The Thing: HD-DVD Combo Format

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Scott Calvert, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

From Hi-Def Digest: Universal has changed The Thing to a DVD/HD-DVD combo disc. This is bad right? The Thing has a ton of extras that would most likely need the extra disc space.

Wish the studios would drop this format. Not really sure who they are targetting. People buying HD want the absolute highest quality possible. The compromise really makes no sense.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't have a problem with the HD-DVD combo format, but I know others don't like them.

Crawdaddy

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This subject has come up before, but the format is targeted towards two groups: those who want to purchase DVDs with portability (they can play them on their own HD-DVD player and their friends DVD players) and those who do not yet own an HD-DVD player but expect to in the future and are not buying DVDs now (but would if they could get both).

Of course you may not fit in either catagory, but there are those who do. If there are not enough of this group, the dual-format disk will die an early death.

I would suggest that 'extras' and 'quality' are not the same. Many people care nothing about extras.

4. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I thought I read that combo discs were coming out with 30 gb on the HD side. Might this be one of them?

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

My opinion is that it's not a bad idea as long as the used space does not compromise video and sound quality. But a good idea for those who would look towards to having a HD-DVD player in the near future. I would start collection dual format releases now if that's how all new releases came out.

6. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

I have absolutely zero experience with HD-DVD but I'm wondering: since The Thing is quite an old movie then the extras are likely in SD. If that's the case then the extras could be on the DVD side without compromising quality since it was never HD to begin with. Or am I missing something such as there being HD extras planned for this release?

7. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The way Universal does its combo discs is:

Side A is an HD-30 with the high-definition 1080p presentation and the in-movie experience and any HD bonus materials.

Side B is a DVD-9 with the standard-definition 480p presentation and the SD bonus materials.

Rather than press an HD-DVD with a HD-DVD layer and a DVD layer, its easier to press it with two sided discs. This also helps with player compatibility issues.

8. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Is DVD-9 single layer? The Terror Takes Shape documentary is about an hour and a half...if it is single payer how would they fit the movie and the documentary on the DVD side?

9. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    If the HD side is indeed dual layer with 30gigs, then I don't see a problem at all. Unless there's some kind of a laser rot issue. (And I know the Universal dvd18 story).

-Reagan

10. Gekkou

Gekkou Stunt Coordinator

DVD9 is dual-layer. A single-layer disc is 4.7 GB. DVD9 = 9 GB

11. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Except for the higher price, I have no problem at all with combo discs.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Agree w/ Larry

13. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    ditto. Don't like the higher price for combos but I understand it. Kind of [​IMG]

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

My perception of these combo discs definately changed after actually getting a player. I thought it was good that I could by a new release on the combo format and not have to upgrade in the future. Now that I actually have a player, that's not a factor (but I know it still is for many).

Generally, I think combo discs make sense if the title is a new release, meaning it hasn't even been released on DVD yet. That way, there's no upgrade involved. You can buy the combo disc and watch the SD side until you upgrade.

However, releasing catalog titles like The Thing on the combo disc doesn't make as much sense, as I already own it on SD. Therefore, the SD side is meaningless to me, and still would be meaningless if I didn't own an HD-DVD player yet.

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    It's pretty tough to triple dip just to get the movie in HD!

What's funny too is that the price is creeping up to the cost of a single LD in it's heyday...$39.95...remember that price!

16. dany

dany Supporting Actor

Org Thing which is better or the remake?

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I've kind of been looking at HD-DVD/Blu-Ray as more a successor to LaserDisc than DVD, anyway - at least until HD gets real traction, which I figure is a good five to ten years off at least - these are niche products, quality upgrades for hard-core film/electronics fans but not really different enough to get people to upgrade from DVD.

18. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

The fact that The Thing has had 2 other SD incarnations seems to make this combo disc overkill, at best. But having heard TrueHD now, I will definitely be getting this one! Ennio in TrueHD! Woooot!

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    hd/sd hybrids are being made and sd alone being made for individual movies.
    why isnt there a hd dvd only being made too?
    or just eliminate the sd only version.

you know, for those of us who have no need for the hybrid just make it available as just hd dvd.