"The Tiger of Eschnapur" great quality DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Robbins, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

The classic German film from Fritz Lang released in 1959 is now on DVD. My wife and I watched it in German last night and just could not get over the fantastic transfer (equal to the best I have seen).
    Do any of our German/Swiss friends know if the "Sissi" series is the same quality?

2. Christian R

Christian R Agent

Not sure if you're in Europe, so here's the question: did you get the PAL R2 or the R1 release (which is in the mail for me). The R1 has apparently been restored and looks awesome. The PAL version is off the same faded transfer as the German VHS (I guess you must be talking R1 here)
    Also - the SISSI DVDs (PAL R2) are quite nice - they were THX certified and digitally remastered. There's also a "making of" with Romy Schneider on location included. It's without sound, but hey, it's an interesting 10 - 15 minute addition.

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Glad to hear that it looks great. I have this & The Indian Tomb on order at Amazon. Image's transfers are not very consistent so I was a little worried about the quality. Thanks.

4. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

These are distributed by Image, but the source company is Fantoma - they don't release many titles, but what they do put out show obvious care in getting the best available print and doing the work to present it optimally.
    You should also check out The Great Silence, and they've announced the first volume of Ken Anger shorts for 2002!

5. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

Yes it is the R1 edition.
    Christian, where did you get your "Sissi" DVD? I hear that there is a package with all three films available.

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

7. Christian R

Christian R Agent

If you haven't read it/found it yet -there's a great review of the Fritz Lang DVDs at DVD Savant. Check it out - it's got me running to the mailbox every morning!!!Hope my DVDs show up soon!!!!
    REGARDING THE SISSI TRILOGY: Try amazon.de (free shipping within Germany - don't know about the rest of Europe) If you're outside Europe, they also deduct the salestax right away - and you save right there!!!
    Regarding English versions - try the (I know it's VHS and PAL) try the condensed version called FOREVER MY LOVE - which Paramount released back in the 60's - it's not bad; dubbing is also better than usual for European films - and cheaper than on e-bay.
    Weltbild.de - which also has the Sissi DVDs is also not bad. You can even pick up the OOP TV version (3 Videos)of DAS BOOT there.
    Happy shopping, Jim.