The Swarm coming to dvd!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raymond Johnson, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Raymond Johnson

Raymond Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I've read at www.gorezone.net that Warner has this down for release sometime later this year & it will be the extended version!
    A PURE cheesy camp classic 'disaster' film. Does anyone here like the film if only in a guilty pleasure way?
    I've never seen the whole thing,but have got a ton of laughs out of it from what i did see. Be great to see it in widescreen finnaly.
    To bad MST3K never got ahold of it[​IMG]

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

YES
    I love killer bee movies. It was the reason that I got into movie collecting in the first place. The Swarm is the crown jewel of killer bee movies as well.
    [​IMG]

3. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I ran into this
    [​IMG]
    over at DavisDVD while I was updating my DVD list.
    I'll be sure to pick this one up [​IMG]
    Todd B

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The extended version was also what they did on LD, so I'm not surprised they'll go with it for DVD.

"The Swarm" is amusing just from a so-bad-its-good standpoint, but it demonstrates most clearly the difference between Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno to Swarm is that in the case of the former two, Irwin Allen allowed competent directors to handle the actors. Irwin was a great producer, but a terrible director.

5. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

Portions of this film were shot in one Houston tower, the building my Dad worked at. I actually got to watch them film some of it. I haven't seen it since its theatrical release, but to an 8 year old it seemed really cool. I'll definitely pick this one up.

6. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

7. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

A guilty pleasure of mine as well. Always liked Henry Fonda and Katherine Ross.

Another of mine is Meteor - again Henry Fonda and Natalie Wood, Sean Connery.

Now if we can only get The Final Countdown.

8. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

As a rule, I like any movie where animals and/or insects eat human beings.
    So this is good news to me!
    As a kid, I always had this one and The Bees (with John Saxon) confused. Looking forward to rediscovering The Swarm!
    Can Orca be far behind? [​IMG]

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I LOVED this bit...
    "He stayed at his post, when the trainees ran..."
    Oops, wait a sec... Wrong movie. That was James Doohan, NOT Slim Whitman!
    [​IMG] Dave

10. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

"They got my Mom and daaaaaad!!!!!!!!!!!"

11. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

Probably one of the worst movies ever made but I still have a strange fascination and affection for this film. Against my better judgement, I'll probably pick this up when its released:b

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Me too, if I can snag it for $10, done deal!
    [​IMG]
    I think my memory of my late father taking me to see this when I was a kid is better than the film itself!
    (sigh....)

13. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes, it's a deliciously awful film. Terrible, terrible script. I'm working on it at work tonight (video post production). It looks like the running time (if I figured it out right) is about 2 hrs 34 min., including the end credits. And the DVD will be 16x9 enhanced.

In spite of the hilariously bad script, I do have to say I was surprised by Henry Fonda's riveting performance. He was a damn good actor, wasn't he? The one point in the movie that really scared me, when he...

injects himself with the bee venom, then waits a full minute before injecting himself with the antivenom. His performance was so good he totally drew me into the scenes -- very, very scary. You really believe you're watching a guy dying before your eyes.

I think the only Henry Fonda movies I've ever seen are On Golden Pond and Grapes of Wrath, but after seeing him in this small role I'm definitely going to have to check out more of this fine actor's work.

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

For Fonda's best performance, pick up "Mister Roberts." Why he didn't even get nominated for that is beyond me.

15. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Godawful film that I watch on a regular basis... although what I watch is a 118-minute edit I produced on tape from the 156 -minute extended laser disc (yes, 58 minutes removed). I wanted to get rid of as much of the more embarrassing dialog and acting as possible, including most of Slim Pickens (who is shamefully bad here), much of Richard Widmark (painfully bad performance), all of the horrible Fred MacMurray-Olivia de Halliland romance, etc. I actually produced a much tighter (and very smoothly edited) film for myself! I think the movie has a few terrific moments, the best of them being the antidote sequence with Fonda, who is good throughout. I have always been pissed at Irwin Allen, as he ruined a truly suspenseful, science-based novel by Arthur Herzog (if you can find a copy, it's a fine read) and turned it into another dumbed-down miltary exercise, thinking all the extra action would draw audiences...Didn't work, and it was a travesty.