What's new

The Thing remastered dvd: any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Maybe it's the browser in the computer I'm on at the moment, but I did my own A-B screen caps last night on a calibrated monitor and I see an even greater difference between versions compared to those otherwise good examples above.

I checked the file sizes and if memory serves, the former version of the film itself is 3.8gb and the new one is 4.7gb.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Oh...my...God!
An improved DVD of THE THING?!
Christmas comes early for me!!! Thanks for the review that absolutely convinced me to grab this baby ASAP!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Im trying to create my own coverart for the new DVD, and I want to use the original theatrical poster art. I found what it looks like ..
http://www.outpost31.com/todd/collec.../USposterN.jpg

It is slightly different from the old DVDs cover art. The DVD is framed much tighter, and the title font blocks a portion of the art. Does anyone happen to have a quality capture of the original theatrical poster that can be used to creat my new DVD cover?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Jeremy and Andrew, thanks a bunch for posting those shots and for those mini-reviews. I am so happy that this appears to be a solid release. This will be picked up ASAP.

Also, outnow.ch has a good-sized image of that poster, but the type is larger.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Randy thats great! Thanks! Matt, can you email that pic? Im not a member on that site, plus its all in German.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ok, now I know I am not seeing things, on the screen caps that feature a black object over a white background I know I see Edge Enhancement, I.E. fuzzy halo's around said object....are you guys not seeing this?
On JeremySt ninth pic look at the flags.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit
Gordon:

I think there's also a F-ing couch around here I intend to lash myself to when watching this re-mastered Carpenter masterpiece just as soon as I can score a copy. Hilarious thing, by the way, your couch reference...

As for that infamous tell-off line to The Thing, guess there's a dash of ol' Jack Crow in MacReady, eh?

I'm also thinking of snapping up the the Halloween sequels--for my own marathon--that Carpenter had a bit of a hand in; the very much under-appreciated Halloween III, and the--"It Stinks" (according to Carpenter) Halloween II... You know, for nostalgia. And there's just something so totally macabre about that Cochran guy's plan to "treat" the kiddies of the world using chunks of Stonehenge rock imbeded in their Halloween masks. Apocalyptic, nihilistic, very Carpenter...

Say, you wouldn't happen to have that Prince of Darkness dvd that was re-issued a year or so ago, would you? Any substantial improvements in the image quality over the original Image Entertainment release?

Thanks,

Jack

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Hey Jack, about the Prince of Darkness....very sad to say that it's the original release just in a different package:angry:

And that sucks because I do like that movie. To me, it's one of Carpenters underrated horror flicks.

Anyway, I hope someone can prove me wrong because that's a movie I would love to have better A/V quality.

Also, quick side note I just heard...Sci Fi channel is doing a sequel to The Thing in a mini series...sorry but this is the worst thing I've heard all year. Holy Crap people, the Sci Fi channel? If this is true...this sucks!. :thumbsdown:

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
DVD Empire posted the back cover.

BTW, Great pics and review Jeremy. The atmosphere of this film is so intense and creepy. Having it in 16:9 will be a real treat. :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Wow! Sounds cool! For anyone who is interested, I have completed my cover art for THE THING. I can email it to anyone who requests it, or if someone wants to host it, I can email it to you. It turned out really nice, I think.

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Any reason the isolated score was dropped? rights? Also, is there any news on a new dvd of Dark Star?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Jack Johnson, I have the UK region 2 edition of Prince of Darkness which has very good anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer and commentary by Carpenter and actor Peter Jason. Well worth importing: Amazon.co.uk

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I just picked my copy up, and I thought that they could have done something a bit cooler (rimshot) with the disc art. The DVD itself seems to be embedded in an large block of ice, so they *should* have made the DVD look like the top of the semi-buried alien craft (which is also circular).

Thanks, Universal, for finally re-releasing this with a beautiful anamorphic transfer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks