What's new

The Sunboxsub (SBS) - from the construction progress - It's done! (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
Well we managed to get "the beast" down to my home theater yesterday evening (manage to put it in the back of a Honda Accord 4-dr) ;) We listened to it without any real calibrations except for moving the DD LFE to -6db. In the room that I have, the sound is really reinforced by the nice thick walls (5/8" firecore sheetrock). I will do more testing this weekend and give a more formal review of the SBS that Patrick built. The thing definitely towers over my existing PSB Image 4T's. :)
Thanks again to P@
Leo

Leo

Second Unit
REVIEW:
Well it was Saturday morning and I decided the house was just too quiet. So I went to my movie theater and decided to test out the new SBS Sub by Patrick Sun. I picked several films known for a good deal of low frequency signals. The movies were - Jurassic Park DTS LD (Chapter 26 - T-Rex), Gladiator DTS DVD, Star Wars TPM (Pod Race), Matrix (Slimy Wakeup), Airforce One (Opening sequence) and The Fifth Element DTS Superbit (Diva sequence).
Upon firing up each disc, a permanent smile was affixed to my face. :D The T-Rex was wandering around my room tearing things apart while I smiled gleefully. Anakin's pod racer zoomed around my speakers and never bottomed out my new sub. The tigers from Gladiator were growling hungrily searching my theater for fresh meat. The bass thumped happily to the rhythmic beats of the Diva and Leeloo kicking butt respectively
Now previously my sub was a PSB Subsonic 1 which was decent, but with the SBS in place it showed it was very inadequate for my room. I originally had to use the PSB Image 4T's on the large and route the LFE signals to both the 4T's and the Subsonic I. This is no longer the case with the SBS. The SBS is a full grown monster and loves every low frequency I can feed it...and it wants more (I thought that was my stomach growling, but it's actually the SBS sub). I felt like Seymour trying to satisfy Audrey with more DVD's and LD's in my collection.
Some facts about the sub are there is a detachable power cord, it's a 250watt plate amp, with a SVS 12" woofer. Pat was nice enough to give a smooth finish which I'll only have to paint with my choice of color (probably black). So I'll continue to play and tweak with it, but my hats off to Pat for building such a fantastic sub. Oh, and the latest word is that it meets the W.A.F. which is a big plus!
Here are a few shots of the room with the new sub (notice how it dwarfs the Image 4T :) )
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...b/DSCN1950.jpg
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/at...b/DSCN1962.jpg

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Leo,
That's pretty cool! And you're right, it does dwarf those PSB's. But I've just got one question for you. Since you have a dedicated room, who gives a damn about WAF? :)
Brian

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Leo,

That's pretty cool! And you're right, it does dwarf those PSB's. But I've just got one question for you. Since you have a dedicated room, who gives a damn about WAF?

Brian
Apparently Leo. My theory is to have the whole setup and system done before I find the woman. Then I won't have to worry about WAF. (I'm 22 and very single at the moment).

Seth

Leo

Second Unit
Well the wife played a big part in the room. We bought the new house this time last year. And within 6 months the theater construction began. She and I both are movie fans. She picked out the leather furniture, found the movie posters and frames I wanted. I picked out the 65in HDTV. She picked the colors of the walls and carpet (blue). This was an expensive venture which we both funded. It has been great. We both love movies. Gotta love a woman who doesn't object to your first date movie being Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks