What's new

International THE THING (1982) coming from Arrow! (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
LOL

It's weird. I've changed a lot since the first days of DVD. I couldn't get enough, I had to buy every movie I "loved" on DVD, usually the day they were released I was rushing to Best Buy to make sure I got a copy. That lasted for several years. Soon after the dust cleared I realized that "Hey, I haven't even unwrapped some of these movies and it's been a year since I bought it!!" or I maybe watched a disc one time and it got packed on a shelf never to be seen again.

That's when I realized collecting movies just because I "like" them was a huge waste of my money and time (and space) so I pretty much quit doing that. I liked having more money in my pocket. :) Then we had our first kiddo, and there was REALLY no time to sit and enjoy my former pride and joy "home theater". So when the need arose to escape into a movie, I just rented it and guess what, I was cool with it. Plus I noticed that most movies I "loved" didn't hold up too well over time and seeing it again was sort of blah. Not always, there are still some movies I will watch multiple times (Big Lebowski) and enjoy thoroughly.

As we evolved into Blu Ray, I pretty much left the "gotta own this one!" world behind for you diehard collectors, oh I may get the bug once a year to buy something to watch with my 8 year old (Avengers stuff mainly) but again, we thinking back, they are sitting around in a bin somewhere and haven't been seen since release date, and there is little desire to do so.

So when I say I MAY grab a movie I liked from my past for $5, it doesn't mean I now "dislike" the movie suddenly, no, it just means I don't feel like paying a premium for a movie I liked 30+ years ago that may or may not hold up well after re-watching it all these years later.

I know diehard enthusiasts like we find around here rarely understand things like this, but it's how I feel having outgrown the "must have" world of movie collecting/watching.And this whole "upgrade to get those extra pixels! (hello 4K etc)" mentality is so off my radar, it's almost a sickness for some.

Note that I still have a nice 6.1 set up with my 55" TV and it looks, sounds great, but today it's mainly used to watch kids TV shows and on some occasions, we stream movies from Netflix, Google Play etc. and ya know what, we are quite content with it being this way.

Life moves on. Many of you will come to that realization some day soon I'm sure. Mark my words, all this "collecting": of every movie (multiple copies of same movie at times) will end and you will wonder why you blew $1000....$2000....$5000+ on these movies and equipment.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
LOL

It's weird. I've changed a lot since the first days of DVD. I couldn't get enough, I had to buy every movie I "loved" on DVD, usually the day they were released I was rushing to Best Buy to make sure I got a copy. That lasted for several years. Soon after the dust cleared I realized that "Hey, I haven't even unwrapped some of these movies and it's been a year since I bought it!!" or I maybe watched a disc one time and it got packed on a shelf never to be seen again.

That's when I realized collecting movies just because I "like" them was a huge waste of my money and time (and space) so I pretty much quit doing that. I liked having more money in my pocket. :) Then we had our first kiddo, and there was REALLY no time to sit and enjoy my former pride and joy "home theater". So when the need arose to escape into a movie, I just rented it and guess what, I was cool with it. Plus I noticed that most movies I "loved" didn't hold up too well over time and seeing it again was sort of blah. Not always, there are still some movies I will watch multiple times (Big Lebowski) and enjoy thoroughly.

As we evolved into Blu Ray, I pretty much left the "gotta own this one!" world behind for you diehard collectors, oh I may get the bug once a year to buy something to watch with my 8 year old (Avengers stuff mainly) but again, we thinking back, they are sitting around in a bin somewhere and haven't been seen since release date, and there is little desire to do so.

So when I say I MAY grab a movie I liked from my past for $5, it doesn't mean I now "dislike" the movie suddenly, no, it just means I don't feel like paying a premium for a movie I liked 30+ years ago that may or may not hold up well after re-watching it all these years later.

I know diehard enthusiasts like we find around here rarely understand things like this, but it's how I feel having outgrown the "must have" world of movie collecting/watching.And this whole "upgrade to get those extra pixels! (hello 4K etc)" mentality is so off my radar, it's almost a sickness for some.

Note that I still have a nice 6.1 set up with my 55" TV and it looks, sounds great, but today it's mainly used to watch kids TV shows and on some occasions, we stream movies from Netflix, Google Play etc. and ya know what, we are quite content with it being this way.

Life moves on. Many of you will come to that realization some day soon I'm sure. Mark my words, all this "collecting": of every movie (multiple copies of same movie at times) will end and you will wonder why you blew $1000....$2000....$5000+ on these movies and equipment.
I find your reasoning unassailable. Myself, I've never been a "completist". It always struck me as funny when someone would say they are one, so they have to buy the latest edition of a movie, even if the transfer sucks or it's just a repeat. It's been a while since I've read that someone is a "completist."

I do believe that a 4K TV provides extra value warranting an upgrade, but it's a personal decision for each one of us.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Well this is potentially good news. I did place an order for this release sometime ago but if it's up to the quality that it promises then damn I feel a 4K UHD purchase coming on when it happens :rolling-smiley:

This, "Blade Runner" and "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" are probably the ones that I have bought the most versions of :)

Regards

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The OOP steelbook and limited edition of this are briefly online for order at zavvi!!!
Act fast!
I cancelled my amazon order and got the steelbook from zavvi because they ship earlier, and I got it for 10 euros less!!! :dancing-banana-04:

edit: Both sold out now. Those went fast!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Arrow’s release is not for US. It’s UK region. And it has not been restored.

No need for restoration.

Color? Yes.

Cleanup? Yes

Expensive? Yes.

Gorgeous? Certainly!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Robert was talking about the cost of the work they've done for this release, not the cost of the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks