What's new

The Thing – 16x9 Enhanced? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I’ve read reports that some R1 copies of John Carpenter’s The Thing are 16x9 enhanced even if it’s not mentioned on the box... I know that my copy is not.

My question is the following: If these reports are true, is there a way to spot this from the packaging?

Thanks for your help.
lpr

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Oh, no! I wish it were true, but it's hooey.

I'd love to see Universal create a new 2 disc edition with a new transfer, all the deleted scenes (in widescreen, of course), DTS etc, but... who knows.

2003 should be a good year for vintage Universal titles.

Gordy

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The situation is reversed, I think. I remember hearing reports of some packaging that indicated a 16x9 transfer, but it was the same old non-anamorphic version on the disc.

-Dave

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing reports of some packaging that indicated a 16x9 transfer, but it was the same old non-anamorphic version on the disc.
I have heard reports about this, as well. Pretty odd, but this is Universal we are talking about, so it doesn't surprise me.

Scott Varney

Agent
If I remember correctly, the free copies of the movie that some retailers were giving away with the PC/XBox game were marked as 16:9 but were the same discs as released in the Collector's Edition.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The situation is reversed, I think. I remember hearing reports of some packaging that indicated a 16x9 transfer, but it was the same old non-anamorphic version on the disc.
Exactly.
The only reason I don't own this yet is because it's not anamorphic. :frowning:

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
The disks given away as promos for the game were marked 16:9, but are the same as the original disk, no 16:9.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
for what it's worth, it's not a bad transfer. doesn't look too shabby scaled to 16:9 on my tv.

that being said it's one of many titles (The Game, Abyss, etc) that are considered "really good" non-16:9 titles that I fear will never get the 16:9 treatment they deserve.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have to agree with Sean. I have this movie and the picture quality is quite good. I picked it up for $9.99 and am quite pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks