International THE THING (1982) coming from Arrow!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just got my steelbook of Arrows, The Thing, it came early as I was not expecting it till next week, I also ordered the full on collectors edition since I love this flick.

Currently doing work on the home cinema room, putting black Devore velvet around the screen and side walls, floor and ceiling and getting some masking made also using the velvet so I can mask scope movies and 1.37:1 films, it really makes a difference.

I am also moving stuff around in the room, make it better and getting some new recliner chairs in to have comfort, hopefully ready within the next few weeks.

I have Suspiria on order, really looking forward to that, although when they say they have the original magnetic tracks I do wonder if the high frequencies will be missing, on this version of The Thing, on Suspiria too just as they were missing on The Sound of Music.

Reactions: SAhmed

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
B2AA1BC2-50B3-4549-995F-341CF7979299.jpeg 4356C5B9-8170-4548-88AA-1036892B2CC2.jpeg

The front and back of the lovely steelbook I received, I know some say the case does not matter but you want to keep your collection safe and compared to some of the flimsy cases used nowadays the steelbook does just that. I think you can click them for a larger image. ( or not )

Shame about the font used for the title, it’s amazing Arrow got that wrong, so now I have this steelbook, a collectors edition coming, the Shout edition and an old HD-DVD edition that David Mackenzie helped me get to Blu Ray, that guys great at doing quality encodes, his brother does good work too.

I got an email saying my limited edition collectors version has shipped too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAhmed

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Is there any difference at all in the video content between the three Arrow releases? More extras, etc?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is there any difference at all in the video content between the three Arrow releases? More extras, etc?
I do not think so, the additional content on the collectors is not video related but I will know for sure when I receive it, I may end up selling the collectors edition and keeping the steelbook as it is very nice.

The November release is identical to the steelbook.

Reactions: Peter Apruzzese

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
From Amazon UK, for what it's worth...

BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:

• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
  • Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
  • 1982: One Amazing Summer an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape archive documentary on the background and production of the film
  • Vintage Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Behind-the-scenes
  • Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
  • Still Galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pulli

STEELBOOK LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
  • Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
  • 1982: One Amazing Summer an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
  • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape archive documentary on the background and production of the film
  • Vintage Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Behind-the-Scenes
  • Still Galleries

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
  • Vintage Featurettes
  • Outtakes
  • Behind-the-Scenes
  • Still Galleries
  • Poster
  • Lobby Cards
  • Book containing new writing on the film

Reactions: Peter Apruzzese

GregK

Screenwriter
Someone else can reconfirm, but am pretty sure the audio is the same as Shout's release:

5.1 remix / 4.1 70mm mix / 2.0 35mm Lt-Rt Dolby Surround mix

Mark Booth

Premium
I prefer the Universal Blu-ray's color timing in most of the shared screenshots, but not all of them. Many of the new Arrow Blu-ray's screenshots look far too blue. Conversely, some of the Universal Blu-ray's shots look too red. I think the Shout Factory screenshots are a distant 3rd place.

I own 'The Thing' on HD DVD and I've never watched it. I've never seen the film at all. We are hosting a movie night on October 29 (The Zookeeper's Wife' and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'), perhaps I should add a third feature and show 'The Thing'. :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Premium
Here's some screenshot comparisons for the Arrow version vs. the Shout version:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/121221/picture:5

The Shout version has definitely been heavily sharpened and I don't care for its color timing.

Maybe someone will do a similar thing between the Universal release and the Arrow version. One thing is for sure, you can see film defects in the Shout version that are missing from the Arrow version. I suspect the Universal one will have the same film defects as the Shout version.

Mark

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Someone else can reconfirm, but am pretty sure the audio is the same as Shout's release:

5.1 remix / 4.1 70mm mix / 2.0 35mm Lt-Rt Dolby Surround mix
The info on Arrow's site is wrong.

2.0 stereo mix - 2.0 Stereo LPCM
original Dolby 6-Track Dolby Stero mix - 4.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
5.1 Mix - 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I think they both look good. I'd be happy with either. If I decide to buy this film, I'll probably buy whatever one is cheapest.

Mark Booth

Premium
For those who can play European discs, take a look at this excellent review/comparison:
https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/content/84805/the-thing-limited-edition/

Edit: actually, everybody can take a look at it since it also includes the Universal and the Shout one
in the comparisons.
That review praises the HD DVD version compared to the original Universal Blu-ray. Maybe I should watch my HD DVD version and that will be enough to keep me happy? I checked the disc and don't see any sign of disc rot.

Mark

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Stuart Cohen, co-producer of The Thing, wanted to see this so much he went out and bought himself a new blu-ray player!
Some snippets from another forum...

Stuart Cohen:
"Arrows disc arrived several days ago. Been breaking in my spiffy new Sony S3700 region free player ( Thanks, David M ). A few initial thoughts :

The Arrow is faithful to our original intent. Forget about the screencaps - it is in motion that this transfer really shines, rendering for the first time a true sense of depth to the image, which is naturally sharp - the more involving experience. I'll have more to say when I get some time, but for now :

Superb work on your part and everyone else involved. A shame that something I might consider definitive can't, with scant exception, be seen by an American audience..."

Question: "What say you about the opening titles though? Too bright or just right?"

Stuart Cohen:
"Looked about right to me, but I'm going to break the player in for another 75 hours or so and take another look at things. I remember Universal Title throwing a fit about inserting the titles into Peter Kurans work, forcing Peter to shoot them himself and deliver to the lab the entire opening sequence as one long piece of film...

The color palette here is also exceptional - the slight "thinness " detected is accurate, a reflection of our intention to slightly denude the film of color in order to allow Robs stuff to explode in all its Technicolor glory. In the exteriors there subtle gradations in color from blue to white that have been lost before..."

Question: "Was the finale meant to feature orange lighting extensively? We've got plenty of the behind-the-scenes photos of the set on the disc and across the internet that are absolutely aglow with orange and yet the Shout Factory release seems to grade most of that orange out of the finale."

Stuart Cohen:
"Arrow is accurate on the orange. Shout looks like a mistake...

Always surprised this was a single disc. Although I've already acknowledged David Ms superb work I'm wondering what he could have done with more room..."

David Mackenzie (who did the encoding and authoring for the Arrow version):
"Thanks for the compliment! More room would have meant nothing for this film. The average level of quantization is extremely low. Some of the bonus features might have looked a tiny bit better, but nothing drastic.
[re break in of player] Won’t make any difference, since this is a digital AV format."

Reactions: FoxyMulder

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anupamtdumu