1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review The Tall Men Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Sep 22, 2019.

1. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Actually, I think the only proper recourse is to own and regularly watch both (along with BANDOLERO)

Jeff Flugel and Randy Korstick like this.
  2. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Because you didn't say that in your post? I understand what you were doing, but it was completely incorrect and I wanted to be sure that anyone ne reading it understood you did not have the disc. He even talks about all the blue in his whatever you call what he writes.

3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I would think that quoting the post linking to the screenshots would make it clear to everybody that I was commenting on them. Forum readers are usually quite familiar with the quote function....

4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Nice review! This is on my wishlist - never seen it before, have wanted to for a while, and Matt’s review has pushed it higher up my list.

Jeff Flugel and Matt Hough like this.
  5. Mark McSherry

Mark McSherry Stunt Coordinator

Mark McSherry
    My copy was due today but didn't make it. This is a bit off-topic, but the review mentioned the 'traditional elements found in a cattle drive western...' and the clichés.

A western published in 1973 by Clair Huffaker takes the cattle drive western and puts a bit different spin on it. In 1880, fifteen cowboys are tasked to take a herd of longhorns (350+) from Montana to Vladistock, Russia, then lead them 1000 miles into Siberia. Reaching the Russian port, they are met by sixteen Cossacks who are to act as bodyguards. For the cowboys, yes- but more importantly, for the cattle. Also replace hostile Indians with Tartar warriors. The novel is called 'The Cowboy and the Cossack.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's author, Clint Haffaker "...was a legendary western screenwriter and author. His screenplays include The Comancheros, Hellfighters, and War Wagon starring John Wayne, along with Flaming Star, Seven Ways from Sundown, Rio Conchos, and Posse from Hell. Huffaker also wrote for TV western series such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, The Virginian, and Rawhide, including eighteen episodes of Lawman. Many of his movies were based on his bestselling books. Huffaker was a cowboy, a champion boxer, a part-time smuggler, and a writer for Time, Inc. in New York. He served in the Navy in World War II, studied in Europe, and eventually returned to the US where he began his career as a freelance writer. He wrote short stories, screenplays, and novels at his home in Los Angeles, which was a gathering place for actors, stuntmen, directors, and writers who could regularly be found there shooting pool, playing poker, and exchanging tall tales."

Huffaker, Clair. The Cowboy and the Cossack (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries) (p. 362). AmazonEncore. Kindle Edition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's this from Paul Bishop's blog (http://www.paulbishopbooks.com/2019/09/the-cowboy-and-cossack.html)---

"With Huffaker's ability to get his novels not only bought by Hollywood, but to also get them produced and released, it is a mystery why The Cowboy and the Cossack (arguably his best and most popular novel) has never made it to the screen. At one time producer Lance Hool held the movie rights. He famously attempted to get the film made with Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson in the title roles, which would have been epic casting. Later, Albert R. Broccoli, the co-producer of the James Bond films, acquired the rights, but his efforts also stalled in development hell."

Anyway, it's available on Kindle for 99 cents. Just my two cents.