The Thin Red Line On DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Michael Pakula, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

Im looking for The Thin Red Line on DVD right now
    but I can't seem to find the DTS version. Has
    it gone Out Of Print?.

-Mike

2. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Michael-
    The "Fox War Classics" edition of TTRL is the exact same disc as the DTS versions and is pretty easy to come by. I have that one and the DTS track is terrific.
    - Guy

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Guy,

what version is that? I thought only only in-print was the new Lions Gate which is 5.1 DD (16x9 WS) that just came out?

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Here's the disc Guy is talking about...

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...00&promotion=y

DDD has it listed as The Thin Red Line (DTS) ... but under audio it lists Dolby Digital 5.1. This is incorrect...it is the DTS version. I was just watching it this morning.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

The Fox War Classics one has the DTS track and is currently the only R1 version in print. However there was another DTS DVD, but the only difference was the absence of the Fox War Classics label on the packaging. Both discs are exactly the same, I believe.

The first release had a DD 5.1 and the Melanesian songs, but is out of print.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Yep, the one with the banner "Fox War Classics" has DTS and is still available in the Ontario area.

Futureshop has them in the "bargain bin" at $11.99 CAD, which is quite amazing for a masterpiece with a fantastic treatment on DVD.

At that price I was tempted to purchase another copy just because it's such a bargain.

7. Brian Cal

Brian Cal Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of upgrading to the DTS from my old DD version, but I was under the impression that the "Fox War Classics" version did not contain the full bitrate 1509kbps DTS track. Is the full bitrate DTS version still available, and how do I know I'm getting the right one?

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

There is no half bit-rate version of The Thin Red Line. Both the original DTS releases, and the more recent "Fox War Classics" release contain full bit-rate tracks.

9. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Other than the normal DTS is awesome talk, is there a noticeable difference between the old DD on the non-anamorphic disc and the DTS on the Fox War Classics banner? This one doesn't get a lot of play in my collection so I want to make sure it's worth my while to upgrade before I do.

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

11. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Jeff-

TTRL is one of my all-time favorite movies so an upgrade when I finally got my DTS-equipped receiver was a no-brainer. And I do think having jumped between the two soundtracks on a recent viewing that the DTS is a bit cleaner sounding. However the DD track is still excellent and since you don't seem to be quite the superfan that I am, you'll probably be happy sticking with the original release (which I actually held on to for the sake of completism as the new release doesn't have those cool Melanesian songs).

As Marc points out the video transfer is identical on all three versions.

- Guy

12. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

This movie is easily a top 5 for me. It is one of the most powerfull films in the last couple decades. I saw Saving Private Ryan and was really blown away by it. That was until I saw TTRL. Ryan is paper thin in comparison. Granted they are two different films. But upon rewatching Ryan after seeing TTRL, it just struck me how much of a straight forward action film Ryan really is. The moral and philosophical questions raised in TTRL are much more to my liking. It should come as no surprise that the director was a philosophy professor. I also highly recommend his earlier films, Badlands and, to a lesser degree, Days of Heaven.

ShaunS

13. RichSL

RichSL Agent

Agree entirely with you ShaunS if ever i'd like to see a SE made of a current DVD release then this wouldn't be far from the very top.

14. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

I just picked up the DTS, Anamorphic, "Fox Films" version of Thin Red Line last week at Costco for $8.99. What a deal.

15. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Yeah, Circuit City is supposed to have it for $8.99 this week as well.