What's new

International The Third Man Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
That's a good reason to just buy the single disk version if you don't have a region free player

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The single disc blu ray is gorgeous and plays on my region A player just fine, but apparently the extras are in PAL and/or are locked but otherwise pleased with my purchase.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Jim*Tod said:
The single disc blu ray is gorgeous and plays on my region A player just fine, but apparently the extras are in PAL and/or are locked but otherwise pleased with my purchase.

I was able to view all of the features on my Region 1 Samsung player without any issues. But, that's with the 4-disc set, so I don't know if they adjusted things from edition to edition.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm pretty sure the disk is identical. The difference is probably in the player being unable to play PAL. Some players can do it out of the box, and some can't.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
David_B_K said:
Mine 'sold' for $122, but the jerkoff who 'won' my auction didn't want it after he sniped it at the last minute; keeping me from selling to another bidder for $120. I think I'll just keep it now. I'm tired of getting stiffed by shitty buyers on eBay and Amazon.
Hi David!

I simply don't get the mentality of those who pull crap like that! It's as though they were put on this Earth for the sole purpose of screwing other people around! It's too bad that there aren't any provisions in place for this sort of thing.

Try not to let it get you down too much, however challenging that may be.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Horrible. Still, eBay's Second Chance offer system should allow you to sell it to that next highest bidder.
Tony Bensley said:
Hi David!

I simply don't get the mentality of those who pull crap like that! It's as though they were put on this Earth for the sole purpose of screwing other people around! It's too bad that there aren't any provisions in place for this sort of thing.

Try not to let it get you down too much, however challenging that may be.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My story now seems to have a happy ending. I filed an unpaid item claim against the guy. After that closed, I relisted it as a Buy it Now and sold it for $115 and have received payment. I'll be Priority Mailing it tomorrow.

This was my first ebay sale in years. From reading ebay forums, I get the impression that ebay is now rife with buyers who "win" auctions and then change their minds. I went with Buy it Now in the hope that I'd get paid immediately. It is rather shocking that there are so many people either so inconsiderate or stupid that they have no qualms about ruining auctions. I was floored by the nonchalant manner of the guy weaseling out of a contract like he did.

On another good note, I received the new 1-disc version of The Third Man from Amazon.uk. Looks great! I also picked up the new Studio Canal Blu-ray of Tales of Hoffman, which also looks great. Strange that The Third Man was all-region but Tales of Hoffman was region B locked.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Now playing my Studio Canal The Third Man on my Sony Blu-ray. Plays perfectly. Haven't yet tried the other discs but since I'm not yet region-free, probably a waste of time for now.

I had planned to go region-free with a new region-free Blu-ray player (Sony 7200 Region-free) but now with UHD Blu-ray players on the horizon, now it a waiting mode again on any region-free upgrade.

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
I ordered the French digibook edition back some time ago and was very happy with it. The restoration is beautiful and the supplements are excellent as well. Especially the restoration segment. I'll never need another version, short of a 4K UHD release. Speaking of which, I actually don't think a single b/w catalog title has seen a UHD release yet. I wonder though, if it will happen with this, or any other classic in b/w.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I just purchased and received the UK Region Free Blu-ray of the 4K restoration
a few days ago.

In order to fully appreciate this restoration, one needs to have an older disc from which to compare. A little A/B comparison makes you more excited than you would be otherwise.

One of my favorite films.

All the Extras play on my Region A Samsung Blu-ray Player (as I figured they would).

3 of the Extras do not play on my old Region A Sony Blu-ray Player (as I figured would be the case).

WIth some exceptions, for 50Hz/25fps,
most Region A Samsung & LG players will do the conversion for your USA HDTV,
and most Region A Sony & Panasonic players will not do the conversion.

The movie and all the other Extras play fine on both my Region A Sony and Samsung players.

Last edited:

Brian9229

Rushman
Real Name
Brian
I just purchased and received the UK Region Free Blu-ray of the 4K restoration
a few days ago.

In order to fully appreciate this restoration, one needs to have an older disc from which to compare. A little A/B comparison makes you more excited than you would be otherwise.

One of my favorite films.
Absolutely! Prior to owning the French version, I had the less than charming Studiocanal bluray. What. A. Difference. Enjoy!

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have the Lionsgate Blu-ray. Does everyone agree the Studiocanal 2015 Blu-ray is a big improvement in picture quality? Natural grain and no evidence of DNR etc. I could find no online reviews discussing picture quality. The 2015 has subtitles, missing from the Lionsgate, that's an advantage too.

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the Lionsgate Blu-ray. Does everyone agree the Studiocanal 2015 Blu-ray is a big improvement in picture quality? Natural grain and no evidence of DNR etc. I could find no online reviews discussing picture quality. The 2015 has subtitles, missing from the Lionsgate, that's an advantage too.
Internationally, there are so many versions of this film it is hard to keep track. I never owned the US 2010 "StudioCanal Collection" from Lionsgate disc, but the UK 2015 Vintage Classics StudioCanal is excellent - superior to the 2008 Criterion. From Brian's comment above, it seems to be much better than the 2010 Lionsgate as well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Might I suggest that a mod change the title of this thread?

I saw "The Third Man 4K Blu-ray" and thought it might've been either an announcement (or rumor) about a UHD release, or a discussion about the likelihood of one.

On edit: Thanks to whomever it was that changed the thread title.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I have the 2008 Criterion blu-ray, the 2010 Lionsgate blu-ray, and the 2015 French StudioCanal Digibook blu-ray. The 2015 StudioCanal is the best, with the Criterion a close second. There's no good reason to have the Lionsgate release in lieu of the others. I had picked up a copy when it was released because it had extras not on the Criterion, but the 2015 StudioCanal edition includes them (I hadn't thought much about it before, but I really should add it to my box of trade-ins for my next Bull Moose trip).

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I have the 2008 Criterion blu-ray, the 2010 Lionsgate blu-ray, and the 2015 French StudioCanal Digibook blu-ray. The 2015 StudioCanal is the best, with the Criterion a close second. There's no good reason to have the Lionsgate release in lieu of the others. I had picked up a copy when it was released because it had extras not on the Criterion, but the 2015 StudioCanal edition includes them (I hadn't thought much about it before, but I really should add it to my box of trade-ins for my next Bull Moose trip).
Thanks Jerry. I believe the Criterion also has extras which are not on the 2015 StudioCanal, so I hold onto the Criterion.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Are there any online picture comparisons between the earlier Studiocanal/Lionsgate Blu-ray and later Studiocanal 4K restoration?

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Mine 'sold' for $122, but the jerkoff who 'won' my auction didn't want it after he sniped it at the last minute; keeping me from selling to another bidder for $120. I think I'll just keep it now. I'm tired of getting stiffed by shitty buyers on eBay and Amazon.

I've occasionally had that happen on ebay, but never by the same person twice because I block them from ever bidding on my stuff again, or even contacting me. Easy to do on eBay.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Are there any online picture comparisons between the earlier Studiocanal/Lionsgate Blu-ray and later Studiocanal 4K restoration?
A comparison between the two discs is available at caps-a-holic.com and confirms the 4K restoration is superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks