What's new

THE TENANT moving in 7/1 (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
After a year-long postponement Paramount has rescheduled Roman Polanksi's '76 film to July 1, according to DVDFile.com. The only feature will be the trailer, and the film will be 16:9-enhanced with mono sound.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I'm guessing the previously announced retrospective featurette has been dropped. Unless the DVD File report is incomplete.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Only a trailer, eh?

Gee Paramount, don't spoil us or anything. :rolleyes

Considering this film does have a trailer though, I'd say Paramount could put "Special Edition" on the packaging.

But anyway, I had this pre-ordered the first time around. This time around, I won't be.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I saw the announcement as well. Funny that Polanski just won an Oscar. :)

Oh well, I'll be picking up a copy...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The good news: I think the MSRP dropped from $24.95 to $19.95 between the original announcement and the current one. [I note that Columbia/Tristar's upcoming release of Beautiful Thing has only a trailer and lists for $29.95!]
The bad news: The "retrospective featurette" may have been a casualty of the legal problems that delayed this release almost a year.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
I'll still pick it up, regardless of whether it has a featurette or not. Though it's a shame that this Polanski film won't be getting any extras like his previous Paramount films have. It's also nice to see that the studio has changed it's pricing for catalogue titles.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great film - a must-have for those who appreciate unusual films.

Shame that the featurette will not be included.

Here's hoping that the film has been well transfered.

Gordy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Baahhh! ;) How about $5.99-shipped from deep discount dvd? I've never seen this, but figured for a little more than the rental price of a VHS I'd "take the chance." :)

When you can own films on DVD for a couple bucks more than the price of a VHS rental, that tells me the DVD revolution is as big as the home video revolution itself was.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
yeah, at first I thought it was an error, but a couple places give it a LIST price of NINE-NINETY NINE, not $19.99....! (Amazon,DVDPlanet)
Which means $5-6 at most e-tailers.

strange.

We will presume this is a gift from Paramount....

now, please, Columbia........TESS!

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
The Tenant is a great '70's pseudo-horror film. I've seen it several times over the years. The paranoia & isolation that Trelkovsky (Polanski) feels in the apartment is palatable & creepy. Several comments/observations re: this underrated film:

-I know that the apartment building that Trelkovsky moved to was quite old, but I was surprised that there was only one bathroom for the entire building. Haven't they ever heard of indoor plumbing?!
icon_wink.gif

-I've seen the film with the original French track & the English dubbed version. The French language track (w/English subtitles) was the better version. I don't understand French, but reading the English subtitles was fine, and the movie flowed a lot more naturally than the version with the characters speaking in badly dubbed English.

-Though the film wasn't a pure comedy, it did have some humorous scenes - one of the best was when Trelkovsky went over to a friend's apartment and the guy played his music so loud a neighbor complained - instead of being apologetic, the friend happily told the neighbor off...This was to supposedly convince Trelkovsky that he shouldn't be worried about complaining neighbors...Anyone who's ever lived in apartments can really relate to this scene
icon_wink.gif

-Another hilarious scene was when Trelkovsky was having a party at his apartment, and one drunk guest
spontaneously took a l$%# in his sink, in front of everyone - LOL. This was because there was only one toilet in the entire complex. What a nightmare - ha ha

On a more serious note, the film is really quite creepy:

I noticed that in the very beginning credits, through one of the apartment windows we see Simone Schuell?!, then the image changes and you see Trelkovsky - this foreshadows what will happen in the film.

The film seemed to suggest that Trelkovsky was either "possessed" by the dead spirit of Simone in the apartment, or that he just went crazy and thought he was becoming her.

There were also several questions I had re: the film:

-I could never figure out the scene when many of the other tenants were standing motionless in the bathroom. Why was this - were they members of some kind of cult?!

-I found this quite puzzling: At the very end of the film, you see a repeat of the scene when Trelkovsky & the young woman visit the bandaged Simone in the hospital bed, and she starts screaming uncontrollably - however, in this end scene it seems to imply that Trelkovsky was in the hospital bed, and he was screaming because he was seeing himself as the visitor?! Strange, but I guess that's why I like the film so much....

This great '70's film definitely needs to be on Blu, especially since I don't think the regular DVD is anamorphic. I can see The Criterion Collection picking this up (maybe).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks