What's new

Pre-Order The Thing From Another World (1951) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I like "Forbidden Planet", but I don't love it. To each his own. If I had to choose a second favorite Sci-Fi film it would be "Them" with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" coming in third.

Both THE THING and FORBIDDEN PLANET were run on Million Dollar Movie (W.O.R. TV channel 9 in NYC) in the 60's, which meant that each was presented 16 times during the respective weeks they were broadcast. Having watched each over and over again, I had them memorized -- the dialog, the music, even the exact places where commercial breaks were inserted. PLANET was one of the earliest color showings on MDM, and I was invited to a neighbor's to watch it on their (then very expensive) color television. But after that, I watched it at home in black and white another half dozen or more times. I don't think I could pick a favorite between them. They are very different films and each seemed to me at the time (and now) to be absolutely perfect. Once I acquire what is apparently a nice transfer of THE THING, I will have collected damn near every one of my favorite sci-fi films on Blu-ray (I like -- with caveats -- the German edition of THIS ISLAND EARTH, but would swipe up a new 4K edition, and have an HD copy of WAR OF THE WORLDS, but it isn't what we could have if Paramount stops being a dick and gets this out to us on physical media).

Almost there!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both THE THING and FORBIDDEN PLANET were run on Million Dollar Movie (W.O.R. TV channel 9 in NYC) in the 60's, which meant that each was presented 16 times during the respective weeks they were broadcast. Having watched each over and over again, I had them memorized -- the dialog, the music, even the exact places where commercial breaks were inserted. PLANET was one of the earliest color showings on MDM, and I was invited to a neighbor's to watch it on their (then very expensive) color television. But after that, I watched it at home in black and white another half dozen or more times. I don't think I could pick a favorite between them. They are very different films and each seemed to me at the time (and now) to be absolutely perfect. Once I acquire what is apparently a nice transfer of THE THING, I will have collected damn near every one of my favorite sci-fi films on Blu-ray (I like -- with caveats -- the German edition of THIS ISLAND EARTH, but would swipe up a new 4K edition, and have an HD copy of WAR OF THE WORLDS, but it isn't what we could have if Paramount stops being a dick and gets this out to us on physical media).

Almost there!
Like you, I grew up watching the Million Dollar Movie on W.O.R. TV/Channel 9 during the 60's and it became a basis for my love of classic films along with some other factors. As to the "War of the Worlds", I would love to have it on disc, but for now the 4K/Dolby stream from iTunes will do.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Mine arrived from Amazon on cyber Monday. Only sampled the first few minutes, but what I saw blew every previous version out of the water ( or should I say "ice"?)

Will watch it completely tonight.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Post office snafu with my copy.

It was "out for delivery" yesterday and with another Amazon order, and then at 8:11 last night I got a message on my Amazon app that "delivery attempted but did not want to leave unattended". Problem is, I was sitting on my front porch smoking a cigar at 8:11 last night and no delivery was attempted. Also, my son had an off-day from college and was home all day and all our other mail was delivered.

I contacted Amazon to let them know no delivery was attempted; they responded this morning that they had contacted USPS and my packages has been "mistakenly" scanned as an attempted delivery. Amazon refunded me $5 per order, which wasn't necessary since it wasn't their error, and my packages are back "out for delivery" today. We'll see.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

It was "out for delivery" yesterday and with another Amazon order, and then at 8:11 last night I got a message on my Amazon app that "delivery attempted but did not want to leave unattended". Problem is, I was sitting on my front porch smoking a cigar at 8:11 last night and no delivery was attempted. Also, my son had an off-day from college and was home all day and all our other mail was delivered.

I contacted Amazon to let them know no delivery was attempted; they responded this morning that they had contacted USPS and my packages has been "mistakenly" scanned as an attempted delivery. Amazon refunded me $5 per order, which wasn't necessary since it wasn't their error, and my packages are back "out for delivery" today. We'll see.
Since UPS is their agent, the responsibility for the mistake does belong to Amazon. IMHO.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

In my neighborhood, USPS and Fedex sometimes give erroneous results like this (as well as sometimes delivering to the wrong address). For example, USPS notified Amazon that they delivered a package at 3:11pm last week. The mail had been delivered, but the package was not there. Much later that night, my wife found it on the porch. I've had packages reported as delivered by USPS that don't show up until the next day.

They're either reporting the delivery early to make their stats look good, or they're dropping at the wrong address and a kind neighbor later drops it on my porch.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
In my neighborhood, USPS and Fedex sometimes give erroneous results like this (as well as sometimes delivering to the wrong address). For example, USPS notified Amazon that they delivered a package at 3:11pm last week. The mail had been delivered, but the package was not there. Much later that night, my wife found it on the porch. I've had packages reported as delivered by USPS that don't show up until the next day.

They're either reporting the delivery early to make their stats look good, or they're dropping at the wrong address and a kind neighbor later drops it on my porch.
Just got an update....it was delivered a few minutes ago.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just finished watching The Thing. Then I checked out the trailers. The SD trailer contains 2 brief scenes that aren’t in the move. In the first the viewer gets a glimpse of what I believe are Eskimo’s backing up in fear. The second shows Scottie falling backwards over a bed with his cameras pointing up. Later in the movie Scottie comments on the incident but it is not in the movie.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought it looked excellent in HD and was very pleased with how crisp the image was overall. Some of the scenes were slightly blurry - probably the footage that maintains the film being 'uncut'.
Upgrade from the DVD ? Absolutely
Pass or Fail - PASS
:D

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Semi rumor and update -- Bluray.com and Facebook combo, but sounds reasonable

George Hargensen
"Just got a reply from WAC in my Facebook account about the "Amazon exclusive" issue I had asked them about a few days back before ordering my own copy. Replication problems caused WAC's all initial stock (so far) to be allotted to Amazon.com. They have an "estimate" date for general release of "The Thing" to other outlets,online sellers,etc, Jan.15,2019, but "subject to change" if problems should arise."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Well... This is going to be a hard wait. I refuse to pay Amazon MSRP, even for a title I really, really, really want (this one for example). They often drop the price of these WAC titles to ~$18 within a week or so and that'd be OK but it's not yet happened and, with this news, likely to not happen anytime soon. Alternately, I was hoping to pick up one from DD during one of their coupon opportunities, but it's not yet listed there and based on that message won't be for some time... Dang it!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
^Well... This is going to be a hard wait. I refuse to pay Amazon MSRP, even for a title I really, really, really want (this one for example). They often drop the price of these WAC titles to ~$18 within a week or so and that'd be OK but it's not yet happened and, with this news, likely to not happen anytime soon. Alternately, I was hoping to pick up one from DD during one of their coupon opportunities, but it's not yet listed there and based on that message won't be for some time... Dang it!
The same thing happened with The Unsinkable Molly Brown and Designing Woman: for the longest time, Amazon's price stubbornly remained at $21.99. As much as I wanted them, I waited and finally got the price I wanted to pay.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s situations like this one when I utilize my Amazon Bonus Points or Gift Cards that I accumulated to alleviate such MSRP issues for my all-time favorite films like “The Thing From Another World”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks