What's new

The Thing remastered dvd: any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just picked up a copy at the store everyone else is. I was shocked to see releaes for the next three weeks already on the shelf but that's another story.

I skimmed through the movie to get an idea of the transfer and it's certainly a lot better than the previous release. There wasn't anything wrong with the first release so that should tell ya something. As for the packaging, this is without a doubt the worst I've ever seen. In fact, I might buy the original release again so I can use that case.

The store I got it from had at least 15 copies in the horror, sci-fi and action sections so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Its against HTF policy to name street date breakers. All I can tell you is I bought mine at store that borders between a Radioshack and a Gamestop. ;)

Michael, why buy another DVD just for the cover art? I made my own cover. Drop me a line if you want me to email it to ya. :)

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Thanks Jeremy I get it.

I still don't think the cover art is that bad guys.. sure I like the original, but this is acceptable in my eyes.

Anyways, I'm pumped for this one!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Jeremy---Thanks but I woke up this morning and someone had already sent it to my e-mail.

Chris---The artwork is actually quite good but it's the packaging that I don't care for. I always enjoyed snappers but this here is below that.

This unnamed store also had out early: Ed Wood, Happy Birthday to Me, Dracula (1979), Fire in the Sky, Mark of the Devil and a couple others I can't remember right now.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That's a good idea for the disc art, Matt!

Without getting too off-topic, does anyone if Carpenter has a film planned for next year? I'd love to see him finally make a pure Western with Kurt.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Carpenter needs a comeback in a big way. His last couple of movies were pretty rotten, I'm starting to think if maybe he should just stick with his music.....did I just say that?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As far as I remember he did say that he is basically in retirement....that will change I am sure if he get's a project that interests him.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
I still love Carpenter. His new love of cheap bar music has killed a lot of the mood in his recent movies. Tighter editing would help too.

Greg Black

Second Unit

Ha. One of the two Carpenter films I have yet to see. You may be right, though. I'll find out in a couple of days, as I have this in my Netflix queue. To be honest, I have stayed away from that movie because I have heard it was so terrible.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I LIKE Vampires! Ghosts of Mars is pretty bad and Village of the Damned was horrible, though. I'll stick up for just about anything else, though (blame Chevy Chase for what happened to Memoirs Of An Invisible Man).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Vampires isn't that bad. James Woods is pretty solid most of the time. Ghosts of Mars is God-awful though. The only Carpenter movie I haven't seen is Village of the Damned, but I've heard it sucks too. Everything else gets a thumbs up from me.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I liked Ghosts of Mars in clunky B movie kind of way. VOD did suck bigtime...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I rather liked Vampires myself....hilarious at times.

And in the minority, I liked Ghosts of Mars as well, perhaps not as good as his second film that it was obviously based on (among other films & stories) but I liked the action, the Music, the dialog & the chemistry between Natasha & Cube....what can I say, I liked the film for what it was. Quick, Cheap & Dirty...but Fun. Much like Vampires.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris

Yeah figures..I own it. Hey, but it was on sale for 7 bucks at BB, so eh? What are ya gonna do?

Ghost of Mars might go down as the worst movie in history. I can't believe JC actually directed this. I mean, when they are sitting down watching the final version before it goes to theaters, does he really think he's got a winner here?

Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks