What's new

The Ten Commandments (1956) 4K UHD Coming from Paramount (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The concept wasn’t a bad one, since the desire was 70mm. Cropping, yes, and some optical work that wasn’t up to snuff.

But as an idea? Not bad.

Some of it looked pretty good, but other sections you could tell something was off. The 35mm was enlarged right into the framelines, with 2.40:1 scope plates I had to ride the framing in the last shot so we could see all of the onscreen text. Nerve-wracking.

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
I was working as a projectionist at the Cooper Cinerama in Denver CO. when it was re-released in 1989. The 70mm 2.20:1 aspect ratio made framing it properly a real chore. Since it was shot in Vistavision which was protected for and allowed a 2.0:1 35mm aspect ratio, it wasn't as bad as it might have been otherwise. As I remember, the cropping was most obvious during the titles. An additional complication was that the deeply curved Cinerama screen required the projector's aperture plate to be cut with concave top and bottom edges, which reduced the vertical area of the frame that made it to the screen in the center of the image.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I once owned a VHS of this movie, released in 1990 based on the copyright on the back of the box, and the picture looked cropped. I think Paramount might have used the 70mm print as the basis for the master.

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I am surprised they would put out a 4K disc version of The Ten Commandments since they just released that double feature of the silent and sound versions earlier this year, which I bought. I had given up hope of any more classic movies being released in 4K on physical disc!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
This is so weird, it was about a week ago that i requested this title in 4k on Paramount's Facebook site. In any case, as gorgeous as the blu-ray is, the 4k should be an absolute stunner, I predict it might win best 4k classic film of 2021. Now this is what really gets me excited about 4k.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I just got a 4k player and my first 4k disc. I knew that even before this was announced my next 4k disc would be this or Ben Hur. Up till now I've never had them in any format. In fact I've only seen them in their entirety in theaters. I'm hoping for MFL but I doubt that will happen. Ben Hur is a shoo-in.

Reactions: PMF

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ill be getting this one for sure, one of my favorites in the Biblical Genre :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
These examples have been posted previously, but here they are again.

First, open matte raw scan:

Ten - OCN - raw scan.jpg

Raw scan, color corrected:
Faded, Yellow blotches are damage to Y dye layer.

tencomm.0090.jpg

Restored image, with original Y dye layer dropped, and single protection master in it's place:

Ten---Restored.jpg

The new 4k, has the wherewithal to be a magnificent release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Just shows what a good job they did in placing the discs in a reproduction of the tablets in the first big box release on blu ray. Demille holding the blu ray set is the first thing I thought when I saw this picture.
1607968577544.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
And let’s not forget Moses Pray of “Paper Moon”.;)

murrayThompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Murray Thompson
Just shows what a good job they did in placing the discs in a reproduction of the tablets in the first big box release on blu ray. Demille holding the blu ray set is the first thing I thought when I saw this picture.
View attachment 83481
I have the big box numbered set but have one broken BD disc as they are easy to damage due to being impossible to remove from the disc locks on the case. I just wish they would refine the cases for BD to make this impossible to break the disc! I emailed Amazon but they wouldnt replace the disc. For such an expensive collection I think its poor.

• Agreed

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I have the big box numbered set but have one broken BD disc as they are easy to damage due to being impossible to remove from the disc locks on the case. I just wish they would refine the cases for BD to make this impossible to break the disc! I emailed Amazon but they wouldnt replace the disc. For such an expensive collection I think its poor.

Interesting that you mentioned the difficulty in removing the discs from the big box edition.
I bought the book release last spring which was affordable and had the usual disc holders.
The book is nicely illustrated too.

• Agreed

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The big box came in two iterations. The first thicker box was from Paramount. When Warner Bros took over distribution of many Paramount movies for a couple of years, they released a slimmer box set.

• Insightful

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks