What's new

'THE THREE STOOGES' Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Just got back from seeing it and let me tell ya, the movie was fantastic! Based on what it's based on it's one of the most spot-on and loving tribute films I've ever seen, they absolutely NAILED the Stooges! Just nailed them, in appearance, body language, speech, comedic timing and essence, it was quite astonishing to witness really.
I went with one of my best friends Kim who is a long life walking, talking encyclopedia of all things Stooges, the ultimate critic and she gave it her seal of approval which is probably the biggest compliment the film can be paid lol, never mind critics and the general movie-going audience, if she says it's dead on to the Stooges you can take it to the bank lol.
Loved every second of it, it was hilarious, simple (like the old shorts themselves) and it's obvious that everyone involved did their homework and tried to pay a flattering tribute to the boys and they pulled it off big time. I've read bad reviews from general viewers who said it's stupid, crap, a waste of time etc but they all seem to fail to remember what the source material is and on that front it was as accurate as can be.
I think the Stooges, if they were alive today, would be proud of what was accomplished here, if your even a casual Stooge fan like me give it a shot, it's really worth seeing, an underdog film if ever there was one.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's so much crap in theaters these days, especially so-called 'comedies" that people flock to in droves, I don't know what's so good about this stuff whenever I catch parts of these movies on cable or whatever - most of the material is painfully unfunny and vulgar. I used to watch the Three Stooges on TV as a kid and remember liking them but I'm far from a big fan of the series (mostly because I sort of forgot about it as I grew older). From the moment I caught the trailer on Youtube, I knew I was in for a treat. I actually couldn't wait for the film to come out to go watch it. Sure enough, I loved every minute of it. I never laughed so hard in a loooong time. It was great! The audience with me wasn't a big one but most people were also laughing hysterically, except for the teens sitting in the front row - they were mostly quiet (and likely bored by the looks of it). Fans of true comedy owe it to themselves to go watch this film. Thank goodness they didn't cast people like Jim Carrey - the actors portraying the Stooges were spot-on, especially Curly. Amazing!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The film doesn't really contain anything outside of the usual Stooge shenanigans like excessive slapping, eye-poking and pratfalls (all accompanied by the cartoon sound effects used in the shorts) so in that respect I would say it's kid safe, if your son is used to seeing that in the actual shorts than he'll be fine I think. They kept it rated PG so there is no swearing, realistic violence or sexuality, the trailer had a scene that shows Kate Upton emerging from a pool wearing a bikini but that scene isn't in the actual film but man oh man I wish it was lol.
Right before the credits role there is a service announcement telling the kids in the audience that everything they saw was fake and not to try any of it themselves, they even demonstrate the rubber hammer used in the film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I really enjoyed this, too. It was far better than I ever expected it to be. If you enjoy "stooge" humor, you should love this film.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't quite feeling it for current-day incarnation of "The Three Stooges", but then the scene with the defibrillating iron showed up, and I started to laugh quite a bit from that point on.
The plot is nothing more substantial than its original roots, but it does enough to bring enough of the 3 Stooges funny to warrant a matinee viewing if you liked the original 3 Stooges material.
I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently saw the 2012 film The Three Stooges by the Farrelly Brothers - for the first time. Frickin' hilarious! As a big fan of the Stooges shorts as a kid/young adult (re-runs in the '80's & early '90's), I was initially concerned that this film wasn't going to be "true" to the characters. But, my fears were groundless - very funny movie that truly reminded me of the original characters, gags, and situations - but all with a modern "twist". Great casting for Moe, Larry, and Curly as well.

One of my favorite elements of this film was how Moe ended up being a cast member of the "reality" show Jersey Shore - LOL. I used to watch this years ago & thought it was hilarious, but thought all of the characters were really full of themselvesl. So, it was great to see Moe berate, beat up, and humiliate the other cast members on the show - very funny:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks