTV will never take off in the way we the enthusiasts envision).
    J

12. Justin Lane

Max, I have a problem for your call to boycott all Warner DVDs, when from the looks of your DVD profiler list you have quite a few Warner DVDs. If you are true to your convictions wouldn't you then get rid of or burn every Warner title until they change their policy ( you could say you are waiting to see if they change their policy, but what if they never do????).
    It's kind of like saying boycott all Ford cars, but then you drive one everyday just because you own one. Defeats the message you are trying to get across. One should go all the way and expunge what they hate or the company they are boycotting from their entire lives, or the call for boycott is useless if they are the ones doing the preaching.
    J

13. Justin Lane

For those not up on the definition of Boycott:
    From Webster's
    Boycott: To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion.
    I for one am not willing to do away with Warner entirely in my collection and stop using their products. If anyone is calling for Boycott, I hope they are willing to go all the way and make their stance valid.
    J

14. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I personally will not buy a pan & scan DVD PERIOD!! I don't care if it's Willy Wonka or any other title. I believe that most of us on this forum are on the same page on this issue. So I know for sure Warner's lost at least one sale from me, and quite a few more from others here. When the Warner's accounting department figures up how much they make on Wonka and other P&S titles, think about how much more you could have made if you didn't alienate the core group of enthusiasts represented on this forum!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]