What's new

The Three Musketeers (1921 film) from Film Preservation Society and MoMA (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would love Robin Hood, for as good as the Errol Flynn version is, I prefer the Fairbanks version even more. It would be awesome to have that version on BluRay as the only time I've watched it was from a beat up print.
I love Errol, but the man was Doug Sr. one fearless son of a gun!!!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
December 2022 Film Preservation Society Newsletter

the new newsletter is out and they are having a special for those interested

1669914783951.png

is on sale on blu ray on their site for $10, hope that helps some of the Silent fans

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Thanks. Shipping is $5.
Got mine when it first came out the bonus features on it are really really interesting. And the fact that everything that they release helps them to fund the American biograph restoration project which they include some of on their releases as bonus features

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I just watched the Lawrence restoration doc on youtube with Mr. Harris. I was floored when after all this tremendous work Lean saw the film and said well now I want to recut it. I had no idea this happened. I felt so bad for the guy.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched the Lawrence restoration doc on youtube with Mr. Harris. I was floored when after all this tremendous work Lean saw the film and said well now I want to recut it. I had no idea this happened. I felt so bad for the guy.
It happened.

Per DL’s instructions, every deletion or trim was found and restored (except for two that he wished left out - 1 very short shot , and a time of day change with dissolve)), and one sequence was extended per my suggestion, bringing the film back to beyond it’s original running time.

We then re-cut down to 217 minutes + mx.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
back with another update

January 2023 Film Preservation Society Newsletter

and again the new newsletter is out and they are having a special for those interested

1672594965109.png

Happy New Year! To celebrate 2023, we are offering a special sale on our Douglas Fairbanks Double Feature: DOUBLE TROUBLE and MR FIXIT. For the month of January only, this BluRay will be only $10!! This disc also has two Biograph shorts: HER FIRST BISCUITS and THE ADOPTED BROTHER.,

hope that helps some of the Silent fans

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
This came out so nicely, I'm hoping that other Fairbanks titles such as "The Mark of Zorro" and "The Adventuers of Robin Hood" might be given similar treatment. Both deserve the love that the 3M was given!!
Between MOMA and UCLA, it should have the elements needed for the projects.

Attachments

• douglas-fairbanks-1922.jpg
    douglas-fairbanks-1922.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 11
  • zorro.jpg
    zorro.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 10

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
This came out so nicely, I'm hoping that other Fairbanks titles such as "The Mark of Zorro" and "The Adventuers of Robin Hood" might be given similar treatment. Both deserve the love that the 3M was given!!
Between MOMA and UCLA, it should have the elements needed for the projects.
I would love to see both of those as well but I have a feeling if those happen they'll probably be single releases.

And hopefully his copy arrived I'm really curious to see what RAH thought about the release of Too Many Kisses.

It's nice to see that people are actually interested in silent films doing proper Restorations and quality releases

And possibly, if we were to really get lucky there would be a release of a bunch of the American Biography Shorts, that have not appeared as bonus features on any of the other releases.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would love to see both of those as well but I have a feeling if those happen they'll probably be single releases.

And hopefully his copy arrived I'm really curious to see what RAH thought about the release of Too Many Kisses.

It's nice to see that people are actually interested in silent films doing proper Restorations and quality releases

And possibly, if we were to really get lucky there would be a release of a bunch of the American Biography Shorts, that have not appeared as bonus features on any of the other releases.
Oh I'm sure thet would be single releases, just want the love giving to 3M to be shared to these other Fairbanks classics!! The Biography series might be a studio rights issue, allthough I'd love them as bonus featuers for sure!!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Oh I'm sure thet would be single releases, just want the love giving to 3M to be shared to these other Fairbanks classics!! The Biography series might be a studio rights issue, allthough I'd love them as bonus featuers for sure!!
American biography pretty much ended when silent film ended, so all these things would be well before that time. All of them should be public domain and the work that's being done, is basically a labor of love to preserve the rich film history, somewhere in there is Lily and dishes first appearance on film, DW Griffis first Direction on film

Which always brings up the conundrum, when people tell you what their favorite film is.. how can they actually make that statement if they've never seen every film that's ever been made. A truer statement would be what is their favorite film of the films that they've seen.

But I'm just a novice trying to find my way, and no better place to start than the beginning.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Which always brings up the conundrum, when people tell you what their favorite film is.. how can they actually make that statement if they've never seen every film that's ever been made. A truer statement would be what is their favorite film of the films that they've seen.
I think the point you're making is much more valid about people boldly and foolishly asserting that this or that film is the best movie ever made. Whenever anyone says what they like the most, it's implied and understood that they haven't sampled everything.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I think the point you're making is much more valid about people boldly and foolishly asserting that this or that film is the best movie ever made. Whenever anyone says what they like the most, it's implied and understood that they haven't sampled everything.
...and this would be a valid point, if this was a debating team. However, this is but a humble forum discussing the shared love of film that each person has with the films that THEY love, with thier experiences and memories. Perhapes with a new year will come a better understanding of ourselves, others and how to relate to threads.
These mute, off thread meanderings do nothing to add to the discussion. And more times than not, offer nothing positive to the conversation. It seems to be a passive aggressive attempt to lower someone in order to raise them up, in some way. Time to move forward, my mother told me once, "If you have nothing good to say, don't say anything"...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks