the thin red line (1998)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan V, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I have heard every possible comment that can be attributed to a film made about this one. What makes it so controversial? Should I buy it?
    (As a reference, my favorite films are Schindler's List, Fight Club, 2001, and most Michael Mann and Kubrick movies)

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Rent first of course.
    BTW, I loved it, but it is NOT for all tastes.
    Also, welcome to the forum.[​IMG]

3. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Yes, welcome. This film is pretty much deserving of all of those comments. There is nothing I can pick out from anyone's likes or dislikes to speak about TTRL one way or the other. Many films are narrative in nature. This one is more lyrical and contemplative.
    Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL cinematography (by John Toll) and very good score.
    Definitely recommend watching it...buying it, depends on how you feel about the film.
    Take care,
    Chuck

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Tino is correct; the film is great, but not for everyone.

Have you ever seen Malick's other films, DAYS OF HEAVEN and BADLANDS? If so, and you liked them, you will probably be fine with THE THIN RED LINE.

5. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

I hated this movie. It bored the hell out of me. As a matter of fact I believed we turned it off about 2/3 of the way through it.
    Different strokes. [​IMG]

6. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    And there you go.[​IMG]

7. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

It's pretty abstract so bear that in mind. If you interested in the historical situation concerning the marines island hopping through the Pacific during WWII it isn't going to give you much there. If things like story and character development are key to your enjoyment of a movie you probably won't like it. If you enjoy movies on a more artistic and/or philosophical level you may really enjoy it. Personally it wasn't my cup of tea.

8. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Chalk me up as a big fan of the film. As stated earlier, the both the cinematogaraphy and score are beautiful. I actually picked up the CD of the Melanesian Choirs' Chants from the movie the day after I saw it. Great Movie.

9. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I can't rent anything (long, complicated story), so I don't know about this one. What I care about most when watching movies is the script, cinematography, and underlying meaning (i.e. subtext). This sounds like it might be good. I've already heard the score, and yes, its great. If I see it for a cheap price, I may grab it. Thanks for all the replies.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nathan:

That you like the work of Stanley Kubrick "conditions" you for this excellent Malick film. Lovers of subtext should feel at home.

JB

11. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I am on the fence with it, IMO it's not as good or as bad as the reviews I have heard/read. I would not buy it but if comes on the Dish I will probably watch it(at least some of it anyway). It's just a little too arty for me.

12. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I enjoy a lot of Kubrick's work, and I loved Malick's "Badlands" but I just couldn't get into TTRL. I may have to give it a second chance soon...

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

14. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I was of the opinion that I didn't like the film when I first watched it, but I still couldn't remove the images from my mind - I watched it again and liked it a lot more. It's very easy to lose track of some of the characters in this film, but with repeat viewing it makes more sense. I have probably since watched it a total of 4 times and it's in my top 5 for war genre films (ahead of Saving Private Ryan which it is unfairly compared to constantly).

BTW - the DTS version of this film sports one of the most dynamic soundtracks I have ever heard, and as mentioned earlier the score from Hans Zimmer is spectacular. I also liked the fact that the Japanese were portrayed as ordinary men in this film, they didn't want to be there fighting any more than the Americans did. I find Malick's humanistic approach to war more appealing than Spielberg's or other directors simplistic good vs evil. Regards, Jim

Edited to correct name of composer - my apologies for this most grievous mistake!

15. Bill J

Bill J Producer

This film definitely gets mixed reviews. In my opinion, it was one of the best films of 1998, but as some people have already said, "it isn't for everyone."

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jim: I always enjoy reading posts such as yours. What an honest assessment of this marvelously successful achievement--a proverbial "works-on-several-levels-at-once" kind of film. And I agree with your comparisons. Thanks for the post. JB

17. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, a complete and utter waste of film stock.
    Of course, the person I went with absolutely loved it.
    So, there you go [​IMG]

18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I saw this film once and I was completely bored with it. I was sitting around just recently and having nothing to watch I put this movie on for a second go around. On the second viewing there are certain aspects of this movie that I found I started liking. The way the soundtrack is used to support some of the battle scenes....especially the mop up sequence.

I still found this film suffering from an abysmally slow pace and the message is confusing. It is extremely difficult to figure out what this director was trying to say.

I could not figure out the directors intent when he was juxtaposing all those nature shots against the actual war scenes. It seemed pointless and slowed the pacing to a crawl. Major characters stories were left undone. Nick Nolte, who I felt did the best acting job in this film, just disappeared 3/4 of the way through. Clooney's bit part was unconvincingly acted. They should have scrapped that scene and gotten another actor to do it.

It seems you are unable to rent. If you do not think you would mind watching a film that crawls at a snail's pace at times and has an unclear, confused message then you should pick it up. The strengths of this film is that it is lyrical in some of its depictions; it has excellent cinematography and the unusual score is used very effectively at key points in the film. This type of film is a view more than once film. Repeated viewings may actually cause this film to grow on a person.

19. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

20. Bill J

Bill J Producer