The superb Denon 1600 ties the RP-82 in Secrets shootout update.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jan 29, 2003.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

......As did the Panny XP-30 which retails for $299.95. The Denon goes for $499.95. People are spending up to $400.00 for the 82 on ebay, so it would probably be better to grab the XP-30 or the Denon 1600 with its superb Burr-Brown based DVD-A/redbook CD playback. The Denon also has a nicer remote than the 82 imho, but sadly only has a digital toslink output. The Denon is also very quiet and refined during playback with no transport noise whatsoever. So now, there is NO EXCUSE to spend $350.00-$450.00 for an 82 on Ebay when other options can be purchased brand new[​IMG] .

Reg

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

The Denon has plenty of freaking whirring and noise especially on startup. It does die down though. The remote is still bad. The Denon is what people should be buying if you're freaking out over the rp82. I'm on hold b/c my current player is good enough.

3. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

What kind of aspect ratio controls does the Denon 1600 have? Will it at least windowbox a 4:3 picture? Yuck toslink[​IMG]

4. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I was very surprised to see the XP-30 do as well as the RP82. I really haven't gotten into DVD-A yet so I'll probably pick up the XP-30 and check it out.

Chris S.

5. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Now the mad dash for the XP-30 ensues....

The XP-30 has the same video section as the RP-82 so it's no surprise that they perform equally. I bet Panasonic pulled the RP-82 because it was crippling XP-50 sales. I'm sure they make more profit from an XP-50 considering that they seem to be very similar in all regards.

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Adil,

As the owner of a 1600 I have to somewhat disagree with you. When I speak of the 1600 being quiet, I am talking about during playback of movies. It is dead silent. There is a little noise when I first insert a CD or DVD-A, which I believe is the laser indentifying what the disc is. Other than this, it is quiet during general operation. Several owners here have compared the 1600 with the RP-82 and found the 1600 quieter.

Peter,

What's wrong with toslink? Don't you have a receiver which handles both toslink and coaxial? I have never heard a difference between either of them, but think the coaxial cables are more durable. Honestly, this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me on this player, though it should DEFINITELY have one at its $500.00 price point. Denon did drop the ball in this respect.

Reg

7. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

I'm still kicking around the idea of whether to pickup a Denon 1600 or hold off to get a SACD/DVD-A combo player. Right now I have a Sony SACD but it's not progressive or DVD-A. Would like to have the best of both worlds. [​IMG]

-Jeramy

8. Han

Han Second Unit

ReggieW,
    Can you confirm that the Denon 1600 is no better than the typical player when it comes with layer change speed?

The results from Secrets for the 1600 and 900 seem to support the idea that the whole buffer thing is useless, and it's really the DVD-ROM drive vs. standalone drive thing that makes the difference in layer change speed. Hence the Denon 2800 and up being fast, along with the PC based software players.

9. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

What about the Denon 900.. anybody have any opinions on that??

It seems to be a little cheaper and offers the benefit of both Digital Coax and Optical outputs. [​IMG]

10. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

The XP30 uses the same Faroudja deinterlacer as the RP82, but it uses the MPEG decoder found in the CP62 - they're different.

11. Steve_AA

Steve_AA Agent

The Denon 900 has been described in another forum as having an "overly soft" picture. Secrets attributes this to the uneven video frequency response of the 900.

12. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

The 1600 does not use a buffer like the 3800/9000 do.

13. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Why did the Denon 1600 do better than the RP56? Isn't the 1600 a RP56 with the Bur-Brown chip for CD playback? Not that I am complaining, I love my 1600 [​IMG]

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Ken,

The 1600 uses the better MPEG decoder found in the RP-82 and RP-91 instead of the one found in the Rp-56. The MPEG decoder effects the picture quality a great deal as well. The 1600 does use Burr-Brown DAC's for DVD-A/CD playback. The RP-56 was never DVD-A enabled.

Reg

15. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

16. Bill Spahn

Bill Spahn Auditioning

17. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Reggie,
    I am a former owner of the Denon 1600 so my opinon holds the same merit.

18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Yes, it seems there's some confusion about the internals of the XP30. I saw the post at AVS Forum, and another person with the US version has popped the cover on his player and confirmed that it has the RP82 decoder. There is also some discussion going on asserting that some US models have the RP82 decoder and some have the RP62 decoder, depending on manfacture date. Looks like it may take a few days for all of this to shake out.

19. Han

Han Second Unit

This from Denon's website.
    Denon 1600

20. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S