1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Terror: Infamy (AMC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Season 1 thread

The second season of AMC's period horror anthology series premieres tonight at 9/8c.

The year is 1941. The Empire of Japan has just delivered a devastating surprise attack on the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, in the territory of Hawaii. In response, the Roosevelt administration launches a massive internment campaign in the western half of the United States -- in the process stripping Americans of Japanese ancestry of their property and their economic prospects. Inside one camp, a series of bizarre deaths haunts the community of captive Japanese Americans. A young man embarks on a journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible.

The series stars Derek Mio as Chester Nakayama; Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space) as Yuko, a mysterious woman from Chester’s past; Cristina Rodlo (Miss Bala) as Luz, Chester’s secret girlfriend; Shingo Usami (Unbroken) as Henry Nakayama, Chester’s father; Naoko Mori (Everest) as Asako Nakayama, Chester’s mother; Miki Ishikawa (9-1-1) as Amy, a Nakayama family friend; and renowned actor, producer, author and activist George Takei (Star Trek) as Yamato-san, a community elder and former fishing captain.

The Terror: Infamy is an AMC Studios production produced by Scott Free, Emjag Productions and Entertainment 360. The show is co-created and executive produced by Alexander Woo and Max Borenstein, with Woo also serving as showrunner. Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert, Guymon Casady and Jordan Sheehan also serve as executive producers.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Are any of the people involved with the second season also involved with the first? The first season had a popular novel to work with. Is Infamy based on a novel?

Thanks for posting this, I did not know about this.

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

I loved the early episodes of season one, but thought it kind of flagged just a bit as the season wound down to its conclusion. I'll be giving season two a try and while I know very little, if anything, about the cultural elements that will inform season two's narrative I do hope that it maintains some degree of verisimilitude.

Of course, I won't be in a position to properly assess that concern, so it is more of a wish vs. a guideline for my enjoyment of season two.

- Walter.

4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I've recorded (to watch later zooming past commercials) and am onboard. I like the dichotomy of what the real "terror" is in this situation... the ghost... or the unjustified internment of Americans who look like the enemy.

5. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I loved the first season and thought it was actually better than the book. The second season premiere was great, and I think we can expect the same high quality television for the duration. I know very little about this chapter in history and will be looking forward to Monday nights for the next couple months.

6. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I've been enjoying this, though probably not as much as season 1. The injustice of the internment of Americans during this period has been painful to watch and so I judge this a success on those merits. The ghost story is good...so far. I am both entranced and repulsed by Yuko....

Sean Bryan likes this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I gave up on Episode 1. It was terrible compared to S1 sadly

8. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I can definitely understand that Sam. It does move slow...

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I never started. I have 7 episodes sitting in my DVR queue. It just didn't strike me as compelling viewing this time around for some reason. Maybe the "C" ratings on AV Club.

10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    The first season is a very hard act to follow, and IMO an additional handicap is that, from what I've read, Season 2 has nothing at all to do with Season 1.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Think of it as an anthology series with a different story and cast every season.

12. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Three episodes left of the season and things are really heating up. It’s a slow paced show for sure, but I remember the first season being similarly paced. If anyone is on the fence with the episodes sitting on their DVR, I’d highly recommend giving it a try.

Sean Bryan and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  13. Message #13 of 17 Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Which is kind of bizarre, as the first season was specifically based on a novel from which it took its title. Not sure why they decided to try and stretch it into some sort of anthology.

Doubt it sees a third season. The last several episodes have a 0.1 rating with less than 400k viewers (half or less than the first season's average).

14. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Seems to me, the only difference between this and American Horror Story is that AHS was planned as a seasonal anthology from the start and they use the same cast. The Terror, as far as I know, was created as a limited series. It was so successful they tried to catch lightening in a bottle again, with a different cast. They had a best selling novel for the first, I don’t know what the source material is for the second season.

I don’t think it’s a weird idea though. I haven’t watched it yet, so I’ll reserve judgement on the quality.

15. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I think I remember them talking anthology years ago before season one really got going. It took so long for AMC to get around to actually producing the series I thought it might not ever get made.

16. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Yeah, kind of funny since the title is what it is because it’s the actual name of the real ship. But there is a double meaning with the mythical monster/spirit thing, which I assume each season would have a new mythical monster/spirit. I for one am hoping for more seasons.

17. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Right, which is exactly why this whole idea seems so bizarre to me.