What's new

International The Third Man Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Richard Gallagher said:
This falls into the "no brainer" category for me. I have the Criterion Blu-ray still sealed, so I should be able to sell it for more than what I am paying for the 4-disc set. I'm seeing used copies which have sold on eBay for upwards of $100.
Very cool. I really wanted to get that Criterion version because of the Steven Soderbergh commentary (he's usually got interesting things to say whether it's his film or someone else's) but I dropped the ball and didn't get it before it went out of print. I'd love to hear that track one day but I can't believe what it goes for on eBay - that's awesome that it should finance your upgrade :)

Will probably get this 4K mastered version at some point, I only have it on DVD. The new restoration was showing recently in NYC at the Film Forum but I missed it unfortunately.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kyrsten Brad said:
Thanks atfree. Seeing that I don't yet have a region-free blu-ray player, can anyone tell me if this particular Blu will play over here on Region 1/A blu-ray players (Amazon page says Region 2/A but I've had good luck with these so far, the ones from Germany & Australia anyway)?

I hope so, this looks to be the version of The Thrid Man I definitely want. Would be great to finally see this film after hearing Third Man radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics channel (featuring Orson Welles).
Sorry, it's Region B only.

Alex,

Is right, I just played the BD on a Region A player so DVD Profiler is wrong about it being Region B only.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Kyrsten Brad said:
Thanks atfree. Seeing that I don't yet have a region-free blu-ray player, can anyone tell me if this particular Blu will play over here on Region 1/A blu-ray players (Amazon page says Region 2/A but I've had good luck with these so far, the ones from Germany & Australia anyway)?

I hope so, this looks to be the version of The Thrid Man I definitely want. Would be great to finally see this film after hearing Third Man radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics channel (featuring Orson Welles).
Yes, the UK blu-ray I linked to is confirmed Region Free. Says B on the box but has been confirmed Region Free on my Panny region A BD player and in the review at Blu-ray.com. Note: the BD in the set is Region Free but the DVDs with extras are region B. You can get the single BD edition as well which is also region free. Magnificent transfer by the way.

Single BD:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Third-Man-Blu-ray/130991/

Boxset:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Third-Man-Blu-ray/131014/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
atfree said:
Yes, the UK blu-ray I linked to is confirmed Region Free. Says B on the box but has been confirmed Region Free on my Panny region A BD player and in the review at Blu-ray.com. Note: the BD in the set is Region Free but the DVDs with extras are region B. You can get the single BD edition as well which is also region free. Magnificent transfer by the way.

Single BD:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Third-Man-Blu-ray/130991/

Boxset:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Third-Man-Blu-ray/131014/
It certainly is just beautiful, I'm glad I bought the four disc boxset.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
It must be kismet i.e. destiny for me to buy this box - ordered Friday afternoon (EST), dispatched Saturday and arrived today !

I shall open it up after dinner tonight with the respect it deserves :D

As a comparison, I'm still waiting on on "DCI Banks Season 3" dvd that was shipped out from England some 10 days ago.

Regards,

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Josh Steinberg said:
Very cool. I really wanted to get that Criterion version because of the Steven Soderbergh commentary (he's usually got interesting things to say whether it's his film or someone else's) but I dropped the ball and didn't get it before it went out of print. I'd love to hear that track one day but I can't believe what it goes for on eBay - that's awesome that it should finance your upgrade :)

Will probably get this 4K mastered version at some point, I only have it on DVD. The new restoration was showing recently in NYC at the Film Forum but I missed it unfortunately.

The bidding is currently at $51 with four days to go. There are 21 watchers, so I suspect that there will be some serious bidding on Sunday. It's already more than I paid for the U.K. set, which is on its way to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Richard Gallagher said:
The bidding is currently at $51 with four days to go. There are 21 watchers, so I suspect that there will be some serious bidding on Sunday. It's already more than paid for the U.K. set, which is on its way to me.
I thought about selling mine, but I just can't do it. Not with some different bonus material.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Richard Gallagher said:
The bidding is currently at $51 with four days to go. There are 21 watchers, so I suspect that there will be some serious bidding on Sunday. It's already more than I paid for the U.K. set, which is on its way to me.

I'm still amazed I managed to snag my copy of the 2-disc DVD edition off eBay for less than $30 last month. When I saw that listing go up with a Buy it Now, I pounced on it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Allansfirebird said:
I'm still amazed I managed to snag my copy of the 2-disc DVD edition off eBay for less than $30 last month. When I saw that listing go up with a Buy it Now, I pounced on it.

My listing has been bid up to $62 and there are 24 people watching it. I'll report back after the auction ends on Sunday evening.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Richard Gallagher said:
My listing has been bid up to $62 and there are 24 people watching it. I'll report back after the auction ends on Sunday evening.
I gotta get mine on eBay this weekend.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wonder how mine would sell if disclosed I had the slipcover insert custom recreated...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Mine was originally a digi-pak, but I ordered the plastic Blu-Ray case and insert from Criterion.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As was mine, but the digipak was damaged in shipment and I never got around to getting it replaced nor getting the replacement Criterion case and insert. I finally commissioned Fritz to re-create the insert so I could have a presentable copy.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yep. Me, too. That is a good commentary and one can tell he was thinking about his film, The Good German. Triple dip for me, once I order. I think I will just get the single Blu-ray version, since the soundtrack alone is of no interest, nor a DVD copy since I have both previous Criterions on Blu-ray and DVD.
Robert Crawford said:
I thought about selling mine, but I just can't do it. Not with some different bonus material.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Ok I just bought it ( the box set) against my better financial judgement.
I just really wanted this film after hearing all these Third Man classic radio shows on SiriusXM.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Richard Gallagher said:
Mine 'sold' for $122, but the jerkoff who 'won' my auction didn't want it after he sniped it at the last minute; keeping me from selling to another bidder for $120. I think I'll just keep it now. I'm tired of getting stiffed by shitty buyers on eBay and Amazon.

Guido Bibra

Stunt Coordinator
I just found this topic by accident... I'm the one who made the original comment about the 16:9 encoding on the DVD edition that was quoted by Glenn Erickson and I just wanted to make it clear that the Blu-Ray is definitively NOT affected and the transfer looks magnificent even on the badly encoded DVD. Studio Canal indeed "pillarboxed" the 1.37:1 image in a 16:9 frame, which is an absolute shame and a terrible waste of resolution. I ended up keeping the DVD for the extras and because if I zoom up on my old, but trusty 4:3 TV it's still watchable, but nowhere near as sharp and detailed as it could have been if it used the full DVD frame instead of just the middle.

Go buy the Blu-Ray, everyone, it's amazing. I think it might be locked to Region B, because the DVD is R2 too - but there is only one edition for all of Europe with multi-language menus.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Guido Bibra said:
I just found this topic by accident... I'm the one who made the original comment about the 16:9 encoding on the DVD edition that was quoted by Glenn Erickson and I just wanted to make it clear that the Blu-Ray is definitively NOT affected and the transfer looks magnificent even on the badly encoded DVD. Studio Canal indeed "pillarboxed" the 1.37:1 image in a 16:9 frame, which is an absolute shame and a terrible waste of resolution. I ended up keeping the DVD for the extras and because if I zoom up on my old, but trusty 4:3 TV it's still watchable, but nowhere near as sharp and detailed as it could have been if it used the full DVD frame instead of just the middle.

Go buy the Blu-Ray, everyone, it's amazing. I think it might be locked to Region B, because the DVD is R2 too - but there is only one edition for all of Europe with multi-language menus.
While the DVDs in the boxset are Region B locked, the blu-ray itself is confirmed Region Free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks