The sub of all subs, in home theater?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by farnamT, Jan 29, 2002.

1. farnamT

farnamT Agent

I've see some subs in my day, but i have to admit this is the most powerful. 4.3 inches of excursion is just scary. What if you put this in a home enclouse, and feed it 1000 watts of power. Don't you think that would beat any of the subs out there.[​IMG] http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/RFL.cfm

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

It would be loud but would sound like crap doing it. Even they say its not designed to sound good.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

personaly...I'm into car audio also...and MTX subs are not that great!.... Not nocking that sub.. but MTX is not looked at favorably in the Car audio world either -Now if you were to take a 9515 by DD... that would be the sub to do it.

4. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Thomas: MTX not looked at favorably? I'll admit their subs are not the best. (i have a pair of JL Audio 12w3s in an 89 Ford Ranger) Their amps are great. I use a 500d to power the JLs. They slam very very good. I'd say their amps are some of the best you can get for the price. They perform very well. Yes, not high-end like MacIntosh or possibly Xtant, but I can't afford those.

5. Anthony Sa

Anthony Sa Agent

I have a MTX 81000D amp in my car, i like their amps. Their subs are really really bad in my opinion. they just dont sound good. I believe that the ultimate home theater (or car) sub would be the Ground Works Plutonium.
    http://www.bassworx.com/.
    goto: distribution -> ground zero -> plutonium
    That sub is a BEAST and is suppost to have a Sound Quality that rivals top SQ subs. I mean just look at that thing! 90mm of excursion! if they werent so expensive I would get one for my house, but they are over $1000 last time I checked. You could get like 8 Tempests for the price of one of those suckers. Wow, just Imagine 8 Tempests - 4, dual tempest sonotubes ported low, around 15hz. hmm, ohh wow. be right back, got to go clean up!