What's new

The TAMI show is coming out... BUT-- (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sam Favate said:
Is the TNT DVD an official release? Somehow, I think it is not. I don't recall there being an official release, and I have been following news of these closely. (It's possible I missed it, but unlikely.) It's hardly the final word, but the TNT's Wikipedia page makes no mention of a DVD release, whereas the TAMI Show's page does. Also, I'm a big fan of Little Steven's Underground Garage (undergroundgarage.com), which over the years has dedicated shows to both TAMI and TNT, and again, no mention ever made of TNT on DVD. Both UG shows are essential listening, if you are a fan of the movies.

Also, the TAMI DVD came from our friends at Shout! Factory.

Underground Garage TNT Show special: http://undergroundgarage.com/shows-199-190/show-191-big-tnt-show.html

Underground Garage TAMI Show special: http://undergroundgarage.com/Shows-139-130/show-134-the-tami-show.html

As of 2009, TNT was not on DVD: http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/31/entertainment/et-bigpicture31
Hi Sam!

That explains a lot, in terms of the poor quality of T.A.M.I.'s sequel!

However, even in a contemporary review from just after its January 1966 premier, the continual din in the A.I.P. Feature is referenced: http://www.petulaclark.net/films/bigtnt.html

In my opinion, THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW deserves a proper release, NOT the half-baked PD like (I'm honestly unaware of its current copyright status?) effort that has seen light of day in recent years!

Yes, the Shout! Factory release of the T.A.M.I. SHOW is a fine effort, and in my opinion, they are to be commended for their part in finally getting this officially issued some 45 years after its initial Theatrical run!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I have the Jan and Dean "Command Performance" LP and have always loved it. This might be worth picking up since I love 60's music!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Ron1973 said:
I have the Jan and Dean "Command Performance" LP and have always loved it. This might be worth picking up since I love 60's music!
Hi Ron!

Thankfully, the T.A.M.I. SHOW DVD can still be had from Amazon at a very nice price: http://www.amazon.com/The-T-A-M-I-Show-Collectors-Edition/dp/B0030ATZIA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_21_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0QA65C05G2Y07BDDE5HH&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL320_SR228%2C320_

I may look into that Jan & Dean Command Performance recording, at some point!

Tony

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
For many decades, performances that were actually part of THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW have been mistaken for being a part of the T.A.M.I. SHOW! This has been primarily due to the many TV/Home video presentations that combine the incomplete versions of each (Not to mention T.A.M.I.'s usual first billing in these!); with the latter, due to legal issues, while to me, the former was probably due to the very sub-par (Especially the audio!) quality of its presentation!

In the interest of keeping it simple, I'll list only the T.A.M.I. SHOW performers, in alphabetical order:

The Barbarians

The Beach Boys

Chuck Berry

James Brown And His Famous Flames

Marvin Gaye (With The Blossoms On Backing Vocals)

Gerry And The Pacemakers

Lesley Gore

Jan And Dean
Billy J. Kramer And The Dakotas
Smokey Robinson And The Miracles
The Rolling Stones
The Supremes
The Wrecking Crew (House Band)

Any other names that appear in various T.A.M.I./T.N.T. SHOW presentations are from THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW, as none of the performers from either show appear in both, though non performing producer Phil Spector, does.

I hope this clears things up!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Keith Richards said that the biggest business mistake the Stones ever made was demanding top billing over James Brown on the T.A.M.I. Show. By the time the Stones show up, the audience is completely drained from a red hot JB performance. The show was over before they even hit the stage.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
How the sequencing of the final two acts came about has had differing versions through the decades.

According to Steve Binder's commentary, that the Rolling Stones followed James Brown was his idea, as he wanted the Stones onstage to start the final "Let's Get Together" song, in which all of the performers crowded the stage.

Insofar as the audience being completely drained from the epic James Brown performance, there was a 15 minute wait between his act and the Rolling Stones, so the audience did have a bit of time to recover. In any event, in my opinion, the Rolling Stones were still great, in their own right! If any of the acts had to follow James Brown, I think the right choice was made, regarding that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks