What's new

The Three Stooges Collection, Vol. 2 (1937 - 1939) (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TCM can't show them because Spike TV has the rights.

I'm not sure how much more promotion they can do but the first set did get in Best Buy's weekly flyer and it was mentioned on Turner Classic Movies.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Well time to get on the soap box, I am happy that Sony/Columba is willing to continue these wonderful releases in order, I know how many of us stooge fans were really unhappy with the mix bag lot that was out there. And for the low number sales, it has been discussed here as well as other post on this forum, that it wasn’t marketed as well as it should have been. The biggest factor is that Sony need to get the B&M stores to free up the space of the unauthorized copies.

My biggest hope is that out of all of this that Lionsgate will open there eyes, next to WB, with all the mergers and acquisitions, they have one of if not the second largest classic film library. And are sitting on the perfect release, done a lot of research on this one, how about a correct release of the Hal Roaches Little Rascals, the Complete Uncut ones that Cabin Fever did was good but in order. 80 shorts, minus General Spanky, that is owned by WB. 2 sets of 40 shorts each.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

So now Lionsgate owns the Little Rascals? I have better hope for them than Hallmark, or whoever it was who owned them before. It would be great to get a complete set of their shorts.

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I went onto ThreeStooges.net but i'am still banned, however, down the bottom i have seen the thread titles and one is titled VOLUME 2 OFFICIAL SONY PRESS RELEASE it can be found in the Stooges DVD/VHS/Home Video section, does anyone want to go there and copy and paste it onto here so we can read what it says?

I dont mean to ask but i have trawled the web without luck, on the ThreeStooges.net website Shemps#1 is one of the mods, can someone see if they can acquire his email address and send it to me in a PM? He's the guy who banned me and i want to see if i can talk to him about unbanning me.

Thanks.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

How do you get banned from a Three Stooges board? Did you say Joe Besser was your favorite stooge?

The PR doesn't say anything new, but here's the cover artwork:

So much for changing the design to something more official-worthy.

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

Atleast Sony are going with the same look, however, just like volume one it isnt pretty... Do they mention any extras? I suppose you would've said so if they did...

As for the banning, no i didnt say Joe Besser was my favourite, who would? In one of the dvd threads, the discussion was becoming about Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey, because of the fact that they are having alot of there movies released and at that point there was no word on volume 2... And i let the people in that thread know that i didnt enjoy reading about them, which yes it is stupid because its a free country and when Shemps#1 told me about it, well, i didnt know he was a mod and i used one of those eye roll smilies when talking to him... Even if he wasnt a mod it was still rude of me, first ever forum i've been banned from and i'am a regular on quite a few and well its a Stooges forum. :frowning: I just hope i can get back on it, because its a great forum...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm going to be ordering at least one (and possibly two) sets of vol. 1 in the next week or so. I've been reviewing the first nineteen 'shorts' on a couple of Boards. This collection looks awesome. I began to purchase the previously-released sets, but thankfully waited a tad longer for something like this to be distributed.

Last night, I showed my daughter the 'hand waving in front of the face routine,' and how the Stooges (Moe in particular) used to do this to Curly and Shemp. When I continued to show her how Moe would move his hand downward toward the table and tap it gently, and how Shemp would continue to stare at the hand and bang his head on the table as Moe did so with his hand, she thought that was awesome. I still think that that is one of the greatest things I've ever seen from a comedy team. :)

Matthew H

Second Unit
First, "We Want Our Mummy" is spelled as "We Want Our Mommy", and they specify the set is two years and not three. The Sony informant will be letting the Sony Rep aware of these errors before the release is officially sent out.

Second, extras were never planned for this release. The minimal extras that are in the pipeline are intended for possible future sets.. more likely in the Shemp and Besser era, to push sales. A lot of people are Curly completists and would stop right there (why I don't know), but that's what Sony is holding out for.

We all have to remember that this set sold only and purely by word-of-mouth. There were no advertisements in trade papers, no commercials, no plugs on TCM.. nothing. So even if this 12,000 figure is accurate.. I find that pretty impressive albeit unlikely. As of now, there will not be any promotion for this set, either.

