The Ten Commandments & Gladiator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelPe, Mar 31, 2002.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Call me crazy, but after watching "The Ten Commandments" again, I couldn't help but notice how similar its story is to that of "Gladiator".
    "The prince who became a slave...
    The slave who became a shepherd...
    The shepherd who defied a dynasty."
    [​IMG]
    Just look at the main characters:
    The Ten CommandmentsGladiatorMosesMaximusRamesesCommodusSethiMarcus AureliusNefretiriLucillaJethroProximoJoshuaJuba
    There are the two brothers (sort of)... one is jealous of the other and wants to become the next pharaoh (emperor). The main character who was once a prince (general), becomes a slave and then works to win his freedom and that of his people (fellow gladiators & romans).
    Ok, maybe this Passover wine is making me drunk, but I'm sure that there are more similarities if you try to look really hard... Anyone? [​IMG]

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

wow, hard to believe that heston who is moses i think after watching the abc version is the head of the nra. they do not look similar in my opinion

3. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

4. Terrell

Terrell Producer

You can find similiarities in a lot of different films like that. Other than a few similarities, the films really aren't alike and cove entirely different stories and subjects. Not to mention they looks competely different, and are in different lands.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Check out The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964) which is even more similar to Gladiator, yes its basically the same story, Commodus was played by Christopher Plummer, the Emperor was played by Alec Guinness and Maximus was played by Stephen Boyd only he was called by the less macho sounding Livius.

6. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

What about the similarities between The Ten Commandments and Superman:
    Due to impending danger, a family places a baby boy into a small capsule-like ship, sending him to safety in another place. The boy is raised by the woman who finds him, as though he was her own. One day he learns his origin, and leaves home to fight a noble battle for truth, justice, etc. He is able to perform awesome feats that defy natural laws. Oh yeah, when he was a baby, he had some cloth in the ship with him. He later wore that same kind of cloth as his primary outfit. His arch enemy is a bald guy who wants to rule the world. I'm sure there's probably a lot more, this is off of the top of my head...

7. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

8. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Steven, I saw The Fall of the Roman Empire again last weekend and couldn't help that Gladiator is actually is a remake of it ! From the beginning with a battle till the end when Livius and Commodus duel with each other. So much for inspiration [​IMG]