What's new

THE THING (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
...looks great! There have been some complaints about this one that I've read and I believe they mostly have to do with inflated expectations. As a realist, I believe the HD-DVD of this film looks wonderful.

There are a few inconsistencies, a few shots where there is some grain, a few shots that are a bit soft, but to me this is nitpicking. On the whole, this disk is a significant upgrade over the SD-DVD and looks like a very good 35mm print of the film, which in my opinion is all that this format should strive to accomplish.

Sound was pretty good, no true HD.

Added bonus: not a combo disk as origionally thought, and also uses the theatrical one-sheet as cover art instead of the kinda lame cover for the anamorphic DVD.

Overall, pretty jazzed with this one.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This is one film I am looking forward to view. Certainly, one of my fav Carpenter films. Can you confirm it is really a 2.35:1 format, not the 1.85:1 the label states?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Sounds good! Though I thought the anamorphic disc looked quite good, and even the original release wasn't bad for being non-anamorphic. So if it's a step-up from the DVD, it's sitting pretty in my eyes.

Definitely one I'd like to have in HD someday.

What are the soundtrack options. Good DD+ track? I love the music in this film. Some great sound effects too!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was on the fence about this one. Its always been a fav of mine but wondered if it would really be worth a HD upgrade since its almost a 25 year old movie.

It looks really great. I agree those complaining about it have inflated expectations.

Glad I picked it up.

PS Who do I have to bribe to have Halloween and Re-Animator in HD too:)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
It blew me away. There are more 3-D scenes that you can shake a stick at! Some scenes you can almost touch the blood that's oozing...yikes!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
The packaging doesn't indicate it's a combo disc, and there definately is not an SD version.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I finally got around to watching the whole movie tonight and I was struck by how much tension it still creates even after repeated viewings. Everything about this movie screams 'classic.' I just never grow tired of turning down the lights and watching this John Carpenter masterpiece. I too was quite happy with the last SD release that finally delivered with an anamorphic transfer. However, I have to say that this HD DVD is a huge improvement that, dare I say it, creates a more three dimensional effect. I could nit pik some minor visual problems but they were never distracting...maybe it's because this is such a damn good flick. If you love John Carpenter's The Thing, you've gotta pick this HD DVD up.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I finally got around to watching the whole movie tonight and I was struck by how much tension it still creates even after repeated viewings. Everything about this movie screams 'classic.'"

I watched The Fog and The Thing for Halloween this year.

Those early Carpenter movies are full of atmosphere and mood. The people making crappy horror today should study those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtAD