International THE THING (1982) coming from Arrow!

Konstantinos

Screenwriter
Real Name
Konstantinos
So excited for this announcement that has just been made (and I'm glad I waited), since Arrow is usually most competent in the quality of their releases!
https://www.facebook.com/ArrowVideo/posts/1434695309897792:0

***50,000 LIKES SURPRISE TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT!***

The Thing is coming to Arrow Video!

That's right folks, John Carpenter's 80's classic will be joining the Arrow Video line later this year! We are still in the early stages of this release so can't share any specific info in relation to extras just yet but do make sure to tuned as we have some exciting things planned!

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Wasn't a new remaster just released by Shout a few months back?
In October..appears to be sold out...NM..DELUXE is sold out.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/film-horror/the-thing-collector-s-edition

• DISC ONE:
    • NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    • NEW 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    • NEW Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
    • Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
    • Teaser Trailer (1 minute)
    • Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German) (5 minutes)
    • TV Spots (1 minute)
    • Radio Spots (2 minutes)
    • Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards) (15 minutes)
    DISC TWO:
    • NEW Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris (28 minutes)
    • NEW The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis (51 minutes)
    • NEW Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay (11 minutes)
    • NEW Behind The Chameleon: The Sights Of THE THING – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle (25 minutes)
    • NEW Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth (15 minutes)
    • NEW Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster (16 minutes)
    • NEW Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of THE THING – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
    • NEW The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery (12 minutes)
    • John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of THE THING Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock Plus Members Of The Cast And Crew (80 minutes – SD)
    • Network TV Broadcast Version Of THE THING (92 minutes – SD)
    • Outtakes (5 minutes – SD)
    • Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (13 minutes – SD)
    • Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of THE THING (14 minutes – SD)
    • Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (19 minutes – SD)
    • Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (2 minutes – SD)
    • Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (54 minutes – SD)

Konstantinos

Screenwriter
Real Name
Konstantinos
Wasn't a new remaster just released by Shout a few months back?
Yes, and that's why I said I'm glad I waited (...and didn't buy the Shout one).
That one was a 2k scan of an IP.
Hoping for this to be a 4K scan of the negative!

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
The release from Shout was pretty good and Arrow do a great job typically but especially with their special editions so I'll be interested to see what they do here.

Regards,

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
I don't believe that it will be a 4K scan but still interested too see what Arrow do. Have to admit that there is "fatigue" even though I love this film!

Regards,

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
We'll see, but the existing Shout! transfer is great IMO. I don't see how it can be majorly improved upon.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Will this be followed by Twilight Time's release of the Thing and then Kinos and then Criterions :) Because you never can have enough versions of some of these horror movies. I guess as long as its in a different box with a new extra feature or two people will rebuy it. The horror market does dominate catalog titles on Blu Ray but I would rather see new stuff released or something in dire need of a new restoration rereleased.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I really like this movie, holds up fairly well (other than the SFX) ..if this version was in the $5-10 bin at Target/WM, I'd actually consider picking it up.

Konstantinos

Screenwriter
Real Name
Konstantinos
Will this be followed by Twilight Time's release of the Thing and then Kinos and then Criterions :) Because you never can have enough versions of some of these horror movies. I guess as long as its in a different box with a new extra feature or two people will rebuy it. The horror market does dominate catalog titles on Blu Ray but I would rather see new stuff released or something in dire need of a new restoration rereleased.
I'm with you about the horror market dominating the catalog titles on Bluray but really here, the Shout version is Region A locked and there are thousands of people that are Region B locked and can't watch this.
So, the Arrow is for them (or those that are region free and prefer the Arrow quality too).

I see constantly posts of people thinking that the US bluray market is the ONLY market in the world when:
- they are not aware of Region Free blurays of films that aren't released in USA
- Region B versions of Region A locked Blurays are announced .

it is not.

Thank heavens there are duplicates in the non-USA market of films that have been released on Bluray in USA, otherwise we would be stuck eg. with the less competently encoded Criterion Thief (in comparison to Arrow's) and wouldn't have the original theatrical version too with the original colors (despite the fact that some people still want to insist that the Criterion is the definite version and try to degrade the Arrow version as they did with the wonderful Arrow's Decalogue)!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Adkins

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I never even bought the Shout release of The Thing, the first release was good enough for me after previously owning it on VHS, Laserdisc and DVD. But I get what your saying if you want the Super edition and you are not region A. It just gets a little tiresome seeing the same titles announced over and over.

Konstantinos

Screenwriter
Real Name
Konstantinos
It just gets a little tiresome seeing the same titles announced over and over.
yes, I know.
I'm guilty too of being frustrated when I see eg. a title in Europe that has been released in USA already or vice versa, since I don't have a problem with regions.
But I was especially excited about this specific one, because from previous releases I trust the quality of Arrow very much.
That's why I still hadn't bought The Thing and also haven't bought Carrie and Escape from New York in case it comes from them also.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I really like this movie, holds up fairly well (other than the SFX) ..if this version was in the $5-10 bin at Target/WM, I'd actually consider picking it up.

WHHAAAAHHHHH?!

"Fairly well?" Very few horror films from that era stand up as well as "The Thing" and (most of) the effects still look top notch (certainly better than the over CGIed prequel from a few years back)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I remember thinking the rubber dogs looked cheesy when it first came out. The thing I like about this movie is the production design, not the effects.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Let's see, the SFX don't hold up, it would need to be in the $5-10 bin for you to buy it, but you really like the movie. Got a little split personality about this flick? The bargain bin would make sense if you already own the movie on blu, perhaps you do. I really like this movie, but I've bought it twice now and that's enough. Maybe I bought it three times if I owned a DVD, but I don't remember.

I know you're not the only one who thinks the SFX are dated, but I find them quite effective and very imaginative. They still work (for me).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13