What's new

The Tick: The Entire Season - Press Release (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
THE TICK - The Entire Season
Arrives on Special Two-Disc DVD on September 30.

Live Action Comedy Series Based on Popular
Comic Book Stars Seinfeld's Patrick Warburton

Culver City, CA (July 23, 2003) - The ultimate comic crime-fighter has returned by popular demand with the release of the two-disc DVD featuring television's wackiest superhero The Tick, including all nine episodes of the hilarious TV series based on the campy comic book. The most requested title for DVD release by fans in a recent online poll, THE TICK - THE ENTIRE SERIES will be available at $29.95 SLP from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment on September 30.

Based on the fan-favorite comic book by creator Ben Edlund, this live-action series follows The Tick as he confronts evil powers. In a city filled with danger, one man stands in the shadows, waiting for evil to rear its ugly head, and feel the power of his superhuman noogie! A comedy different from all superheroes, THE TICK is filled with action, sarcasm and parody on the lives of married couples.

Starring Patrick Warburton (TV's "Seinfeld"), David Burke (TV's "Party of Five"), Liz Vassey (TV's "Push Nevada") and Nestor Carbonell (TV's "Suddenly Susan"), THE TICK was produced by Larry Charles (TV's "Seinfeld," "Dilbert" and "Mad About You") with the pilot episode directed by Barry Sonnenfeld (Men in Black, Get Shorty), which is available on the DVD in a version never aired before.

Jumping from roof to roof in one single leap, the mysterious blue justice defender The Tick (Warburton) patrols The City, and his limited knowledge of human life doesn't interfere with his desire to protect society. The frustrated and well-behaved accountant known as Arthur (Burke) left his job to join The Tick as The Moth, and now they're a crime-fighting duo. Arthur has always secretly wanted to be a superhero. Well, not so secretly, since he used his moth outfit (which looks more like a bunny) to work. On this fight against injustice The Tick also counts on Batmanuel (Carbonell) a lovely Latino superhero who never promotes himself without a worthy cause. The Tick's kryptonite is Captain Liberty (Vassey), the government's number one weapon in the battle against super villains.

THE TICK - THE ENTIRE SERIES features the following nine episodes:
THE PILOT
THE TERROR
ARTHUR, INTERRUPTED
THE LICENSE
ARTHUR NEEDS SPACE
COUPLES
THE FUNERAL
THE TICK VS. JUSTICE
THE BIG LEAGUES

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
Digitally Mastered Audio & Video
Widescreen Presentations
Audio commentary from director Barry Sonnenfeld (on two select episodes)
Audio commentary from The Tick's creator Ben Edlund (on two select episodes)
Audio: English (Dolby Surround)
Bonus Trailers
Interactive Menus
Episode Selection

Not Rated
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 201 Minutes
DVD Catalog # 01219 / UPC Code: 0-43396-01219-6
Order Date: 08/28/03
DVD SLP: $29.95

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen this show, and doubt it will ever air in Oz, what was it like? Is it worth picking up blind? I'm a fan of Sonnenfeld's work (most of it anyway).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's irreverent and silly in an amazingly witty fashion. Go to a local comic shop and find some collections to flip through

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The plot thicks. ;)

A lot of DVDs make me happy and enthused, but this one genuinely gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. And I feel a bit violated from that feeling.

At the same time, it really hurts to know that such a great show could be killed after only nine episodes were produced. The network obviously wasn't confident in this show since way before it was aired (and their piss-poor marketing and time-slot placement confirms it). This show was long delayed; the fact that only nine episodes made it into the can before it finally aired tells me that the show was never really given a chance from square one.

Of course, that isn't necessarily unusual these days.

I will buy this set with a smile on my face and will watch the episodes multiple times. Highly recommended.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's very very funny. Never saw the comic book or the animated series that preceeded the live action show, but it's very funny. Apparently (from what I hear) the comics and animated show were very much jokey parodies of superhero stories, but the live-action Tick couldn't really do that. Instead, it was a show that focussed strongly on the every-day life of superheroes. Difficult to describe but very very funny.

Is it worth picking up blind? Definitely. Notice this line in the press release:
The most requested title for DVD release by fans in a recent online poll
There was quite a considerable list of shows on that list, and this was the show that was most requested - not bad for a show that was cancelled after nine episodes.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to watch it during the brief time it was on, but I loved the animated series and the comics, so I'm picking it up.

Shawn_Sek

Stunt Coordinator
just some random thoughts...

i didnt recall this series being widescreen when aired?
it is nice to see some extras, i thought it was going to be barebones.
it looks like the retail price went up 10 bucks since the first reports on this set.
it is also nice to see the unaired episode in this set.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Damn it. Another title that I can't afford. I wonder what relative I'm going to ensure this is a Christmas present from?

(My damn wishlist for Sept-November alone is over $600 in Amazon prices without shipping)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I'll gladly pass on this. WHEN do we get the animated series on DVD???! Now, THAT would be worth owning...

Sarah S

Second Unit
I'm there. I liked the live-action show (when I was able to catch it), and I would get 17 copies if it helped show that there was demand for this show and helped get the animated version on dvd.

Plus, I'm a completist anyway. :b

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
WHEN do we get the animated series on DVD???! Now, THAT would be worth owning...
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the animated series will appear anytime soon.

I specifically checked into this possibility during this year's San Diego Comic Con, and received some disappointing news — Disney just purchased the rights to the series, and it is now officially part of their "archives." And it looks like it will be staying there for the time being, as Disney has no current plans to release the show on DVD. It is also very doubtful that The Tick will appear on DVD in any foreign territories, as I was told that Disney apparently purchased the worldwide rights. However, the one bit of good news was that creator Ben Edlund still owns the rights to the characters (and other unspecified rights to the series), therefore Disney cannot alter the series in any way for future broadcast or video releases (i.e., no re-editing OR re-dubbing.)

Does this mean that we'll never see a DVD release of The Tick? No... anything is possible. However, it is very unlikely that it will make an appearance anytime soon. (I was specifically told that if I wanted the animated series, that I should... *ahem* ... obtain it through "other means," which I did).

Disney acquired The Tick as part of a package deal that included several other shows (sorry, I don't know what those other shows are). I was told that Disney isn't really aware of what the show is about, it's appeal, it's huge following, etc. — it was simply part of an acquisition deal. Sure, we all know that The Tick is a viable properly, both for DVD release and TV re-broadcast. I believe that any The Tick DVDs would sell just as well as Fox's Family Guy, Futurama or The Simpsons DVD sets. But the problem here is that it's Disney — they need to be made aware of the value of this show, and somehow convinced that it's absolutely worth their time and effort to produce a DVD series (3 seasons, 36 eps. total). I was told that some of the folks who worked on the show already attempted to interest Disney in a video release, but had no success whatsoever. (Actually, aside from something like Davy Crockett, I can't think of any TV series owned by Disney that has received a DVD release.)

I can only dream that some shrewd folks over at Disney ARE aware of the show, and are waiting to see what the sales-numbers are for Columbia TriStar's live-action TV series before jumping on the DVD bandwagon with their animated version. Hopefully.

In any event, there is no TV series I'd like more on DVD than a complete, authorized The Tick animated set (following closely by Invader Zim, Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot and, um, Quark). Hmmm, maybe this should be the next big candidate for a letter-writing campaign or petition of some sort...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
(Actually, aside from something like Davy Crockett, I can't think of any TV series owned by Disney that has received a DVD release.)
Sports Night and Once and Again.

Frankly, I liked the live-action show even better, but I'd definitely buy the animated show. Disney is sitting on an opportunity.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
INTERSTING... they list "THE TERROR" as the second episode, as it should be...

this gives me hope that it will be the original cut, and hopefully the original cut of "Arthur, Interrupted".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithwilliams
Recent bookmarks