Out of all the shorts listed, the ones that need the most work are Grips, Grunts, and Groans and of course Back to the Woods. Both look almost as bad as a A Pain in the Pullman, and almost unbelievably Sony made it look like it was shot yesterday.

According to the Sony informant, this set has to basically sell better in order to secure future volumes. At this rate we'll have all 190 shorts in a total of 9 Volumes, however, chances are the Shempless-Shemp shorts and the Besser's will be packaged differently (that's speculation on my end). I for one can't wait for ALL 190.. there isn't a short I dislike, just some I like less than others.

Spike's contract was a long one.. they started airing the shorts in April of 2005, and I'm not sure if the rights lapse effective the 1st of this April or not.. either way it would be really nice if Turner got a hold of the shorts again. Most of my Stooges tapes are from the marathons TBS had in the late 80s/early 90s.

I still have all of the shoddy prior Columbia releases, and unfortunately with these still on the sales floor (and even being repackaged in FYE stores in collective tins), people aren't going to be able to tell this fantastic set apart from the others. Not only that, but not one retail store in my area other than Fry's (which sells obscure titles anyway) even stocked it. A damn shame.

Hopefully we'll get more news, if any, soon...

Matthew H

Second Unit
Np, Hallmark still owns the talkie-Roach library.. their distributor was Artisan, which was bought out by Lionsgate.

Rumor had it a few months ago that the rights to the talkies reverted back to RHI, but I haven't found any concrete evidence on that.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Can you rejoin under a new name? I've had more than one name here (although not due to banning). What keeps people from joining under multiple names?

jhro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James

I think my ip addess is banned and not just my username because i attempted to go on the site on another computer at my house, which doesnt automatically log me in with my username, and Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum! ...

[/quote]Quote Matthew H
Ah, JH! Never piss off shemps#1..
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth...

Apart from this thread and the ThreeStooges.net website, there isnt anywhere else that has people going on regularly like another Stooges fan site...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think what contributes most to the lower than expected sales is the very generic title: The Three Stooges Collection. If they'd entitled it something more grandiose like The Complete Three Stooges, and had the words "chronological" and "restored" in big letters on the packaging (not in small letters at the bottom), then maybe more people would notice.

Then again, looking at Amazon, Volume One is ranked #548 in overall DVD movie sales (#19 in Comedy Series DVDs, and #49 in Comedy Television DVDs - though why is another story), and Volume Two preorder is already ranked #635 overall (#22 in Comedy Series and #52 in Comedy Televison), with the release still two months away.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
For those of you who own the first volume, are these single-sided discs? I haven't done the math (minute-wise) for the two discs. If they were double-sided, I'd pass. If not, I'm getting these pronto. :)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Yes, volume 1 was single sided discs.So Im assuming volume 2 will be the same, but who knows, because volume 2 has more shorts.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Ok about the Our Gang / Little Rascals, the Hal Roach ones

Status of ownership
Currently, the rights to the Our Gang/Little Rascals shorts are scattered. RHI Entertainment (successor-in-interest to Hallmark Entertainment) owns the copyrights of and holds the theatrical and home video rights to the Roach-produced Our Gang shorts. RHI acquired these after absorbing Hal Roach Studios, Roach's estate, and Cabin Fever Entertainment in the late 1990s. King World held the rights to the Little Rascals trademark and the Little Rascals television package until 2007. Today King World's rights are with CBS Television Distribution (which was formed by the merger of King World with CBS Paramount Domestic Television), which offers both original black-and-white and colorized prints for syndication.

Hence Lionsgate is the distributor of RHI properties; I know that all of the old Hallmark /Artisan stuff was that way. Lionsgate Has a home video library of more than 8000 films (many the result of output deals with other studios), and acquisitions. Hallmark put out 2 sets then the third one was done by Lionsgate.

Not to slight any of the child actors, but really a decent set in order of the roach comedies needs done, about the later MGM ones, I sort of hold them in the same frame as the Besser stooges.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Eric (and Tony and Matthew),

Thanks. I was hoping to read that they are single-sided discs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks