The Ticket Booth Experience

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Colton, May 23, 2006.

1. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

On April 28, 2006, I saw the subject "Ticket booth! on ebay in PA!" by dennisgg on the AVS forum. It read: "Item number: 7409731025. I wish I had the room for this!". Curious, I checked the Ebay item and was completely unprepared for what I saw ...

It was exactly what I had in mind as the focal point for my home theater, but the best part was the $150 starting bid and noone had placed any bids! The auction ended in my favor as the top bidder backed out. Payment made through Paypal. So, I'm thinking, "Well, the hard part is over with."

Famous last words. Just to type NIGHTMARE in big bold letters does this no justice on what I was getting myself into ...

Over the next several days corresponding through email to the seller proved to be difficult. The continuous request for the "high-resolution" photos went unanswered and the information about "shipping provider" was lacking. A week later, she contacts me with photos she took recently of the front and inside the ticket booth. It was an amazing piece! A absolute steal for the amount purchased.

The next few days were a blur of frantic calls to freight companies. The first company I contacted was R&L Carriers because they come highly recommended in fast service and good prices. So, how much to ship a 8 foot ticket booth from Pennsylvania to Oklahoma? $675. Not too bad. Everything was arranged for pickup.

Now, if you aren't familiar with how freight works - let me school you on a few things:

1. They aren't really movers. They ship crated goods.
    2. The price is very good - provided that your item is packaged.

My dilemma: the ticket booth isn't crated or packaged.

Once R&L Carriers arrived at the auction house where the ticket booth was located - they refused pick-up. Why? It wasn't crated. A quick phone call to the R&L Carrier office revealed that it was 100% guaranteed to be smashed to pieces if the item wasn't properly packaged and crated. Also, they wouldn't insure it if something were to happen to it (and something would).

Another call to the local Pennsylvania UPS Store to get a quote on packaging a 8-foot ticket booth. "Between $600 - $800." Ouch! I had to find an alternative. I'm stressing out!

Another freight company tells me to look for a mover. A mover to haul one big piece of furniture? I made calls the whole day to several companies: NAVL, United, Mayflower, etc. Most of them have a 2,100 lbs. minimum. The ticket booth weighs between 200-250 lbs. The cost: $2,000 to move it from PA to OK. Prices didn't vary too much. I'm getting frustrated and angry.

Out of curiousity, I wondered "what if someone local were to build one for me from scratch"? Showing the photos of the ticket window to several carpenters who gave me an estimated $2,500 - $3,000 range. Might as well just figure out how to get this beast to Oklahoma.

Checking the Yellow Pages and see a company that handles situations like mine. They are nationwide and move single auction items. A get a quote for $750 and no packaging or crating needed. At last! Too good to be true? Unfortunately.

The company is called NAVIS. I coordinated with the Oklahoma City office and they coordinated with the Pennsylvania office. Everything was set and my mind was at ease ... until the day it was supposed to be picked up. Not only was the PA driver late to meet the auction personnel to get the ticket window, but he also was going to charge an additional $350 for the hour he was late. Make sense? Not a bit! Several phone calls to the Oklahoma NAVIS office and they can't do anything about it. Not only did the Pennsylvania NAVIS driver want to charge the extra $350 - he couldn't get the ticket booth in his truck because the Oklahoma City office didn't give him the right dimensions. In other words, it didn't fit.

NAVIS was out of the picture and I'm stuck with a ticket booth in Pennsylvania that I can't get shipped to me! I'm having a nervous breakdown! I seriously considered begging the seller to payback the money to me and have him sell it locally because it seemed impossible to get anyone to deliver it. Instead, I make a few more calls ...

Somewhere inbetween the huge competition of large corporation movers and those who specialize in custom moving, there are independent moving companies that fill the gaps for those, like me, who need to be rescued. After a few phone calls, I find a local moving company that just happens to have a truck passing near Pennsylvania. A deal is made and the ticket booth is scheduled for pick-up.

As I write this, the ticket booth was picked up and is on its way to me. It should arrive this Wednesday. I'll be glad when this whole thing is over.

Do I have any regrets? Hell no!! Wanna know why?

I think this photo will explain:

[​IMG]

I'll be taking more photos when it arrives.

- Colton

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Wow, that's a pretty cool piece. How much are you going to charge admission to your HT? [​IMG]

I was going to point you to some shippers I know for folks shipping large items like 17' touring kayaks but it seems you have it on it's way already. Good luck to you, hope it arrives in one piece..

Jay

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

As an alternative, you could've flown out there, rented a U-Haul, and drove it home.

Still, great find!

4. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Jay H:
    Thanks for the concern. Admission will be free, of course.

DonRoeber:
    I thought about that, but I doubt it would have saved me much money. (airfare, car rental, u-haul rental, gas, food, lodging, etc.) Plus I would need to take at least a week off from work to complete such a roadtrip.

- Colton

5. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    A friend of mine owns a printing business and has bought several pieces of equipment off eBay. He does as Don suggests...rents a truck or a van and picks the items up. Why would you need at least a week off to do pick it up and drive it back? I would think that drive shouldn't take more than two days. I moved an entire house worth of furniture between Maryland and Chicago in less than 11 hours last summer.

6. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

I don't know what business you are in, but you should put "Miracle Worker" on your resume' next time. that is one heck of a challenge you pulled off.

7. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    Well we packed up everything the day before and since I drove by myself, I chose not to stop unless I was getting fuel. On the other hand, the %*#! U-Haul truck broke down on an isolated unlit stretch of I-70 in the middle of the night. Stuck up in the mountains, I was barely able to get a cell phone signal. [​IMG]On the other hand Colton, don't rent from U-Haul.

8. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I saw that listing on AVS. I'm only 15 minutes or so from the seller. No room for it though.

-Dave

9. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    Colton, judging from the picture, it was well worth the time, money and energy you spent on it. After you get it and your friends are green with envy think of the great story you'll have to tell. Now you need one of those lighted admission price signs most theatres had. I was going to suggest finding a used Automaticket machine, but on second thought I can't see you cutting into the counter to install it. Have a great time.

10. tyler payne

tyler payne Second Unit

I don't envy the trouble you went through to get your ticket booth shipped, but now that it is all over, I think your story makes your new HT piece all the more impressive.

You now have a great attention getter, and an even better story to along with it.

tyler payne

11. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Just out of curiosity, will you be able to get that into your house? Very nice piece.

12. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Just in case anyone is wondering: "what happened to that ticket booth?"

I'm having it refurnished and refinished. First of all, the ticket booth was built in 1925. There was a date etched into the top moulding to determine this. Secondly, the contractor who is working on it is making it more sturdy. He said, "When they built this in 1925 - it was never meant to be moved." Very true.

In the original photo, you can see the hack job that was used to replace the bottom moulding (kick board). It was an ugly fix. This was my first request to be repaired as it originally should look. After that, the whole thing will be refinished to look brand new.

Enough of the chit-chat ... here's some photos:

[​IMG]
    The new bottom moulding has been replaced. Obviously, it hasn't been refinished yet.

[​IMG]
    Randy, the contractor, hard at work in his shop to get the ticket booth looking new.

Will keep you up-to-date ...

- Colton

P.S. Bob, there won't be any problem getting it into the house. Let alone - to the 2nd floor loft. [​IMG]

13. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida

You're a glutton for punishment aren't you? [​IMG]

Very nice piece. I'm envious.