The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Deeb, May 31, 2012.

1. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Steve, from my understanding and either Tony or someone else on here can back me up on this, they made a second edition of this set but didn't include the 3D glasses as the shorts that were originally in 3D were now going to be in 2D format and yes, have been seeing this set as low as $24.99 but it fluctuates by month it seems on the price, but still highly recommend this set for the value and all the extra stuff to boot.

Sa5150 and Tony Bensley like this.
  2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The set I ordered from Amazon Canada in January 2014 includes the 2-D versions only. Insofar as the Ultimate Collection DVD set, I believe it was only the first pressings in 2012 that also included the 3-D versions.

CHEERS! :)

Sa5150 likes this.
  3. 83 Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    Do we have any idea what the new collection coming out in October will have in it ?
    http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-three-stooges-collection-complete-set-1934-1959/30228807?ean=0043396489301
    It seems this release is coming out very quietly . There is no artwork anywhere to be found or details other then it looks to be 17 discs so probably minus the Treasures 3 disc set . I'm hoping for a slim downed package and the 2 shorts back in 3d . (but please no spindle) . This so should have been a blu-ray set just in time to go along with all the other classic movies coming out on blu this fall . :(

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I really don't understand the reasoning behind just reissuing another DVD set, especially if it ends up not having the 3-D shorts, though it wouldn't surprise me, as Sony seems to be going for bare bones with this. Even Mill Creek did a 2 Volume Blu-ray reissue for their previously released 6 Movie DVD set, so why can't Sony follow suit with the 190 shorts?

CHEERS! :)

Sa5150 likes this.
  5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    I have a box set purchased in late 2012 that *does* have the 3D films and glasses. My stand-alone V7, purchased shortly after release, also has the 3D films and glasses. The outer label on the box set has no easy way to know if you have a 3D copy of V7 inside - unless they have it reflected in the total run time of the set. On the back of V7 you'll see at the end of the two 3D titles in smaller print, (in 3D + 2D). The non-3D versions omit that parenthetical information.

Sa5150 and Tony Bensley like this.
  6. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    The individual Volume 7 and the first prints of the ultimate box set will contain the glasses and the 3D shorts (IF you can still track those down) but the second printings and thereafter omit the glasses and 3D shorts and will only include the 2D versions of those Shemp shorts, if that makes any sense.

Sa5150 likes this.
  7. Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    so i'm a real lamebrain and I sold my old set because the outer cheap box was sent to me banged up ...I was tired of looking at the huge dent . So I bought a new one , I have not opened it but I would assume I have no 3-d in mine . I hope the new collection that comes out in Oct has those 3-d shorts and I could just sell this one when we find out what that set is all about .

8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the world of The Three Stooges on DVD. I grew up watching them, but I never collected anything of their shorts on VHS or DVD.

I came across this thread after doing a search. Looks like the set mention by the first post is still available. And it looks like a nice set.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M

Ignoring the other set mentioned above, I was curious from you guys if this set in the Amazon link still the best one to get for all their shorts. Looks like it's a great set. Thanks for any insight.

9. 89 Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    BobO'Link

Howie
    ^Absolutely! The current ~$45 price is also about the best it's been in ~6 months or so, according to camelcamelcamel. Most of us paid far more than that purchasing the volumes as they were released. It *has* been sold for much less but I don't know that I'd gamble on it going much cheaper with that new set coming out.

While the jury's still out on the new set all indications are it does not contain the 3 disc "Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault" set. As to whether or not you "want" that one depends on just how big a fan you are of Shemp, IMHO the main attraction for that set. It contains 14 Shemp solo shorts (from 1938-1947) made before Curly's stroke and Shemp's subsequent joining the group as his replacement. They're very good.

Then there are the 2 3D shorts: Spooks! (1953) and Pardon my Backfire (1953) which may or may not be in a new copy of the Ultimate Collection (depends on just when the set purchased was made) or the new collection (IMHO it's doubtful they'll be on that set). They're not absolutely essential but *are* a interesting segment of the Stooges career as well as entertaining in 3D.

What's inside that box is all 8 volumes plus the "Rare Treasures" set all in individual shrink wrap - just as if you purchased them individually and plunked 'em in a big box.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  10. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Tony Bensley likes this.
  11. Nelson Au

Thanks a lot Howie, Richard. Sounds like the right set then to pick up. :)

Regarding Hey Moe, Hey Dad, Antenna TV was airing the 9 parts this week. I was wondering why and they said they had been inducted into a Hall of Fame. It was a very good documentary. This was what peaked my interest in the collection.

12. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Nelson, DECADES Network aired that documentary this past week as Antenna TV no longer airs Three Stooges episodes.

13. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    Hey Moe, Hey Dad is available to buy or download http://www.threestooges.com/2015/10/12/the-poifect-gift-hey-moe-hey-dad-box-set/?tag=three%2Bstooges&afid=118

14. Nelson Au

My mistake, I meant Decades.

15. Nelson Au

I saw it on Amazon for $12 something!

16. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Check to make sure they're not sold out and the shipping might add onto the price.

17. BobO'Link

Howie
  18. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Howie, watch it...it's really good! Saw bits and pieces of it on DECADES this week and it's really impressive.

19. Sa5150

Sa5150 Stunt Coordinator

steve
    highly recommend getting the dvd set , comes with a lot of goodies . better picture quality then decades (decades is broadcast in 480I , the dvds up-converted on a bluray player should look much sharper ) , no commercials and logos or other annoying things popping on the screen . $12.50 at amazon is a steal , it should be back in stock soon . I hope .