What's new

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I agree they are different films just as Warlock and Bandolero are different types of Western but the precedent was set in that thread to compare which is better which carried over here since all 3 are recent Twilight Time Western releases.
Actually, I think the only proper recourse is to own and regularly watch both (along with BANDOLERO)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
How can it be incorrect when I obviously commented on the caps that another member linked to and not the disc?

Because you didn't say that in your post? I understand what you were doing, but it was completely incorrect and I wanted to be sure that anyone ne reading it understood you did not have the disc. He even talks about all the blue in his whatever you call what he writes.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Because you didn't say that in your post? I understand what you were doing, but it was completely incorrect and I wanted to be sure that anyone ne reading it understood you did not have the disc. He even talks about all the blue in his whatever you call what he writes.

I would think that quoting the post linking to the screenshots would make it clear to everybody that I was commenting on them. Forum readers are usually quite familiar with the quote function....

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
My copy was due today but didn't make it. This is a bit off-topic, but the review mentioned the 'traditional elements found in a cattle drive western...' and the clichés.

A western published in 1973 by Clair Huffaker takes the cattle drive western and puts a bit different spin on it. In 1880, fifteen cowboys are tasked to take a herd of longhorns (350+) from Montana to Vladistock, Russia, then lead them 1000 miles into Siberia. Reaching the Russian port, they are met by sixteen Cossacks who are to act as bodyguards. For the cowboys, yes- but more importantly, for the cattle. Also replace hostile Indians with Tartar warriors. The novel is called 'The Cowboy and the Cossack.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's author, Clint Haffaker "...was a legendary western screenwriter and author. His screenplays include The Comancheros, Hellfighters, and War Wagon starring John Wayne, along with Flaming Star, Seven Ways from Sundown, Rio Conchos, and Posse from Hell. Huffaker also wrote for TV western series such as Bonanza, The Rifleman, The Virginian, and Rawhide, including eighteen episodes of Lawman. Many of his movies were based on his bestselling books. Huffaker was a cowboy, a champion boxer, a part-time smuggler, and a writer for Time, Inc. in New York. He served in the Navy in World War II, studied in Europe, and eventually returned to the US where he began his career as a freelance writer. He wrote short stories, screenplays, and novels at his home in Los Angeles, which was a gathering place for actors, stuntmen, directors, and writers who could regularly be found there shooting pool, playing poker, and exchanging tall tales."

Huffaker, Clair. The Cowboy and the Cossack (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries) (p. 362). AmazonEncore. Kindle Edition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's this from Paul Bishop's blog (http://www.paulbishopbooks.com/2019/09/the-cowboy-and-cossack.html)---

"With Huffaker's ability to get his novels not only bought by Hollywood, but to also get them produced and released, it is a mystery why The Cowboy and the Cossack (arguably his best and most popular novel) has never made it to the screen. At one time producer Lance Hool held the movie rights. He famously attempted to get the film made with Clint Eastwood and Charles Bronson in the title roles, which would have been epic casting. Later, Albert R. Broccoli, the co-producer of the James Bond films, acquired the rights, but his efforts also stalled in development hell."

Anyway, it's available on Kindle for 99 cents. Just my two cents.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Yes, cropped on the left and a tiny bit on the bottom also.

a%20the%20tall%20men%20TALL_MEN-8.jpg

960__02_tall_men_blu-ray___.jpg

Should those screencaps be reversed? I'm seeing more detail in her hair in the top one and that's supposed to be the DVD.

Same for the two below. The top image looks better to me and not faded.
tm1.jpg

tm2.jpg

HawksFord

Premium
Real Name
Maurice
I watched The Tall Men on the Twilight Time blu-ray last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable. As mentioned in the review, there's nothing groundbreaking here but that's okay. It's a well told cattle drive story, beautifully filmed in Cinemascope, and features top notch performers in Clark Gable and Robert Ryan (a personal favorite). A very good western which was just the thing my wife and I were looking to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks