What's new

The Thing remastered dvd: any reviews? (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

I dont know that you could switch audio while the disc was playing. I think it had to be selected from the menu. First select "special features" then "terror takes shape" then that brought you to a screen where the options ( i think) were "play" and "audio". You then had the option of chosing the score.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, do you have the previous non-anamorphic disc? I'd really like to see some side-by-side comparisons. I swear that DVD Beaver once did a R1 vs. R2 of the old transfer, but it is not there now. The old transfer had some grainy shots in the exteriors; fine sand/snow can be bitch in compression, too. My guess is that the O-neg has grain during those shots.

Also, are the menus the same? The previous menus were horrible.

Cheers.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I have the old disc around somewhere at home-I'd have to look for it.

Regarding the documentary, I just selected the doc and it started playing. Didn't seen any audio choices.

The menus aren't anything special-nothing animated. I don't think they're the same as the old one though.

John S

Senior HTF Member
dang, I'm still using my LD copy. Which is quite poor.

Add another title to my list I suppose... Any changes in the flick itself in this newest version?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

I noted in another thread that it was highly unlikely that the isolated score would be repeated on this re-release of The Thing. That feature, mostly due to money, is being slowly eliminated from DVDs. No re-release of a DVD with an isolated score has ever included it again on the new version, and this one appears to be no different.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey Andrew Bunk, are you Buckaroo? Because the screen shots at DVD Talk are pretty much exactly the same.

Did I notice some EE in Screenshot 7?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Yep-same guy. I just use that as my handle over there. And actually it's "bunkaroo". An ex-bandmate of mine called me that once and it kind of stuck, at least for online stuff.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
...sound like a bunch of bunk to me....boy I'll bet you get sick of hearing that, huh? ;)

Greg Black

Second Unit
Yep, just from the screenshots, I can tell this new release has better color fidelity and is possibly sharper (no doubt helped by the anamorphic enhancement). The last two screenshots concern me though. It appears as if the grain structure of the film is not being accurately resolved by the encoder. Possibly some compression artifacts there. Ah, oh well, the new disc is cheap and has a new transfer. I'll save my complaints for the HD version. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member

It's very annoying. It seems that whenever I upgrade a DVD, for some reason like this, I can never get rid of the old one.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

Also, those are particulary smokey/cloudy shots... they may look alot better when the shots are in motion... I hope.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I hate to say it, but I think they look worse in motion. I found these shots by simply forwarding through the film at at least 8x-16x speed. I was just looking for decent scenes to capture since I'm not intimately familiar with the film. The grain in these scenes caught my eye during the search. It's still worth the upgrade though IMO.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I just stopped by my local street-date-breaker and found 2 copies. Im going to check it out and post an elaborate review later tonight! If anyone can host them, Ill prepare screen caps from both versions...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Ok here we go... some of this has been covered before.. but Im going to start fresh.

THE CASE
The new release uses an outer plastic case, much like the MGM releases of THE USUAL SUSPECTS. The inner case is a single fold case, with a clear disc holder, and there is art visible behind the disc. There in no linear notes, although there is an obvious spot to put one. Its almost as though they planned on it, but then cancelled. Those of you familiar with the Universal case for LEGEND will probably have similar feelings about this case.

My system is as follows:

DISPLAY: Mitsubishi 46" Widescreen CRT RPTV Calibrated with DVE. PROCESSOR: Denon AVR 3805 DVD PLAYER: Denon DVD-3910 SPEAKERS: Energy EXL Series, Velodyne DD-18 Subwoofer. CABLE: Denon Link, Transparent Audio

For the video comparison, I went off memory, and through the use of side by side screen caps on my PC. For sound, I had my Denon 3910 and a Panasonic DMRE50 playing both discs at the same time, and I switched back and forth between the two, instantly comparing the audio from the same part in the movie. I realize there may be differences in audio between these two players, but I think the differences I took note of were far too dramatic to be attributed to the DVD players.

First off, I'd like to point out that the new release has no forced up-front ads. The menu is very much the same, but on the main page, eliminates the original theatrical poster art, and subsitutes the new DVD cover art. The music playing over the menus is various cues from the soundtrack. (edit: it is slightly different music than the previous release)

THE IMAGE QUALITY

A clear improvement over the original. Dirt, dust, and scratches have been reduced dramatically. I didnt notice any major print damage, a problem that was an obvious distraction on the original DVD. Also, during the opening credits on the original DVD, the picture was "twitching" or jumping a little bit. On this new DVD, the picture appears to be nearly rock-solid.

The image detail is clearly improved, with far more detail to be found in the vast white-snowscapes in the opening scenes. The wind-blown snow has far more texture. The previous DVDs whites look blown out and overly-contrasty. The blacks are much deeper and darker. The original DVD had fairly hazy blacks. I saw no edge enhancement. If it was there, it wasnt bad enough to to call attention to itself.

-edit: some people have noticed Edge Enhancement. I went back and did some closer looks. There is some very minor EE in some scenes, most noticably in the outdoor shots, but overall, I still don't find it to be terribly distracting. Ive seen alot worse.

The color appears much more saturated. Flesh tones remain very accurate. There are not many scenes with colors other than blue, blacks, and white, but when scenes involving vivid colors begin... fire and special effects... they look alot better.

Some outdoor scenes have increased grain.. but those scenes also seem to have more detail. Some may find the graininess objectionable, but its only apparent on a few of shots involving outdoors with smoke and blowing snow.

See screenshots and comparisons to the previous release on DVD Beaver

SOUND

It is different from the old DVD.

MUSIC
The most obvious difference is the music. The low frequency information has been increased a substatial amount. The music is spread across the front channels a little bit more, and a little to the surrounds.. but both DVDs utilize the left and right channels predominatly. During the opening scenes, the music hits with much more low end. It also sounds a little smoothed out on the highs. Not as shrill as the old DVD. In the opening scene, as the helicopter passes over the rocky cliff, the first notes of Ennio Morricone's score sound different on each disc. On the old DVD, there is a clear "pluck" or "pop" sound as each note strikes. This could even be distortion.. not sure. On the new DVD, that is non-existant. Im not sure which is more accurate, but I can tell you I prefer the more open, expansive sound of the new DVD.

DIALOGUE
Sounds 99% identical to me. Only during scenes that incorperate loud sound effects and music, does it appear that the dialogue remains more clear and seperated, without any apparent distortion. On the old disc, the dialogue occasionally suffered during these scenes.

SOUND EFFECTS
A little bit more low end on things like gun shots, flamethrowers, and explosions. The effects also appear to be spread more throughout the front channels, but not consistently. Sometimes they sound exactly the same as they did on the old disc. There really doesnt seem to be any added "punch" to the sound, other than the expanded low end bass. Most will be glad to know that there are no new sound effects or changes made to the sound.

EXTRAS

All the same, but no isolated score available as a 2nd audio track for the documentary. Also, unlike the 1st DVD, the documentary has no chapter stops. At 80 minutes long, this is somewhat of an annoyance.

SUM UP
This disc is clear improvement over the the first. Short of a full blown restoration, this new transfer is excellent by my standards. Given the film's age, I think it looks great. The difference between the two disc's audio tracks is not earth-shattering, both are very good, but if you appreciate even the slightest audio improvement, youre sure to enjoy the upgraded audio presentation here.
At about $15 or less at most retailers, this is a great deal. My only gripe is the cover art and case style, but thats an easy fix.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Holy Crap Jeremy! Great review!

You might want to talk to Ron to get a job here. Very informative. I love the fact that there seems to be an update on the audio portion, that is a nice suprise.

Of course having this released in anamorphic isn't too shabby either. I thought the original release was pretty good for a non-anamorphic, but have been waiting for it to be cleaned.

Thanks for the review!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Thanks! This is one of my favorite movies, and when I heard about this new disc, I started frothing at the mouth. I only did what I love to see others do when they get their hands on a disc early. I made a few edits and and additions to my review as well.

P.S. have any of you ever noticed on the isolated score on the original DVD... 36 min 05 seconds in, the audio suddenly ceases to be isolated, and suddenly a blast of... something comes in for 1 second? I think the dialogue from the clip at that particular instant suddenly comes on.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Hoo boy, what a difference a new transfer makes. Jeremy's comments are spot on.

Lots more detail, warmer snow and better balanced colors - but still retaining Cundey's blue backlights - Halloween 25th anyone...? ;)

Black level is much improved, etc., etc.

Nice remastering Universal - now, please revisit Somewhere In Time as an anamorphic title now that we're all thinking about Mr. Reeve...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to tie myself to this fucking couch and watch this movie as part of my 8th Annual Halloween Movie Marathon, I just love Carpenter and for all my pretentious high-brow tastes, The Thing has always been a firm favourite of mine. Ra-ra!

JeremySt: You're a hero! Great work. Cheers.
:)

Thing: "Whrrrrraghhhhh!"

MacReady: "Yeah, fuck you too!"

Always loved that line. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks