What's new

The Tenant...NOT Cancelled! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Just got an email from DVD Empire saying the release date has changed from 9/03 to TBA. Anybody heard a reason why?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I got the same email so i removed the tenant from my order because i had "don't look now" in there with it. Will definately re-order when there is a new date. I sure hope it doesn't wind up in indefinate limbo.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, that's a bummer. I was looking forward to The Tenant. Oh well, Paramount usually does a nice job with their discs, perhaps they need some extra time to do it right.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Perhaps Polanski has a window in his schedule he can devote to the disc. Even if it's just supervising/approving the transfer and sound mix or giving a video interview, I'd be very happy to wait a little while longer. Better to do it right than on time.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Dammit!

I was waiting for YEARS for this film to arrive on DVD - they better give us an audio commentary for that delay. (is this totally unrealistic?)

Let's hope Jon's right with his idea of Roman saying "I approve" and it therefore taking longer, but it still is a disappointment!

Seb

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see any big thread here at HTF on this, but over at DVDTalk saw this post from Martin Blythe: Here at HTF, there's a speculative thread here on Software with no actual answers, and over in Studio Feedback there is this note from Martin confirming that it's been pulled.
Since this was news to me, I thought I'd create a new thread to spread the word around a bit more. This sucks, but is understandable (from the DVDTalk thread, Martin indicates in general - without being specific to The Tenant - that there are sometimes post-announcement legal/clearance issues where "either people come out of the woodwork or we discover some information was incorrect or unprovable").
I'm sure all fans of this film hope the issues get resolved and we can see this back on the schedule soon!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Actually, Mr. Blythe answered my question regarding this film in the STUDIO FEEDBACK forum. He did say that clearance problems caused this cancellation, but that DON'T LOOK NOW was still coming out on the 3rd.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
How about for once a studio doing some work before they announce a title for release. find out if they have clearence instead of getting fans all excited then dissapointed. could it really be that hard ?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It's definately cancelled/delayed ... there should be a point after a title is announced where if you don't come forward with your complaint then tuff. If this was postponed do to the director wanting to get involved then i would have no problem with the delay. but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
there should be a point after a title is announced where if you don't come forward with your complaint then tuff.
That would take a major rewriting of some laws. Such a rewrite would look like "big business" was trying to screw the "little guy".
Picture this: You were creatively involved in a property that is owned by a studio called "Big Pictures USA". 20 years later, you're on the road, out in the field, for weeks at a time, eeking out a living making new films.
When you come back home, you catch up on everything, only to find out all of a sudden that Big Pictures USA is days away from streeting a home video that includes your property. A check of all correspondence since you were gone shows that no attempt to reach you or compensate you for the use of this property was made. You're darn sure you didn't previously sign away the rights to this property that B.P.U. is about to use.
As fast as your little fingers can dial, you get in touch with their legal dept. and ask to put a stop to the whole thing until this can be straightened out.
In these circumstances, what would you think if someone said, "Tough...it's too close to street date and you missed your chance."?
Think about it. Big Pictures USA may have had no intent to screw over this guy, and cheat him of rightful compensation. Things got lost in the shuffle. Should they say "tuff"? Should they elicit the wrath of consumers by just never including supplemental material, or cutting out portions of the main feature who's rights they haven't licensed yet?
The studio's in a no-win situation. Like someone said in the DVDTalk thread, perhaps the studios should never give out ANY info on pre-releases...we can just find out about them when they are on the shelves!!! :eek:

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Given that scenario the guy wouldn't be worried about compensation for a low budget movie from 2o years ago thats not going to amount to much anyway when he is still working making new movies. I understand your point, but they should just let the release go ahead and the guy can still get compensated if he is able to prove he should be. as in the end its gonna get released right ? whether its this year a couple months or a year down the road. I guess come december someone could pop up and stop back to the future from being released again. we better keep our fingers crossed on grease to. It would be nice no matter what it is movies, sports etc.. if people took the fan into consideration it's always about how much more money they can get. They just don't care about us thats the bottom line.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Re: "It would be nice no matter what it is movies, sports etc.. if people took the fan into consideration it's always about how much more money they can get. They just don't care about us thats the bottom line."

No offense Aryn but what arrogance! It's their product and if you are truly a fan then you're going to buy it next month or next year or whenever it comes out! They don't owe us anything. The "fans" are the ones who should be grateful that they are putting out product that we want. Artists who have contributed to the product deserve their slice of the pie and if it holds up the product, so be it.

I'm constantly amazed at some of the attitude of some posters who feel DVDs are a personal right like medical care and studios are obligated to give us what we demand. The chutzpah!

That doesn't mean we don't have the right to complain about inferior product, of course we do. But this "We are the fans and you better listen to us and give in to our demands" attitude is too much. The only message they understand is when the product gathers dust on the shelves because no one is buying. At least we agree that money is the bottom line.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
We will agree to disagree then. I respect everyone's opinion on this matter. And you are correct it is there product but your forgetting something that product is worthless unless we buy it. It is not arrogance at all on my part it is just my opinion. as with everything this will continue to happen time and time again because they know we will still buy the product. so whether its right or wrong it doesn't really matter so where i am wrong is even bringing this issue up at all. you wanna say you disagree with me fine but atleast have the decency to not stoop to putting label's on people. :)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Hopefully the delay is so Roman Polanski can get more involved. Or, maybe the film elements need a lot more work. Great, great movie.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Hopefully the delay is so Roman Polanski can get more involved. Or, maybe the film elements need a lot more work. Great, great movie.
Yeah as most could tell by now this is one of my all-time favorite movies. If those are the reasons for the delay most people including myself would approve of the delay to get things right the first time. But studios are always 1 step behind the 8-ball when it comes to letting public know the reason behind a delay. That is why for some people like myself the frustration set's in.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice no matter what it is movies, sports etc.. if people took the fan into consideration it's always about how much more money they can get.
Trust me, I'm sure Paramount wants to put this out. But if there's a legal issue, they probably have a court order to delay the release. Their hands are tied as it were. Even if they would lose a lot of sales by delaying the release, there's nothing they could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks