The Ten Commandments Deserves a Special Edition .... Don't You Agree?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Von Pein, Sep 19, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Anybody else out there been yearning for a CE/SE of the 1956 epic, The Ten Commandments?
    The film cries out in the night for the deluxe DVD treatment!
    Along the same lines, what other films do you feel should get the SE treatment?

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

You damn right it does.[​IMG]

3. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I'd jump on an SE of The Ten Commandments. Is there a current DVD release, and what is it like?

4. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

The quality of the current dvd release is supposed to be ok, but given it's vintage it's unlikely to have been transferred from original Vistavision materials, which if done correctly could yield a magnificent image - a la North by Northwest. The aspect ratio could be matted to anything from 1.66-2:1, I would prefer the former in a a nice anamorphic transfer...

The soundtrack on the current release has been commented on as not being from the best sources possible, and apparantly the original stereo materials do exist, but have not been used to date...I remember this from a comment Joe Caps, made a while ago, he may like to clarify his further. So remixing these original stems could bring amazing results.

The combination of the two could create a fantastic release.

M

5. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I don't see anything wrong with the current anamorphic picture quality and DD 5.1 soundtrack of the current issue. It's a fantastic disc. I'd certainly buy a SE but I don't know what could go on it other than a newly produced documentary.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

7. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

I never said it N*NW was transferred from Vistavision elements, I said the 10 C's could look as fantastic as North By Northwest if it was...

M

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

9. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

So I gather we both agree that there should be a special edition, this technical nitpicking is rather silly, especially when we obviously have the same goal?

M

10. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I dunno, it's an OK movie and all but geeze, it'd sure be a lot better if they cut out all that religion and God stuff.... [​IMG]

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Since you asked...

Actually, there are any number of catalog titles from Paramount that I'd rather see released before double-dipping on a title whose current presentation is perfectly satisfactory ( audio issues aside. )

- Walter.

12. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

yeah, that'd be nice. but i'd much prefer Paramount spend their time and money on films that haven't been released on DVD yet, or maybe some of the films they released during their non-anamorphic period.
    Would anyone else love to finally see The Naked Prey on DVD?

13. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

I would love a special edition of this, it's always cool when they do special editions of the classic epics, even if those epics aren't always great (though 10C is)

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I'm content with the current DVD.
    What could a "Special Edition" offer? Most of the cast and crew have passed on so a commentary track or "making of" documentary seems unlikely and there was an excellent book several years ago about the making of Ten Commandments that had just about everything you ever wanted to know about the film (like DeMille orginally wanted Grace Kelly or Audrey Hepburn for the Anne Baxter role) and then some.
    Still, if I suppose the author of the book could do a commentary track. Surviving members include actors Charlton Heston (though recent health problems may preclude involvement), Yvonne DeCarlo, Debra Paget, Nina Foch and composer Elmer Bernstein.

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The Ten Commandments deserves it, but the current version was considered a revelation when it came out. ( [​IMG] )
    One of the best DVDs we had seen, visually. I remember the happy astonishment in our DVD world. And more astonishing because the film was relatively old.
    So, again: yes, a SE would be fine. But, frankly, I just can think of a few even higher priorities.
    Cees
    PS No, I am not, I repeat not in favour of a new, improved, CGI version of the Parting of the Waters and/or the Delivery of the Tables [​IMG].
    C.

16. Rain

Rain Producer

I tend to agree with Cees. I'd upgrade, but can think of a few things I'd rather see priority given to.
    Then again I'd probably replace my copy even if they just added English subs. On my crappy sound system, I can't understand a word that burning bush is saying. [​IMG]

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

18. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

I'm satisfied with the current release also. When I hear the word "epic", this is the movie I think of.

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    North By Northwest was indeed transferred from an 8 perf VistaVision interpositive for DVD.

Everything but the color was taken from the IP (it had faded to red) then the dye-transfer Technicolor print had its color overlaid above the VV image.

IMO...dye-transfer color, plus the sharpness and clarity of VistaVision make for a great image. It's a shame Technicolor never found a cheaper way to do dye-transfer for an 8 perf print.

As for The Ten Commandments...

There is the 1923 silent version (which has been restored by Paramount)...but Paramount should release it separately.

(The current DVD was mastered from a dye-transfer print, I think...the color is wonderful!)

20. Rain

Rain Producer