What's new

Pre-Order The Thing From Another World (1951) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve only recent been chasing DVDs that are out of print on eBay. But prefer to buy new when possible. Discogs is a great resource for out of print CD’s.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Yeah, I don't buy used discs, it's something I never done. I'm leery of buying anything on Ebay too.

Ha, I've bought tons of s/hand CDs, DVDs & Blu-rays & never had a problem (I've had a few problems with new discs), & I buy more & more from ebay, you get some great offers there (esp. with box sets).

Yeah, I've bought used for years and years. Never a problem.
I’ve also bought used discs, generally from Amazon, but I can’t claim to have never had a problem, so Robert’s reluctance is warranted. Sometimes I receive a different edition than the one listed and often the condition is much worse than stated (you call that “like new”???). Often times I will also receive “rental editions” that are shorn of their extra features. Once I ordered a Blu-ray and received a DVD! Another time I ordered a BD/DVD combo and of course the BD was missing from the package. Fortunately Amazon makes it easy to return stuff.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I buy used stuff. It’s been fine 99% of the time, and on the rare occasion when the disc didn’t play right, Amazon and eBay both refunded me instantly without even having to return it. I figure if you’re buying from either of those places it’s pretty risk free. At most, you might be out some time but you won’t lose money.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Now that an HD master exists, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new UK Blu-Ray with the previous extras available soon.
I doubt it as Warner's in the UK are not exactly huge supporters of classic DVD/Blu Ray physical releases. It may get an HMV UK exclusive release in the future as they have a tie up arrangement with Warner Home Video.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I, too, purchase quite a bit of used product. From Amazon and secondspin mostly. The few issues I've had are resolved fairly quickly. Even with Amazon MP vendors and not Amazon directly. I don't use Ebay as I just don't trust the platform due to the rampant piracy/bootlegs offered there. I purchased tons of stuff from Hastings (online - the store never had good deals) before they went under - never had an issue.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not a big used disc person -- I like my stuff. I'll buy an occasional Low Stock/Hard to Find/OOP item. Some older items with a Slipcover or special packaging. Learned the hard way with Laserdisc that disc handling is not a priority -- cleaning with Brillo pads, stacking disc 100 on top of another not in a case, using them as frisbees. As long as it played a little bit and wasn't broken in half -- it's like new, near mint, 9.5/10

Ebay is OK, but the one thing I try to avoid is buying anything with a stock picture from a private seller. If the seller even has a single Bootleg report I run. Most of the time if a non-retail site has 50 of a single item (or 50 ea of 10 different items and they registered 1 month ago) it's a bootleg until proven otherwise.

Bootleg BD are pretty easy b/c 99% are burned. DVDs can be a little trickier though there are several major red flags in the description that pretty much guarantee it's a fake

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Ha, I've bought tons of s/hand CDs, DVDs & Blu-rays & never had a problem (I've had a few problems with new discs), & I buy more & more from ebay, you get some great offers there (esp. with box sets).

Ironically, the first time I bought a DVD from eBay, 15 years ago, it was a copy of THE ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL. It arrived as an unplayable CD and when I complained, got no response from the seller.

When I reported it to eBay, they said the purchase was under $30 and nothing they could do about it.

A month later I bought a DVD of the Dr. Strange TV movie, and it just never arrived. Notified the seller, no response.

When I reported it to eBay, again they said the purchase was under $30 and nothing they could do about it.

I have never been back to eBay and don't regret it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Back to topic...I'm typing this on 11/13. When is this going to have an official release date? Hope this doesn't turn into another DARK OF THE SUN thing (which, btw, also doesn't seem to have one yet, either).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Back to topic...I'm typing this on 11/13. When is this going to have an official release date? Hope this doesn't turn into another DARK OF THE SUN thing (which, btw, also doesn't seem to have one yet, either).
Obviously, 11-13-18 isn't the release date. Warner Archive released their new podcast this morning and only announced two new BD releases "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" and "The Satanic Rites of Dracula". They talk about the Bogart/Bacall boxset and some DVD releases. I think the replication issues are playing havoc on their release schedule.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Obviously, 11-13-18 isn't the release date. Warner Archive released their new podcast this morning and only announced two new BD releases "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" and "The Satanic Rites of Dracula". They talk about the Bogart/Bacall boxset and some DVD releases. I think the replication issues are playing havoc on their release schedule.

Probably correct. At my age, patience is truly a virtue.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Perhaps announcements ought to be limited to dates when there is a reasonable certainty of release.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The replication problems seem to be affecting a pretty good percentage of recent and upcoming releases. I really hope it gets ironed out before the holidays settle in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks