What's new

International The Third Man Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

David Com

Agent
A couple of threads I've read on other forums are also reporting region free on the UK disc. As I said, it loaded right up for me on an Oppo BDP-93. Haven't tried it on my 103 yet, but I expect the same result.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
As much as I like the music in the film, listening to this LP is indeed akin to passing dangerously close to one of the Circles of Hell.

(TV series, same music.) (Sorry it doesn't all fit on the scanner.) (I know you're all disappointed.)

Attachments

• 3rdManLP-1.jpg
    3rdManLP-1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 70
  • 3rdManLP-2.jpg
    3rdManLP-2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 57

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi!

Just a short note to clarify my first post:

DVD Savant has not reviewed the new Studio Canal PAL DVD of The Third Man.

However, the message from Guido Bibra quoted above was posted by Glenn Erickson on the DVD Savant main page: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/ - scroll down past the reviews headlines, and you´ll find Mr. Bibra´s message.

The message from Guido Bibra will almost certainly be taken down very soon, as the main page of DVD Savant is updated every Saturday and Tuesday with new reviews and news items.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Yes it's region free. I must have had my player set to Region B but it is unusual for a SC Blu to be region free.

I see what the dvd comment was about now. I checked the dvd today and they have indeed presented the 4:3 movie unnecessarily pillarboxed on the dvd so a little bit of quality is lost but only really an annoyance for people who might still have a 4:3 tv.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
4-disc British version ordered. Couldn't stand it anymore. I sold my Criterion blu a few years back, and I've regretted it ever since. I do have the Region 1 Studio Canal, which is okay, but this.... yeah, I love this film, so upgrading was necessary. :D

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Craig Beam said:
4-disc British version ordered. Couldn't stand it anymore. I sold my Criterion blu a few years back, and I've regretted it ever since. I do have the Region 1 Studio Canal, which is okay, but this.... yeah, I love this film, so upgrading was necessary. :D
I also just ordered the 4-disc collectors edition.....$32 shipped from Amazon UK is just too hard to pass up based on the sterling reviews I've seen. Replacing my old Studio Canal BD (I missed out on the original CC edition and refused to pay $100+ for it on the secondary market).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
atfree said:
I also just ordered the 4-disc collectors edition.....$32 shipped from Amazon UK is just too hard to pass up based on the sterling reviews I've seen. Replacing my old Studio Canal BD (I missed out on the original CC edition and refused to pay $100+ for it on the secondary market).
Same here, just ordered it along with Forty Guns.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
In this day of 16X9 TV being the norm, more and more DVDs with 1.33:1 AR are being encoded 16X9 enhanced rather than 4X3. So yes with less horizontal resolution due to the baked-in pillarbox bars. But none of this has anything to do with The Third Man 4K-mastered Blu-ray, so I digress...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I love the new release. I ordered the standard single disc version as it seems to have everything the 4-disc one offers except the DVD versions, and the music cd ... I already have a 10 inch shellac disc of the music (theme on one side, Cafe Mozart on the other) and being a 78 rpm disc, it sounds fantastic and in keeping with the era!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
This falls into the "no brainer" category for me. I have the Criterion Blu-ray still sealed, so I should be able to sell it for more than what I am paying for the 4-disc set. I'm seeing used copies which have sold on eBay for upwards of $100.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Amazon UK got my THIRD MAN to me in 10 days, too--which is actually 3 to 5 days longer than its packages usually take to arrive to me in Brooklyn. But it's a bulkier package.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
atfree said:
Not sure about Craig, but mine was from Amazon UK. This was the fastest I've ever got something from them. Usually 2 weeks, this one about 10 days.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Third-Man-Limited-Collectors-Blu-ray/dp/B00X7RHUFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439169086&sr=8-1&keywords=third+man+blu+ray
Thanks atfree. Seeing that I don't yet have a region-free blu-ray player, can anyone tell me if this particular Blu will play over here on Region 1/A blu-ray players (Amazon page says Region 2/A but I've had good luck with these so far, the ones from Germany & Australia anyway)?

I hope so, this looks to be the version of The Thrid Man I definitely want. Would be great to finally see this film after hearing Third Man radio shows on SiriusXM Radio Classics channel (featuring Orson Welles).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks