What's new

The suckiness of downgrading before upgrading (long). (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Colin, your know what man...I'm sorry, and I simpathize. My wording of the title really does not state what I am trying to get across.

My major point is, is that I am in the mindset to want to upgrade. I am a recent college graduate who luckily got a decent job and actually should have the funds to make some upgrades. But life throws you curves.

So at a time in my life that I am interest in upgrading, because of these curves, I am unable to.

Then my already satisfying receiver breaks and now, instead of being able to upgrade, I have to downgrade.

I'm more than sure that I will be happy with this new receiver "as a replacment". But my hunger is still there.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
By all means, man, do it. Really - you have to do things like that. Nirvana is different to all of us, and it's a moving target always.

Like bikes (bicycle) - I started with BMX, got a decent roadie, MTB, hi-buck roadie, tons of money. Worried all the time about little details, new gadgets...

What do I ride now? Nice, mid to top of the line vintage 80's. Why? Diminishing returns, fulfillment of the fundamental need.

Lance wannabes snicker, but I don't race, I ride for the fun of it. Some cyclists might nod in understanding.

Now, with HT, I did the seperates. Not the latest and greatest, but respectable nonetheless. What do I have now? Like Philip, a dated middlin AVR and I'm just happy with it. I do have pre-outs in case I try heavy speaker loads, but that's more for my 2-channel. That's where my Nirvana lies, I just know it. Thank god I'm finding it for under $500.

Sorry for being an ass earlier. Just don't get depressed when you look at the rack and don't see a Theta or Proceed sitting there. Close your eyes and listen or watch the flick and ask yourself how good does it need to be before it's good enough.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One other option you might want to consider is to wait a little while and buy a receiver that maybe costs a little more than you were already thinking that has preamp outputs (I bought the Outlaw 1070 and love it but I think theres cheaper receivers with preamp outputs), and then when you feel you've outgrown the receiver (and have better funding) then upgrade to a separate amp, and finally, when the receiver as a preamp isn't working for you in a few years down the line, then upgrade that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks