THE THING 20th Anniversary - Give Up the Love for this CLASSIC!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan_E, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

John Carpenter's THE THING has turned 20 years old and hasn't lost any of it's wickedness in my book. What is your favorite scene/line? Mine is the line King Kurt says just before throwing the dynamite. I think you know it. [​IMG]

2. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    The headcrawler scene - You gotta be f***ing kidding!

&

MacReady losing at chess to a very outdated looking PC - You cheatin' bitch!

This is a great movie and one of the few I bought on VHS before finding out about the wonderful world of DVD.

Great cast, great SFX - for the most part, and a kickass soundtrack!

My alltime favourite Carpenter movie.

3. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

This is my all time favorite sci-fi/horror film. (Yes, better than Alien.) Easily my favorite John Carpenter film too.

Just an all around incredible film; great performances, wonderful f/x that haven't been dated a day in my eyes, one of the scariest monsters of all time. The claustrophobia created is what makes it so tense. Even after seeing it 20+ times it still manages to scare me. I love introducing this film to people.

4. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

I love this movie -- Carpenter's best, in my opinion. I think I'll pop in the DVD tonight to celebrate. It's been too long since I last watched it.

5. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I saw it it's first day of release and went back again the next day with friends to see the popcorn fly! Can you imagine Carpenter trying to get away with that ending today? And it would probably star Freddie Prinze Jr. as MacCready and Lillard as Childs!

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I love The Thing (and have to pick the headcrawler scene as a favorite). The only portions that haven't aged well are the computer displays, but that's common to all movies of the time. Otherwise, it's perfect.

Too bad Carpenter can't create movies like this any more.

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This is, by far, my favorite Carpenter film, and was criminally underrated and under-seen back when it came out (one of the big reasons being Universal's piss-poor marketing of the film, the poster for the film is an eye-sore). I also love the orignal, which takes a different approach to the material. I consider both films to be sci-fi/horror classics, I just wish Warner would release the original on DVD already, especially since it's been restored.

8. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Brilliant movie!
    While I still hold a special place for Alien, The Thing is definitely up there (and they didn't use a guy in a suit!) [​IMG]
    The headcrawler scene is very good, and I just love the wolf-dog.
    Of course, as Julie mentioned, there are the computers, but hey, so what... [​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

My favorite Carpenter film. The direction is especially strong for this film. One of my favorite moments that I always mention is that white dissolve when they tell MacCready that they need to take the chopper up. I think it's Kurt's best effort too to be honest. Halloween and NY are both great films, but Thing was just a notch higher IMO.

The film is truly an SF masterpiece working on a number of levels. You have the basic shock/horror, the SF concept from the original film (tradped with hostile alien lifeform), the doppleganger SF in the vein of Body Snatchers, the paranoia of the men due to that point, etc.

I mean questions of group responsibility morals versus self-preservation come into play - just the idea of killing themselves to ensure the safety of the world for example.

And I like the original, it's a solid film, but it amazes me how much JC not only modernized the film, but also EXPANDED on the ideas from the orignal. Usually we get a dumbing down and simplification, often focusing on the wrong aspects of what made the original great (see Rollerball as an example). JC took the BEST parts of The Thing and then went further with them instead.

The film is HIGHLY underrated, I guess due to the genre and director.

10. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Seth Paxton wrote:

11. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

The sheer, unsentimental grimness of this film, combined with gruesome creature FX that haven't been bested since, IMO, make this a favorite. The latent homoerotic subtext also makes for some interesting late night stoner discussion between mouthfuls of chips (if you can stand to eat while you watch).

Does anybody else love that short scene where Wilford Brimley digs around in the guts of the Thing's corpse, and reveals that purple...whatever it is? I've always puzzled over the purpose of that scene.

The DVD is tres cool as well. I particularly enjoy the commentary track, even though Carpenter spends too much of it narrating the action. Nevertheless, the rapport between him and K.R. is entertaining enough (as are K.R.'s bursts of laughter every time something gory happens).

Rob Bottin was what, 21, when he did those FX? Wow.

--Jefferson Morris

12. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Anamorphic, please Universal!

"Hey Sweden!"

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    My favorite line is when Mac pours his scotch into the CPU while playing chess, "Cheatin' bitch."

This DVD also has one of the best commentary tracks I've ever heard.

Rob

14. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

15. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Love the film, love the DVD and I love the soundtrack. I wish it was available for purchase. [​IMG]

16. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Errrrrgh you guys are tempting me into buying the non-anamorphic DVD. That DVD is so awesome EXCEPT for that part of it...this is one of the few films that truly creeps me out, and it's so well done, but I hate to buy non-anamorphic [​IMG].

17. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

THE THING is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, and is tied with PRINCE OF DARKNESS for my favorite Carpenter film. It is simply a masterpiece, and while I love ALIEN, I must say that THE THING blows it away. Every single character in this film is extremely likeable and I didn't want any of them to die. Also, the paranoia is very intense, and is another big factor in the greatness of this film.

As for the special effects, I can honestly say that I think they are easily some of the best effects ever created! The aliens are so hideous and realistic that they are simply incredible to watch, and the sound effects that they used for the aliens' cries/roars are spine tingling and very effective.

This film is a masterpiece in every sense of the word, and I pity anyone who hasn't seen it.

18. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Love this film. Always creeps back into my consciousness...cannot believe it's been 20 years.

Loved every single bloody drop of this film. And, yeah, why...why hasn't it received the attention it deserves, now or then?

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    My favorite Carpenter film too. Love the atmosphere, the actors were perfect, the thing is... great I love the thing, we never find out what it really looks like though do we? Part dog, part man, part thingy.
    And all it wanted to do was phone home, poor thing (oops wrong film).
    Love the film, but I also love the 1951 original which I once saw on a big screen at a SF festival in the 70's, both are fantastic SF classics.[​IMG]
    ps. yep the commentary with Carpenter and Russell is great fun, Russell was really laughing his ass off and you can hear them drinking while watching the thing.[​IMG]
    Garry: I know you men have been through a lot, but if it's all the same to you,
    I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter
    TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!!

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Damn! Is it 20 years already?

My favourite scene is the blood test.