What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Superbit List (1 Viewer)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Maybe you disagree with me Rob about "The One" (it´s your choice of course), I just thought it would look better if no movie had "The" first in the title.

By the way, I´m pretty sure that "Les Miserable" is now OOP. And "Naked Fish" probably should go under "Questionable".

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Did Les Miserables ever make it out? I know it was announced but I thought it was canceled. I had it on pre-order and never did get it.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
-Last Action Hero (Jpn) is listed twice
-you don't list (JPN) by Gladiator but do in the OOP section

A lot of SBs on the list are now OOP. Almost all of the Aussie discs. Some UK retailers are listing a Godzilla as well as other early SBs as OOP too. Mummy Returns R2J is also OOP now.

The Italian SBs should be listed. They may not have an English DTS track but they are Superbits. Plus they are unique in that the discs are Purple. Very cool to see.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I don´t agree. First, I don´t think it´s a good idea to add the Italian Superbits since they are all dubbed to Italian. Because of that they are only interesting for Italian customers, if they are interested at all. I guess some Italians would prefer the movies to have the original language.

Second, the Italian Superbits are not unique, the French Superbits are also purple. Anyway, I don´t think the color is a reason to add them.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Despite the fact that CDJAPAN told me that "Taxi Driver" probably would be canceled for the future, they have now added this title to upcoming releases (22th June). So I guess you can add, again, this title to the list.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
And what's the deal with Chinese Superbits? I know that the Jurassic Park japanese discs are OOP, (my bad for not getting them earlier) but there's a few "Jurrassic Park Trilogy superbit" sets on Ebay from China? Are these for real or just boots??
Also there is a 2 disc version of Superbit Taxi Driver! With all these photos, etc...

:) d

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I plan on watching as soon as my PJ is repaired. Could be a couple more weeks. I could post screen shots if you have a couple of scenes in mind.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Another question...

When both an R1 US superbit and an R2 Japanese superbit exist for the same title, like DRACULA, SPIDERMAN etc... is the japanese SB any better? I know that the Japanese ALIEN Quadrilogy boxset was supposed to look better than the US version.

Thanx! d

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
No idea, but I doubt it. I usually buy the R1 or R3 if available as they'll be half or more the price of the R2J.

I've got the R2J and R1 Alien set. I haven't really compared the PQ, only bought the R2Js for DTS. You'd think the R2J versions would have less bits allocated to PQ because of the inclusion of the DTS track.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Dave,

When both an R1 US superbit and an R2 Japanese superbit exist for the same title they are usually the same. The difference being the more classy Japanese packing and coverart.

The one exception is Dr. Strangelove, the Japanese SB came out long before the US disc, which features a better transfer from the newly found elements. Moreover, the japanese disc AR is 1.33:1 while the US is in 1.66:1 (when it comes to Kubrick films we know correct aspect ratios are questionable). But I like the 1.66 framing better and it also has RAH approval.

The Ghostbusters SB is also debatable, since the new R1 features new transfers, but no DTS tracks.

However, FOX Japan Ultimate Editions sometimes have better transfers or better enconding. The Terminator and the Alien Set comes to mind, specially Alien Resurrection which appears to be the only version in the world with the accurate color timming

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanx, Alex!

I did order the Japanese CE3K SB. Wish I hadn't missed out on The Jurassic Park one. I AM curious as to the PQ comparison of TAXI DRIVER.

:) d

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Jurassic Park superbit is much better than the R1 release. You can still get them if you really want one. I have a source in Tokoyo who can get you a sealed one but it will cost plenty. He got me one.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Easily over $75 dollars. Depends on the supply that's available, and with it being out of print, I'm sure it's short. Plus you have to ship from Japan. Not cheap, but you can get it if you really really want it. It is however, much better than the R1 release. PM me if you want and I can tell you how to get in contact with the gentleman who got mine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale